Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Nairnshire volume 02

Page List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks Continued entries/extra info Transcriber's notes
OS1/22/2/1 ARDCLACH [parish] Ardclach Ardclach Ardclach Ardclach Ardclach Ardclach New Statistical Account Old Statistical Account Fullarton's Gazetteer Survey of the Province of Moray Sheriff's List of Parishes Registrar's Return 1862 The Parish of Ardclach is in the Presbytery of Nairn, Synod of Moray. It is bounded on the north by the parish of Auldearn on the west by the parishes of Nairn and Cawdor, on the south by the parishes of Duthil and Rothiemurchus & Cromdale Inverallan and Advie; and on the east by the parishes of Edinkillie & Dyke and Moy. There are two detached portions of this parish which also form detached parts of the County of Nairn locally situated within the parish of Edinkillie. But there are no detached portions of another parish situated within the parish of Ardclach.
OS1/22/2/1 [page]1 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/1 Ardclach - written beneath this entry on original page - In Parish Character
OS1/22/2/2 [page]2 [this page is blank]
OS1/22/2/3 HILLHEAD Hillhead Hillhead Hillhead Rent Book Mr Ross Ground Officer Mr. James McDonald 005 This name applies to a few small cottar houses, all one story high, thatched and in fair repair - James Brodie Esq. of Lethen proprietor. All the houses except one are situated in the parish of Auldearn
OS1/22/2/3 NEW FLEENAS New Fleenas New Fleenas New Fleenas New Fleenas Rent Receipt Mr James Ellis Tenant Rent Book Ground Officer 005 A farm house one storey high with offices attached it is thatched and in fair repair property of James Brodie Esq. of Brodie
OS1/22/2/3 [page]3 County of Nairn -- Ph. [Parish] of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/4 BLACK BURN Black Burn Black Burn Black Burn Mr Ross, Ground Officer Mr James McDonald Merchant Littlemill Mr William Grant, Fleenas na gael 005 ; 008 A small burn which is the continuation of the Burn of Blarandualt, and flowing in a Southern direction until it falls into the Muckle Burn, a short distance below the hamlet of Littlemill, It derives its name from the darkness of its water and separates the parish of Ardclach from that of Nairn
OS1/22/2/4 FLEENASNAGAEL Fleenasnagael Fleenasnagael Fleenasnagael Rent Book Mr Ross, Ground Officer William Grant, Tenant Alexander McDonald, Tenant 005 This name is applied to two farm houses, built near each other, and being one story high, with offices attached, thatched and in middling repair. It is on the Lethen Estate
OS1/22/2/4 LITTLEMILL Littlemill Littlemill Littlemill Rent Book Mr Ross Mr McDonald, Grocer, Littlemill 005 This name is applied to several small houses, comprising A grocer's shop, smithy, corn mill, and saw mill, as well as several small dwelling houses, all one storey high, thatched, and in good repair, James Brodie Esqr of Lethen proprietor
OS1/22/2/4 [page] 4 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph. [Parish]
OS1/22/2/5 DRUM Drum Drum Drum Rent Receipt Rent Book Mr Ross Ground Officer 005 A small farm house recently erected, one storey high, with suitable offices attached, the former slated and in good repair, the latter thatched, and only in middling repair On the Lethen Estate
OS1/22/2/5 LAIKEN Laiken Laiken Laiken Rent Book Mr Ross Ground Officer Rent Receipts 005 This name applies to two small farm houses, one storey high with offices attached; thatched, and in middling repair. They are on the Lethen Estate
OS1/22/2/5 SLAGACHORIE Slagachorie Slagachorie Slagachorie Slagachorie Rent Book Mr Ross, Ground Officer Mr D. McIntosh, Tenant Mr Alexander Ross, Tenant 005 This name is applied to three small farm houses one storey high with suitable offices attached thatched and in good repair. James Brodie Esqr of Lethen proprietor
OS1/22/2/5 [page] 5 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Parish
OS1/22/2/6 ACHAVELGIN Achavelgin Achavelgin Achavelgin Achavelgin Rent Book Mr John Clark, Tenant Rent Book Mr Ross 005 A large farm house one storey high, with stables bar byre etc attached, thatched, and in fair repair It is on the Lethen Estate
OS1/22/2/6 FLEENASMILL Fleenasmill Fleenasmill Fleenasmill Rent Receipt Rent Book Mr Ross 005 A small farm house one storey high, with outhouses attached, thatched and in fair repair. It was formerly a corn mill, but has changed to a small farm It is on the Lethen Estate
OS1/22/2/6 TOMSHOGLE Tomshogle Tomshogle Tomshogle Rent Receipt John McArthur, Tenant Rent Book Mr Ross, Ground Officer 005 A farm house one storey high, with numerous offices attached, the whole thatched, and only in middling repair It is on the Lethen Estate
OS1/22/2/6 [page] 6 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph. [Parish]
OS1/22/2/7 FORNIGHTY Fornighty Fornighty Fornighty Mr. Ross Mr. Riach Rent Rolls, 1862. 005 Is applied to a farmsteading, farmhouse, schoolroom, and five dwellings. The former two are two storeys high and slated, the latter one storey and thatched. Property of J. Brodie Esq.
OS1/22/2/7 MILL OF LETHEN (Corn ; Flour & Saw) Mill of Lethen Mill of Lethen Mill of Lethen Mr Roy Miller Mr Ross Mr Riach 005 A corn and flour mill, sawmill, farmsteading, and dwelling-house, partly slated and partly thatched. Property of J Brodie Esq
OS1/22/2/7 MUCKLE BURN Muckle Burn Muckle Burn Muckle Burn Mr Roy Mr Ross Mr Riach 005 ; 008 A large stream which has its source on the hills and bears the name of Allt na Leacainn until it joins Caochan Dir na Lair when it then takes the name of Muckle Burn. Its course for a considerable way is mid way between the Rivers Nairn and Findhorn, it falls into the latter river at Forres.
OS1/22/2/7 FREE CHURCH SCHOOL [Fornighty] 005
OS1/22/2/7 [page] 7 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/7 Under the first entry (for Fornighty) it says "This name is written to each of the objects, so as to make it plainer, and also to agree with Capt [Captain] Parsons Remarks on former parishes" J.M.
