List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Site of CHURCH [Forteviot] Site of Church supposed 9th. Century
Site of Church supposed 9th. Century
Mr. Rutherford Railway Inn
Robert McGregor. Beedle Forteviot
109 [Situation] Adjoining the parish church This is the site of the old parish church which was disused previous to 1774 being the year in which the present church was built as appears by date cut in stone. The site has been pointed out by Mr. Rutherford and by Robert McGregor the latter is grave digger and in his progress of digging graves he has dug up part of the foundation several times. All the inhabitants speak of the church as being very ancient and a very small church but there appears to be no very definite tradition as to its age or history.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 39

Parish of Forteviot -- Sheet 109 No.6 Trace 3

"The ancient church of Forteviot is said to have been founded by Hungus King of the Picts, who lived
near the time of the Downfall of the Pictish Kingdom and to whom this district belonged. It was
in an early period attached to the Abbey of Cambus Kenneth, and was afterwards given to the College of
St. Andrews; which college and the family of Belshes of Invermay are patrons." Old Stat. Accts. Vol. [Old Statistical Account Volume] 20. p. [page] 121

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Trondragirl- Moderator, KBMW- Moderator

  Location information for this page.