Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/22/5/40

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 40 -- Examiners replies to the underlined portions
United Parishes of Croy and Dalcross
Extracts from New Statistical Account

The date of the union is uncertain; but from charters in the family of
Inches, it must have taken place between the year 1446 and 1500.
Dalcross of old formed a part of the Lordship of Lovat And is all
Situated in the County of Inverness; Croy is partly situated in the County
of Inverness and partly in Nairn; but so confused and commingled
are the boundaries, that they are not to be easily determined.
From 5 miles to the east of the church, the form resembles an irregular parallelogram
with offsets to the south of the River Nairne, its natural boundary................................................ -- shown
From two miles west from the church, the parish stretches to the south for about
9 miles, where it meets the northern summit of the Strathdearn Mountains............................... -- without the
where it gradually descends forming every immaginable angle and sinuosity......................... -- boundary line
in a south west direction, where it meets the River Nairne nearly opposite
the church of Daviot, About 5 miles to the west from the parish church and
near Culloden Field, the parish is intersected for some




hundred yards, by................................. -- Site of the Battle of
the parishes of Petty and Daviot. From this point, it extends for about....................................... -- Culloden shown
3 miles, where it is again intersected by the parishes of Inverness & Daviot;........................... -- Vide Plan
where it extends in a south west direction, and terminates in a point at
the junction of the parishes of Dunlichity. The extreme length, from the.................................... -- Blàr nam Fiadh Moss of the Deer
north east of Blarna Fiadh, (Deer's Forest,) to the south west of Culduthel............................... -- is written and described
Moor is upwards of 20 miles, and average breadth about 3½ miles.......................................... -- the latter name is obsolete.
Between Dalcross and the western district of the parish, called Leys, there............................ -- shown
are about 1700 acres of moor nearly level; the soil is composed of sand,
mortar and clay. The upper end of Inches in this district forms an exception........................... -- In Inverness Ph. [Parish]
the soil is found to be exceedingly rich. Culdoich and Daltulich................................................ -- Daltulich shown
rich and incumbent on a species of Schistus, and Hough with a high
and northern exposure, bear luxuriant crops.
Antiquities - In draining a lake at the east end of the parish, an artificial Mound appeared within a few yards of the shore.................... -- Shown appeared within a few yards of the shore, about 60 feet in circumference and...... -- Shown
[5] feet in height. It was formed of Alternate strata of stones, earth, and oak;
[stakes] of oak being driven in the ground, were kept strongly fixed by transverse
beams of smaller size. Over these were round stones, And on the surface Some inches
of fine black mould. Some fragments of brass rings, pieces of potteries, ................................... -- Shown on Trace & noted in Name Book

Transcriber's notes

Unable to transcribe 3 Words at bottom of text, page folded over, ripped.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Bizzy- Moderator

  There are no linked mapsheets.