OS1/22/2/8 RED BURN Red Burn Red Burn Red Burn Mr Ross Mr Roy, Mill of Lethen Mr Reach 005 This is a considerable stream rising at the south of the parish, flowing in a north easterly direction, and joining the Muckle Burn at the Mill of Lethen
OS1/22/2/8 WAUKMILL Waulkmill Waulkmill Waulkmill Mr. Ross, Forester, Lethen Mr Reach, Schoolmaster, Fornighty Rent Rolls, 1862 005 A small farmhouse with offices to suit attached, one storey high, thatched and in bad condition. Property of J. Brodie Esq
OS1/22/2/8 FREE CHURCH SCHOOL Free Church School Free Church School Free Church School Mr Ross Mr Reach schoolmaster Mr. D. McIntosh, Braeside 005 A small schoolroom attached to which is accommodation for the teacher. It is supported by the Free Church and school fees. Average number attending is 30.
OS1/22/2/8 [page] 8 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/8 Red Burn - the words "the south of the parish" are ringed and the words "not correct" added alongside Lethen Bar - this entry has been crossed out - note written beneath which states "Cancelled This farm has been removed" with illegible initials. The scored out Descriptive Remarks are as follows:- "This name applies to a large farmsteading, farmhouse and the remains of a steading which lie a short way eastward from the steading. Property of J. Brodie Esq."
OS1/22/2/9 GARROWSTRIPE Garrowstripe Garrowstripe Garrowstripe Lease. Mr Ross, Ground Officer, Lethen William Grigor Esqr, Factor, Elgin 005 A dwelling house one storey high with outhouses attached, thatched and in fair repair It was formerly a separate farm but is now joined to Bravail J. C. Brodie Esq proprietor
OS1/22/2/9 TOMNAGEE Tomnagee Tomnagee Tomnagee Mr Hay, Tenant Mr Ross, Ground Officer William Grigor Esqr, Factor 005 A farm house one storey high, with suitable outhouses attached, slated, and in good repair J. C. Brodie Esqr proprietor
OS1/22/2/9 [page] 9 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph. [Parish]
OS1/22/2/10 BREVAIL Brevail Brevail Brevail William Grigor Esqr. Factor Mr Murdoch Morrison, Tenant Mr Ross, Ground Officer 005 This is a large farm house one storey high, with numerous offices detached a short distance to the west, the whole slated, and in very good repair J. C. Brodie Esqr. of Lethen proprietor.
OS1/22/2/10 [page] 10 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph. [Parish]
OS1/22/2/10 Brevail - There is a continuation in descriptive remarks scored out, which says "in a field about a quarter of a mile to the south of this house there is a small hollow (which was once a lime stone quarry, but which is now cultivated) in which were found some fossil fishes and shells, and some of which were taken away by Dr Griggor, and placed in the Nairn Museum. It is also on the Lethen Estate."
OS1/22/2/11 CLUNE Clune Clune Clune William Grigor Esqr Mr Ross Mr Hay 005 Two or three small croft Houses, one storey high thatched and in middling repair, situated chiefly in the Parish of Auldearn only one of the houses being partly in Ardclach, the Parish Boundary running through the centre of it J C Brodie Esqr of Lethen Proprietor
OS1/22/2/11 [page] 11 County of Inverness -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/11 Hill of Urchany on original page and a note "See name Book of the Ph. [Parish] of Nairn for description and authorities"
OS1/22/2/12 BROADSHAW Broadshaw Broadshaw Broadshaw William Fraser, Wester Craigiemore Mr Ross William Grigor Esqr 005 This name applies to a district containing several small farms, and lying partly in the county of Elgin and partly in the Co [County] of Nairn It lies on the East side of the Muckle Burn, on a low ridge, and is about 2½ miles long, by about 1 broad. It includes part of the property of the Earl of Cawdor, J. C. Brodie Esqr and Lord Moray of Darnaway Castle
OS1/22/2/12 WESTER POTGREENIE Wester Potgreenie Wester Potgreenie Wester Potgreenie Mr. D. McIntosh, Tenant Mr Ross, Ground Officer William Grigor Esqr, Factor Elgin 005 A small farm house one storey high, with offices attached, thatched and in middling repair J. C. Brodie Esqr proprietor
OS1/22/2/12 [page] 12 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph. [Parish]
OS1/22/2/12 Broadshaw - Below the name in the first column there are the words "In large Stamp as a District."
OS1/22/2/13 EASTER CRAIGIEMORE Easter Craigiemore Easter Craigiemore Easter Craigiemore Alexander Donaldson, Tenant Mr Ross, Ground Officer William Grigor, Esqr. Factor, Elgin 005 A farm house in the district of Broadshaw, one storey high, with offices attached, thatched, and in fair repair J. C. Brodie Esqr proprietor
OS1/22/2/13 EASTER POTGREENIE Easter Potgreenie Easter Potgreenie Easter Potgreenie Mr. J. McIntosh Tenant Mr Ross, Ground Officer William Grigor, Esqr. Factor 005 A small farm house in Broadshaw, one storey high, with outhouses attached thatched and in fair repair J. C. Brodie Esqr proprietor
OS1/22/2/13 WESTER CRAIGIEMORE Wester Craigiemore Wester Craigiemore Wester Craigiemore Wm Fraser Tenant Mr Ross, Ground Officer Lethen W Grigor, Esqr. Factor, Elgin 005 A small farm house one storey high with offices attached, thatched and in fair repair J. C. Brodie Esqr of Lethen proprietor
OS1/22/2/13 [page] 13 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph. [Parish]
OS1/22/2/14 [page] 11 [this page is blank]
OS1/22/2/15 EASTER TOMLOAN Easter Tomloan Easter Tomloan Easter Tomloan Mr Macdonald tenant Mr Duncan Macdonald Mr Davidson 008 A farm house and outoffices, one storey high thatched in good repair. Property of the Rt. Honbl [Right Honourable] the Earl of Cawdor. Cawdor Castle
OS1/22/2/15 NEW ACHAMORE New Achamore New Achamore New Achamore Mr Davidson tenant Mr Macdonald Tomloan. Mr. Duncan Macdonald (Newlands of Tomloan) 005 Two croft houses one storey high thatched and in good repair. Property of Brodie of Lethen. These croft houses are nearly a quarter of a mile separated
OS1/22/2/15 WESTER TOMLOAN Wester Tomloan Wester Tomloan Wester Tomloan Mr Macdonald tenant Mr D. Macdonald Mr Davidson 008 A farm house and outoffices, one storey high, thatched, in good repair. Property of the Earl of Cawdor.
