Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/22/4/48

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 48 ............................................................................................-- Examiners replies to each of the underlined portions

There are four schools in the parish, all more or less endowed
The well known Brackla distillery, which is the only....................................... -- Shown as "Royal
one in Scotland, we believe, privileged to use the Royal................................ -- Brackla Distillery"
Arms, and supply the Royal table, has been in operation
on an extensive scale in the parish for many years.
The following is taken from Old Statistical Account
Calder Aparish..................................................................................... -- Written Cawdor
burn of Calder..................................................................................... -- Written Cawdor Burn
Water of Nairn also river of Nairn........................................................ -- River Nairn Shown
Wood of Calder.................................................................................... -- Shown as Cawdor Wood
river of Findhorn.................................................................................. -- River Findhorn
The following is taken from Fullarton's Gazetteer
Calder, or Cawdor, a parish situated chiefly in the
county of Nairn, but of which a small part lies in Inverness
rivulet of Calder................................................................................... -- Cawdor Burn -- }
water of Nairn..................................................................................... -- River Nairn -- -- } Thus written
The Findhorn....................................................................................... -- River Findhorn - } on Traces
Calder Avillage.................................................................................... -- Cawdor -- -- -- --}
Church built in 1619.............................................................................. -- Shown
At some distance to the eastward of the church is the
house of Calder, a seat of Lord Cawdor. The Thanes of
of Calder, as constables of the Kings house resided in the
Castle of Nairn, and had a country seat at what is now.................................. -- Situated at the town of
called Old Calder, half a mile north of the present seat,................................. -- that name
vestiges whereof still remain. But by a royal license, dated............................. -- Site cannot be ascertained
6th of August 1454, they built the present tower of Calder -............................ -- A portion of the Castle, not
now Cawdor. It has formerly been a place of great strength............................ -- thus designated.
The walls of the tower are of great thickness, arched at the top,
and surrounded with battlements. The rest of the house is of
later erection, though far from modern.
Mr. Fraser Tytler thus describes this interesting relic of feudal
ages: "The whole of Cawdor castle is peculiarly calculated.............................. -- Shown
to impress the mind with a retrospect of past ages, feudal customs,
[continued on page 49]
48

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, Bizzy- Moderator

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.