OS1/22/2/15 [page] 15 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/16 BRUACHMARY BURN Broughmary Burn Broughmary Burn Broughmary Burn Bruachmary Burn Bruachmary Burn Mr D. McDonald Mr Macdonald Mr Davidson William Alexander Stables Mr. Mackintosh, Factors Clerk 007 ; 008 A small stream having its source near to the farmsteading of Bruachmary and flowing in a N. Easterly direction until it joins Black Burn. near to Blackmile
OS1/22/2/16 NEWLANDS OF TOMLOAN Newlands of Tomloan Newlands of Tomloan Newlands of Tomloan Mr McDonald (tenant) Mr Macdonald Mr Davidson 008 A croft house with suitable outoffices one storey high thatched, in good repair. property of the Earl of Cawdor
OS1/22/2/16 [page] 16 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/17 ACHAMORE Achamore Achamore Achamore Achamore Achamore David McArthur Tenant Alexander Rose Midfleenas Duncan McDonald Achavrate Alexander Davison William Grigor Esqr. Newachamore 005 A Good one storey high thatched Farmsteading with good slated offices. the whole in good repair they are the property of J Brodie Esqr of Lethen
OS1/22/2/17 FORNIGHTY MOSS Fornighty Moss Fornighty Moss Fornighty Moss Fornighty Moss Fornighty Moss William Grigor Esqr. Peter Balfour Shenval Mr. Ross Ground Officer Mr McLean Belivat Duncan McDonald Achavrate 005 A tract of moss on the East side of the Co [County] Road leading from Belivat to Nairn it is about two and a half miles from Belivat and five from Nairn
OS1/22/2/17 MIDFLEENAS Midfleenas Midfleenas Midfleenas Midfleenas Midfleenas William Grigor Esqr. Factor David McArthur Achamore Alexander Rose Tenant Duncan McDonald Achavrate Alexander Davidson New Achamore 005 A good two storey thatched house with good office houses partly slated and partly thatched the whole in good repair they are the Property of Captain Gordon Cluny Castle Aberdeenshire
OS1/22/2/17 [page] 17 Co. [County] of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/17 Fornighty Moss - description continues with a scored out section saying "and is in Extent about two Hundred acres" Fornighty Moss- written beneath this entry in 1st column - Roman Capitals
OS1/22/2/18 STONE COFFINS AND HUMAN BONES FOUND HERE A.D. 1845 [Shion Hillock (Tumulus)] Stone Coffins and Human Bones found here A.D.1845 Stone Coffins and Human Bones found here A.D.1845 Stone Coffins and Human Bones found here A.D.1845 Stone Coffins and Human Bones found here A.D.1845 Stone Coffins and Human Bones found here A.D.1845 Alexander Rose Midfleenas Duncan McDonald Achavrate Alexander Davidson New Achamore Peter Balfour Shenval William Grigor Esqr. 005 In excavations made a few years since on the summit of it by Dr Greig of Nairn there were stone coffins and a quantity of human bones found in the year 1845
OS1/22/2/18 TOM FADE Tom Fade Tom Fade Tom Fade Tom Fade Tom Fade Alexander Rose Midfleenas Duncan McDonald Achavrate Alexander Davison New Achamore Peter Balfour Shenval William Grigor Esqr. Elgin 005 A small hill of cultivated ground on the East side of the Muckle Burn means the Long Knoll
OS1/22/2/18 TUMULUS [Shion Hillock] Tumulus called Shion Hilloch Tumulus called Shion Hilloch Tumulus called Shion Hilloch Tumulus called Shion Hilloch Tumulus called Shion Hilloch Alexander Rose Midfleenas Duncan McDonald Achavrate Alexander Davidson New Achamore Peter Balfour Shenval William Grigor Esqr. 005 An artificial mound or Tumulus A short distance to the North of Tomfade and on the east of the Muckle burn it is about thirty feet high and is composed of Earth In excavations made a few years since on the summit of it by Dr Greig of Nairn there were stone coffins and a quantity of human bones found in the year 1845
OS1/22/2/18 SHION HILLOCK 005
OS1/22/2/18 [page] 18 Co. [County] of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/18 Tumulus called Shion Hilloch - written beneath this entry in 1st column - Old English At the end of this page, after the entry for Tom Fade there is a scored out entry for the Muckle Burn saying "see page 7" and with a scored out description as follows:- "This Burn has its source in the South West of the parish and flows in a North Eastern direction nearly parallel to the Findhorn it enters the sea at Dalpotty near the mouth of the Findhorn
OS1/22/2/19 ORD Ord Ord Ord Ord William Brown occupier James Davison New Achamore E McDonald Wester Tomloan Duncan McDonald Newlands of Tomloan 004 A small thatched house with one small office house it is rented by William Brown and is the property of James Brodie Esqr Lethen
OS1/22/2/19 ORD LOCH Ord Loch Ord Loch Ord Loch Ord Loch William Brown James Davison E McDonald Duncan McDonald 005 A small sheet of shallow water lying to the south east of the Ord and generally used as a mill pond it is on the Property of James Broddie Esqr
OS1/22/2/19 [page] 19 Co. [County] of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/19 Black Burn - on original page has been crossed out and marked "cancelled see page 4" - description as follows:- "A large stream formed by the union of Blarandualt Burn and Bruachmary Burn at Blackmill. Its course is north easterly and about 2 miles in extent"
OS1/22/2/20 THE ORD The Ord The Ord The Ord G Mackintosh Esq W. A. Stables Geddes House Cawdor Castle Mr Mackintosh, Factor's Clerk 004 A very high wooded hill in the parishes of Nairn and Ardclach. Property of Mr. Brodie, Lethen, and the Earl of Cawdor, Cawdor Castle.
OS1/22/2/20 [page] 20 County of Nairn -- Ph. [Parish of Ardclach]
OS1/22/2/20 Burn of Blarandualt - on original page with note saying "For authorities and description see Name Book Ph. [Parish] of Nairn"
OS1/22/2/21 CAMPBELL'S SCHOOL Campbell's School (Endowed) Campbell's School (Endowed) Campbell's School (Endowed) Campbell's School (Endowed) Revd [Reverend] C. McKenzie Parish Minister Ardclach Mr. W Gibson Mr. James Coban Tenant Upper Remore William Stables Esqr. 005 A school two stories high slated and in good repair. This school is Endowed by the Late Lieut. [Lieutenant] Col. [Colonel] Campbell, East Indian Company. The daily average attendance is about 45 and the education taught consists of the ordinary branches together with Latin and Mathematics Earl of Cawdor propr. [proprietor]
OS1/22/2/21 LOCH A' BHLAIR BHIG Loch a' Bhàlir Bhig Loch a' Bhàlir Bhig Loch a' Bhàlir Bhig Revd. [Reverend] C. McKenzie Mr. James Coban Rev. [Reverend] N. Macintyre 005 A small loch situated a short distance South of Achnatone Farm House. It signifies the Loch of the Little Moss or Plain Earl of Cawdor Propr. [Proprietor]
OS1/22/2/21 [page] 21 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/22 [page] 22 [this page is blank]
OS1/22/2/23 ACHNATONE Achnatone Achnatone Achnatone Achnatone Revd [Reverend] C. Mackenzie Mr. W. Gibson Mr. C. Coban, Tenant Achnatone William Stables Esqr. Factor 005 This name applies to a farm house one story high with suitable offices the whole are thatched and in fair repair Earl of Cawdor propr. [proprietor]
OS1/22/2/23 BOG OF FORNIGHTY Bog of Fornighty Bog of Fornighty Bog of Fornighty W. Grigor Esqr. Factor Revd [Reverend] C. Mackenzie Mr. W. Gibson 005 This name applies to three small farms, or crofts, the buildings are one story high thatched and in middling repair. J. C. Brodie Esqr propr. [proprietor]
OS1/22/2/23 [page] 23 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/24 KRONYHILLOCK Kronyhillock Kronyhillock Kronyhillock W. Grigor Esqr Revd. [Reverend] C Mackenzie Mr. W. Gibson 005 A small farm house one story high, thatched and in good repair J. C. Brodie Esqr. proprietor
OS1/22/2/24 LOWER REMORE Lower Remore Lower Remore Lower Remore W. Grigor Esqr Revd. [Reverend] C. McKenzie Mr. W Gibson schoolmaster New Inn 008 A farm house one story high with suitable offices attached, the whole are thatched and in good repair. J. C. Brodie Esqr. Lethen proprietor
OS1/22/2/24 UPPER REMORE Upper Remore Upper Remore Upper Remore W. Grigor Esqr Revd. [Reverend] C Mackenzie Mr. W. Gibson 005 A farm house one story high with suitable offices attached, the whole are thatched and in fair repair J. C. Brodie Esqr. propr. [proprietor]
OS1/22/2/24 [page] 24 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/25 LETHEN BAR Lethen Bar Lethen Bar Lethen Bar Lethen Bar William Grigor Esqr. Factor Mr Ross Ground Officer Lethen Mr. McLean Mountpleasant James Fraser Crockanvenie 005 A wooded hill lying to the South of Lethen House it is about Seven or Eight hundred feet high and commands a most extensive view of the surrounding Country. J. C. Brodie Esqr. Proprietor
OS1/22/2/25 CROCKANVENIE Crockanvenie Crockanvenie Crockanvenie Crockanvenie William Grigor Esqr. James Fraser Occupier Mr. McLean Mountpleasant Mr. McPherson Mountpleasant 005 A small thatch house with vegetable garden attached it is the Property of James Brodie Esqr of Lethen
OS1/22/2/25 HOLLYBUSH Hollybush Hollybush Hollybush Hollybush Mr Ross Ground Officer Mr. McLean Mountpleasant William Grigor Esqr James Fraser Crockanvenie 005 A small thatched house with suitable offices attached occupied by John McKenzie and on the property of James Brodie Esqr of Lethen
OS1/22/2/25 [page] 25 Co [County] of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/25 Lethen Bar - in descriptive remarks column there is a pencil line from the word hundred with note - not now correct EH
OS1/22/2/26 [page] 26 [this page is blank]
OS1/22/2/27 GREYSTONE Greystone Greystone Greystone William Grigor Esqr. Mr. William Robertson Rev. H. McCloud 005 A farmsteading, one storey high thatched and in good repair, situated in the district of Broadshaw. Property of J. C. Brodie Esqr. Lethen
OS1/22/2/27 POOL BRAHAN Pool Brahan Mr John Paxton, Relugas Mr William Hutchinson, Auchnagairne Mr. John Lawson, Relugas 005 A conspicuous pool at the turn of the R. [River] Findhorn & situated 6 chains below Scum Pool of Dunlich
OS1/22/2/27 POOL NEISH Pool Neish Mr John Paxton, Relugas Mr William Hutchinson, Auchnagaisne Mr. John Lawson, Relugas 005 A deep pool in the River Findhorn situated 14 chains above the Bridge of Daltulich
OS1/22/2/27 SCUM POOL OF DUNLICH Scum Pool of Dunlich Scum Pool of Dunlich Scum Pool of Dunlich Mr John Paxton, Relugas Mr William Hutchinson, Auchnagairne Mr. John Lawson, Relugas 005 A conspicuous pool in the River Findhorn situated about 6 chains from the point where the River Findhorn enters the parish, a well known name
OS1/22/2/27 SLATE POOL Slate Pool Mr John Paxton, Relugas Mr William Hutchinson, Auchnagaisne Mr. John Lawson, Relugas 005 A deep & narrow Pool in the River Findhorn situated 11 chains below Pool Brahan
OS1/22/2/27 [page] 27 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/28 DALTULICH Daltulich Daltulich Daltulich William Grigor Esqr. Factor Elgin Mr. William Robertson Schoolmaster Relugas Rev. [Reverend] Henry McLeod Free Church Ardclach 005 A farm steading & dwelling houses one storey high thatched & in middling repair. Property of J. Brodie Esqr. Lethen
OS1/22/2/28 DALTULICH BRIDGE Daltulich Bridge Daltulich Bridge Daltulich Bridge William Grigor Esqr. Rev. [Reverend] H. McLeod Mr. Robertson 005 A stone Bridge built over the River Findhorn about A.D 1790. It is situated about ½ mile W. of Relugas or Maidenrow & about 1 mile N. E. of Coulmony House - Property of the County.
OS1/22/2/28 SHAW HILL Shaw Hill Shaw Hill Shaw Hill Mr. Robertson William Grigor Esqr. Rev. [Reverend] H. McLeod 005 A large hill planted with Fir Wood situated near the south boundary of Broad Shaw & about 1 mile N. of Coulmony House & near the River Findhorn at Daltulich Bridge - Property of J. Brodie Esqr., Lethen.
OS1/22/2/28 STONE COFFIN CONTAINING HUMAN REMAINS FOUND HERE A.D. 1860 [Daltulich] Stone Coffin containing human remains found here A.D.1860. Stone Coffin containing human remains found here A.D.1860. Stone Coffin containing human remains found here A.D.1860. William Grigor Esqr. Factor Elgin Mr. William Robertson Schoolmaster Relugas Rev. [Reverend] Henry McLeod Free Church Ardclach 005 There was found about ¼ mile N.W. of the above steading a stone coffin containing human remains about AD.1860.
OS1/22/2/28 [page] 28 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/28 Daltulich Bridge - written beneath this entry on original page - Roman Print
OS1/22/2/29 ACHAVRATE Achavrate George McDonald Tenant Duncan McDonald Achavrate Alexander Rose Midfleenas Peter Balfour Shenval 008 A one storey thatched house with good slated office houses attached it is situated to the west of the Muckle Burn and near the Co [County] Road leading from Belivat to Cawdor and is the Property of Capt [Captain] Gordon Cluny Castle Aberdeenshire
OS1/22/2/29 FLEENASMORE Fleenasmore William Stables Esqr. William Forbes Tenant Alexander Rose Midfleenas Duncan McDonald Achavrate Rent Book Peter Balfour Shenval 008 A good one storey slate house with good slated office houses and a number of old dilapidated thatched huts They are on the Property of the Earl of Cawdor
OS1/22/2/29 NEW ACHAMORE New Achamore New Achamore New Achamore New Achamore New Achamore William Grigor Esqr. Solicitor Elgin Alexander Davison Tenant Alexander Rose Midfleenas Duncan McDonald Achavrate Peter Balfour Shenval 005 A one storey thatched house with slated office house it is the property of James Brodie Esqr of Lethen
OS1/22/2/29 [page] 29 Co [County] of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/29 Between the entries for New Achamore and Achravate there is a scored out entry for Black Burn accompanied by the remark "See page 4 for this name" and illegible initials. The scored out Description is as follows:- "This burn receives the name of Black Burn from Black Mill till it joins the Muckle Burn a little to the East of the Co Road from Belivat to Nairn"
OS1/22/2/30 BLACK STRIPE Black Stripe Duncan McDonald Acharvate William McDonald Acharvate John Rose Newlands of Fleenas Alexander McPherson Newlands of Knockanoern 008 A small stream having its source near Highland Boath and running in an Eastern direction till it meets the Muckle Burn a little to the south of Achravate Farmsteading
OS1/22/2/30 KEPPERNACH Keppernach Keppernach Keppernach Keppernach Keppernach William Forbes Fleenasmore Alexander Rose Midfleenas Rent Book Duncan McDonald Achavrate William Stables Esqr. 008 A new two storey slated house with inferior thatched office houses in bad repair it is occupied by Mr MacBain and is the Property of the Earl of Cawdor
OS1/22/2/30 SHENVAL Shenval Shenval Shenval Shenval Shenval William Stables Esqr. William Forbes Fleenasmore Peter Balfour Shenval Alexander Rose Midfleenas Duncan McDonald Achavrate 008 Three or four Cot houses formerly a small farmsteading but now on the farm of Keppernach they are on the Property of the Earl of Cawdor
OS1/22/2/30 [page] 30 Co [County] of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/30 Newlands of Knockeorn - this enty has been crossed out on original page and marked - "Cancelled see page 49" and illegible initials. The crossed out Description is as follows:- "A small thatched house with offices in accordance the whole in bad repair they are the property of the Earl of Cawdor" Newlands of Fleenas - this entry has been crossed out on original page and marked - "Cancelled See Name Book Sheet Plan 8/2". The crossed out Description is as follows:- "A one story thatch house with suitable office houses the whole in good repair they are the Property of the Earl of Cawdor".
OS1/22/2/31 LOWER ACHAGOUR Lower Achagour Lower Achagour Lower Achagour Lower Achagour William Grigor Esqr. George McArthur Newlands of Fleenas Rent Receipt Hector McLean Mountpleasant 008 A small one storey thatched house occupied by Donald McLennan and on the property of James Brodie Esqr of Lethan
OS1/22/2/31 REDBURN Redburn Redburn Redburn Redburn William Grigor Esqr. John McQuin Occupier Rent Receipt Hector McLean Mountpleasant 008 This name is applied to the house commonly known as Belivat Post office and also to the small house occupied by Widow McGregor the lands whereon they are built were once a commontry to belivat but are now called Redburn as Belivat lands do not Extend to the west of the Co [County] Road at this place. The House occupied by John McQuinn is a good one story slated house with Post office grocery shop and thatched office house attached there is also a small farm of land connected with the property. The house occupied by Widow McGregor is a small thatched house with one small office house and croft attached they are the Property of James Brodie Esqr of Lethan
OS1/22/2/31 [page] 31 Co [County] of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/32 POST OFFICE [Redburn] Post Office Post Office Post Office William Grigor Esqr John McQuinn H. McLean 008 A Minor office with one arrival and one despatch daily, head office Nairn. It is situated in one of the cottages at Redburn, is one storey high, slated, & in good Repair. The property of J. C. Brodie Esq. of Lethen
OS1/22/2/32 TOMNARROCH BURN Tomnarroch Burn Tomnarroch Burn Tomnarroch Burn William Grigor Esq. Factor, Elgin Mr Dougall Glenferness House Mr Leslie Drumlochan 008 ; 011 A considerable stream rising at the farm of Rearple about a mile Westward of Càrn Dubhaidh flowing in a northerly course close by the farmhouse from which it derives its name and ultimately falling into the River Findhorn at a point about 18 chains east of Ardclach Village
OS1/22/2/32 [page] 32
OS1/22/2/33 MOUNTPLEASANT Mountpleasant Mountpleasant Mountpleasant Mountpleasant William Grigor Esqr Hector McLean Tenant Rent Receipt Donald Alexander Rehaurie 008 A one storey thatched house with a couple of small office houses attached they are on the Property of James Brodie Esqr of Lethan
OS1/22/2/33 REHAURIE Rehaurie Rehaurie Rehaurie Rehaurie William Grigor Esqr. Donald Alexander Tenant Rent Receipt Hector McLean Mountpleasant 008 A one storey thatched house with thatched office house attached they are the Property of James Brodie Esqr of Lethan
OS1/22/2/33 [page] 33 Co [County] of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/33 Following the entry for Mountpleasant there is a scored out entry for Red Burn with the statement "Cancelled see page 8" and illegible initials. The scored out Description is as follows:- "This Burn has its source in the moors about a mile to the west of Belivat and runs in an East and Northern direction till it meets the Muckle Burn at the Mill of Lethen"
OS1/22/2/34 [page] 34 Co [County] of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/34 There is a scored out entry for Newlands of Fleenas with the statement "Cancelled see p49" and illegible initials. The scored out Description is as follows:- "This name is applied to three small farmsteadings occupied Respectively by John Rose, George McArthur & James McIntosh the house occupied by John Rose is a one storey thatched house with suitable office houses attached that occupied by George McArthur is a one storey thatched house with office houses partly slated and partly thatched it is situated about a Quarter of a Mile to the south of the house occupied by John Rose to which the name is written. The house occupied by James McIntosh is situated on the south side of the leading road from Belivat to Cawdor near the farmsteading of Rehaurie it is a very small thatched house with one small wooden office house They are all the Property of the Earl of Cawdor
OS1/22/2/35 EASTER BELIVAT Easter Belivat Easter Belivat Easter Belivat Mr Fraser Wester Belivat Mr Ross Ground Officer Lethen William Grigor, Esqr. Factor, Elgin 008 A farm house one storey high with offices attached thatched, and in good repair J. C. Brodie Esqr. Lethen proprietor
OS1/22/2/35 NEWTON OF BELIVAT Newton of Belivat Newton of Belivat Newton of Belivat Mr Fraser Wester Belivat Mr Ross Ground Officer, William Grigor, Esqr. Factor Elgin 008 A farm house one storey high, having offices attached the whole slated and in excellent condition J. C. Brodie Esqr proprietor
OS1/22/2/35 WESTER BELIVAT Wester Belivat Wester Belivat Wester Belivat Mr John Fraser Tenant Mr Ross Ground Officer W Grigor, Esqr. Factor, Elgin 008 A farm house one storey high, with barn byre and steading attached, the whole thatched, and in good condition J. C. Brodie Esqr proprietor
OS1/22/2/35 [page] 35 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph. [Parish]
OS1/22/2/36 [page] 36 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph. [Parish] Easter Belivat - entry on original page has been crossed out Wester Belivat - entry on original page has been crossed out Note written at bottom of page - See next page for those descriptive Remarks
OS1/22/2/37 LOCH OF BELIVAT Loch of Belivat Loch of Belivat Loch of Belivat Statistical Account Mr Fraser Belivat W. Grigor Esq. Factor, Elgin 008 This name is applied to a small loch situated at the East end of the parish and about one mile north of the parish church It is about half a mile in length and scarcely a quarter in breadth. It is said to have neither an outlet nor a stream flowing into it It lies about half a mile from, and on the West side of the river Findhorn. It is on the Lethen estate
OS1/22/2/37 [page] 37 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Parish
OS1/22/2/38 CAIRNGLASS Cairnglass Cairnglass Cairnglass James Mann Tenant Mr Ross, Gd. [Ground] Officer, Lethen W. Grigor Esqr. Factor Elgin 008 A small farm house one storey high with outhouses attached; the whole thatched and in fair condition J. C. Brodie Esqr proprietor
OS1/22/2/38 LITTLE COULMONY Little Coulmony Little Coulmony Little Coulmony Donald Davidson, Tenant Mr Ross, Lethen W. Grigor Esqr. Factor, Elgin 008 A farm house, one storey high, with suitable offices attached, thatched, and only in middling repair J. C. Brodie Esqr Lethen, proprietor
OS1/22/2/38 [page] 38 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph [Parish]
OS1/22/2/39 AIRDRIE Airdrie Airdrie Airdrie Rev. [Reverend] H McLeod Mr. W. Roger William Grigor Esqr. 008 A farm steading & dwelling house, one storey high, partly thatched & partly slated & in good repair - Property of James Dougal Esqr. Ratho by Edinburgh.
OS1/22/2/39 COULMONY HOUSE Coulmony House Coulmony House Coulmony House Rev. [Reverend] Henry McLeod Free Church, Ardcalch Mr William Roger Parish Schoolmaster, Adclach William Grigor Esqr. Factor, Elgin 008 A mansion House situarted on the West banks of the River Findhorn about 9 miles from Forres & about 1 mile S. of Daltulich Bridge. The main part of the present building was built in A.D. 1859 & the remaining part in A.D. 1746 - Property of J. Brodie Esqr Lethen
OS1/22/2/39 MAINS OF COULMONY Mains of Coulmony Mains of Coulmony Mains of Coulmony Rev. [Reverend] H McLeod Mr. W. Roger William Grigor Esqr. 008 A farm steading & dwelling house, one storey high, partly thatched & partly slated & in good repair - Property of J. Brodie Esq. Lethen.
OS1/22/2/39 [page] 39 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/40 [page] 40 [this page is blank]
OS1/22/2/41 BALVILLE Balville Balville Balville Mr Stables, Factor Mr Grant, Tenant County Valuation Roll 1867 007 A farm house, one storey high, with stables byres, and barn attached, thatched and only in a moderate state of repair, The Earl of Cawdor proprietor
OS1/22/2/41 KNOCKANEORN Knockaneorn Knockaneorn Knockaneorn Mr Stables, Cawdor Castle Mr Hugh McDonald, Tenant County Val. Roll 1866-7 007 A farm house, one storey high, with suitable offices attached, the whole thatched and in good repair The Earl of Cawdor proprietor
OS1/22/2/41 [Page] 41 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph. [Parish] Bruachmary or Broughmary Burn - this entry on original page has been crossed out and note written in 1st column - See page 16
OS1/22/2/42 [Page] 42 [this page is blank]
OS1/22/2/43 HIGHLAND BOATH Highland Boath Highland Boath Highland Boath William Alexander Stables Esq Factor Cawdor Revd [Reverend] William McPherson, Cawdor Mr. Macnaughton, Cawdor 007 ; 008 This name is applied to a small agricultural district about five miles south east of Cawdor, property of the Earl of Cawdor.
OS1/22/2/43 [Page] 43 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/43 River Findhorn - on original page with note - For authorities and description see 6 inch Name Book of Nairnshire
OS1/22/2/44 PATMUSSACH Patmussach Patmussach Patmussach Rent Receipt Mr Stables, Factor Mr James McDonald, Tent. [Tenant] 007 A farm house, one storey high with offices attached the whole thatched and in fair repair The Earl of Cawdor Proprietor
OS1/22/2/44 [Page] 44 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph. [Parish]
OS1/22/2/45 ALLT AN FHUARAIN BHÀIN Allt an Fhuarain Bhàin Allt an Fhuarain Bhàin Allt an Fhuarain Bhàin Mr Killigan, Achagour Rev. [Reverend] N. Macintyre Rev. [Reverend] J. Mackenzie 008.06 This name applies to a small burn which rises about half a mile to the South East of Achagour farm house, and runs in an northern direction until it falls into the Red Burn about 15 Chains north of Redburn Farm House. It signifies Stream of the White Well
OS1/22/2/45 [Page] 45 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph. [Parish]
OS1/22/2/46 [Page] 46 [this page is blank]
OS1/22/2/47 CARN ACHADH GAIBHRE Càrn Achadh Gaibhre Càrn Achadh Gaibhre Càrn Achadh Gaibhre Càrn Achadh Gaibhre Càrn Achadh Gaibhre Mr Killigan, Achagour farm Rev. [Reverend] N. Macintyre Rev. [Reverend] J. MacKenzie 008 A small hill covered with heather, lying about half a mile, to the South W of Achagour farm house, and forming the watershed between the river Findhorn and Muckle Burn It is a gaelic name and signifies Hill of the Goat Field
OS1/22/2/47 NEWLANDS OF ACHAGOUR Newlands of Achagour Newlands of Achagour Newlands of Achagour Rent Receipt Duncan Alexander, Tenant Mr Killigan Achagour 008 A small dwelling house one story high with offices adjoining, the whole thatched and in fair repair. It is on the Lethen Estate
OS1/22/2/47 [Page] 47 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph. [Parish]
OS1/22/2/47 Red Burn - this entry on original page has been crossed out Càrn Achadh Gaibhre - two authorities have been scored out, viz. Mr Alexander, Newlands of Achagour and Mr Frazer, Rumachroy
OS1/22/2/48 ACHAGOUR Achagour Achagour Achagour Mr Killigan, Tenant Mr Ross, Forester, Lethen County Val. [Valuation] Roll for 1866-7 008 A large farm house two storeys high, with suitable offices, the former is slated, and in excellent repair, the latter, partly slated & partly thatched and in good condition It is on the Lethen Estate
OS1/22/2/48 TOM AN UAIN Tom an Uain Tom an Uain Tom an Uain Mr Killigan, Achagour Rev. [Reverend] N Macintyre, Rothiemurchus Rev. [Reverend] J. MacKenzie, Ardclach 008 This name applies to a small knoll, lying at South side of the road leading from New Inn to Nairn and situated about ¾ of a mile to the N. E. of Achagour It signifies Knoll of the lambs
OS1/22/2/48 [Page] 48 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph. [Parish]
OS1/22/2/48 For the entry for Tom an Uain one of the authorities, Mr Alexander, Newlands of Achagour, has been scored out
OS1/22/2/49 CHALYBEATE SPRING [Newlands of Fleenas] Chalybeate Spring Chalybeate Spring Chalybeate Spring Mr Stables Factor Estate Plan Mr Kinneard, Tenant 008 There is a "Chalybeate Spring" close to one of the holdings of Newlands of Fleenas situated about 12 chains South East of Newlands of Knockaneorn
OS1/22/2/49 LUBLIESTER Lubliester Lubliester Lubliester Mr Stables Factor Estate Plan Mr Hugh McGillivray Tenant 008 A farm house one storey high with byre barn and stables attached thatched and only in a middling state of repair The Earl of Cawdor proprietor
OS1/22/2/49 NEWLANDS OF FLEENAS Newlands of Fleenas Newlands of Fleenas Newlands of Fleenas Mr Stables Factor Estate Plan Mr Kinneard, Tenant 008 This name applies to several small holdings on the East side of the Muckle Burn, they are all one storey high and have offices attached, the whole thatched and in fair repair. The Earl of Cawdor Proprietor
OS1/22/2/49 NEWLANDS OF KNOCKANEORN Newlands of Knockaneorn Newlands of Knockaneorn Newlands of Knockaneorn Mr Stables Factor, Cawdor Mr Alexander Davidson Tent. [Tenant] Estate Plan 008 Two small farm houses on storey high with offices attached, thatched and in fair repair The Earl of Cawdor proprietor
OS1/22/2/49 [Page] 49 County of Nairn -- Ardclach Ph. [Parish]
OS1/22/2/50 [Page] 50 [this page is blank]
OS1/22/2/51 ARDCLACH [farm] Ardclach Ardclach Ardclach Rev. [Reverend] H. McLeod Mr Roger William Grigor Esqr 008 A farm steading & dwelling-house one storey high, partly thatched & partly slated & in middling repair Property of J. Brodie Esqr., Lethen
OS1/22/2/51 BELFRY [Ardclach] Belfry Belfry Belfry Rev. [Reverend] H. McLeod Mr Roger William Grigor Esqr 008 A stone building with a bell attached, standing upon an eminence near the Ph. [Parish] Church, for which the bell is used. 1655 is cut on a stone built in the walls. The building is in good repair & slated - It appears to be a modern erection. Property of the heritors. Nothing is know of it by the people of the district or the Factor of the Estate on which it is built.
OS1/22/2/51 MOSS-SIDE Moss-side Moss-side Moss-side Rev. [Reverend] H. Mcleod Mr Roger William Grigor Esqr 008 A croft house, 1 storey high, built of wood & thatched & in middling repair. Property of J. Brodie Esqr. Lethen
OS1/22/2/51 [Page] 51 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/51 Ardclach - on original page this entry has been circled with note - not a Ph. [Parish] village see Notes attached. Belfry - on original page Bell Tower has been crossed out and replaced by Belfry, written underneath this - corrected by final examiner
OS1/22/2/51A [Page] 51A Manse of Ardclach, 26th. April, 1869. Sir, In reply to your favour duly receiv= ed, I have to say, that the Name of this Parish, is Ardclach, which you spell correctly. In the Parish there is the district of Ardclach, which comprehends within it my Church, Manse, Manse Garden, Office Houses, Glebe, Parish School, Schoolhouse, Schoolmaster's Garden, and Croft of land, also the Farm near the Manse, Ardclach Farm, and the buildings thereon. There [continued on page 51B]
OS1/22/2/51B [Page] 51B [continued from page 51A] [lefthand side of page] is no Village in the Parish, called Ardclach. The Village is called Ferness, comprehending within it several small dwelling houses, a School built by the Proprietors of Glenferness, and a Post Office, which goes under the name of the Ardclach Post Office, but the Village is Ferness Village. If you consult William Grigor Esqr, Writer, Elgin, I think he will confirm what I have written above. I am, Your obedient Servant, Colin Mackenzie [righthand side of page] P.S. There is also in the district of Ardclach, a Cottage occupied by my Man-Servant, Alexander Mackenzie, and another Cottage occupied by Jessie McBean, both Cottages near the School= house. C. McK
OS1/22/2/51C [Page] 51C Elgin 26th. April 1869 Sir, Ordnance Survey I have received your favor, without date stating that you are directed by Captain Bolland R.E [Royal Engineers] "to describe and write the name of Ardclach on the "Ordnance Survey documents, as a village, including the "Church, manse, school, Post Office, and several Dwelling "houses; and not as I applied it to the farmsteading "situated near the manse". - You also ask my authority for the mode of spelling - The spelling is quite accurate - Excuse me for stating, that I cannot understand, how Captain Bolland came to instruct you as he has done. There is no village of Ardclach; the Church is situated in a hollow, nearly a quarter of [continued on page 51D]
OS1/22/2/51D [Page] 51D [continued from page 51C] of a mile from the Manse; the Parish school, again, is situated nearly a mile from the Manse; the Post office, upwards of a mile from the School; the Dwelling houses situated near the Manse form the farm steading, of one of Mr Brodie of Lethen's farms. The only village in the parish, is the village of Glenferness, situated on the south side of the Findhorn, including Post office, school, and several dwelling houses. I am Sir, Your most obedt. servt. [obedient servant] William Grigor. Corporal E. Ridsdale R.E. [Royal Engineers] Ordnance Survey Campbelltown Fort George Station
OS1/22/2/52 MANSE [Free Church ; Ardclach] Free Church Manse Free Church Manse Free Church Manse Rev. [Reverend] H. McLeod Minister Mr Roger Ph Schoolmaster William Grigor Esqr. Factor 008 A good stone building two stories high, with offices attached, both slated. Property of the Free Church of Scotland
OS1/22/2/52 SCHOOL [Ardclach] School School School Rev. [Reverend] H. McLeod Mr Roger William Grigor Esqr. 008 Parish School. A good stone building with dwelling house attached, two stories high & slated. Average attendance about 20 & the usual branches of education are taught. Property of the heritors.
OS1/22/2/52 LEVRATTICH Levrattich Levrattich Levrattich Rev. [Reverend] H. McLeod Mr. Roger William Grigor Esqr. 008 A farm steading & dwelling house, one storey high, thatched & in good repair Property of J. Brodie Esqr of Lethen
OS1/22/2/52 [Page] 52 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/52 School - written beneath this entry on original page - Roman Print
OS1/22/2/53 BALANREOCH Balanreoch Balanreoch Balanreoch` Rev. [Reverend] H. McLeod Free Church, Ardclach Mr Roger Parish Schoolmaster Ardclach William Grigor Esqr. Factor, Elgin 008 A Farm Steading & dwelling house, 1 storey high, slated & in good repair. Property of John Dougal Esqr Ratho by Edinburgh.
OS1/22/2/53 LOGIE BRIDGE Logie Bridge Logie Bridge Logie Bridge Rev. [Reverend] H. McLeod Mr Roger William Grigor Esqr 008 A stone bridge built over the Findhorn, at Wester Logie, about A.D. 1817 - Property of the County
OS1/22/2/53 WESTER LOGIE Wester Logie Wester Logie Wester Logie Rev. [Reverend] H. McLeod Mr Roger William Grigor Esqr 008 Three dwelling houses, 1 storey high, thatched & in middling repair. It was a Farm Steading at one time. Property of John Doudal Esqr.
OS1/22/2/53
OS1/22/2/53 [Page] 53 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/53 Logie Bridge - written beneath this entry on original page - Roman Print
OS1/22/2/54 FREE CHURCH [Ardclach] Free Church Free Church Free Church Rev. [Reverend] H. McLeod Mr Roger William Grigor Esqr 008 A plain stone building erected A.D. 1844 as a place of worship in connection with the Free Church of Scotland, to which body it belongs. It is seated for 417 persons.
OS1/22/2/54 KEPPERNACH Keppernach Keppernach Keppernach Rev. [Reverend] H. McLeod Mr Roger William Grigor Esqr 008 A Farm steading & dwelling house, 1 storey high, thatched & in middling repair. Property of J. Brodie Esqr Lethen
OS1/22/2/54 MANSE [parish ; Ardclach] Manse Manse Manse Rev. [Reverend] H. McLeod Mr Roger William Grigor Esqr 008 A dwelling house with out offices detached a short distance of, two stories high, slated and in good repair. Property of the Heritors
OS1/22/2/54 [Page] 54 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/54 Manse - written beneath this entry on original page - Roman Print
OS1/22/2/55 LITTLE LYNE Little Lyne Little Lyne Little Lyne Little Lyne Revd [Reverend] C McKenzie Mr W. Gibson Mr A Rose, Tent. [Tenant] Muckle Lyne William Grigor Esqr 008 A farm house one storey high with offices attached the former is slated the latter thatched the whole are in good repair. J. Dougal Esqr propr. [propritetor]
OS1/22/2/55 MUCKLE LYNE Muckle Lyne Muckle Lyne Muckle Lyne Meikle Lyne Revd. [Reverend] C McKenzie Mr W. Gibson Mr A Rose, Tent. [Tenant] William Grigor Esqr Factor 008 A farm house one story high with suitable offices detached a short distance to the west the former is slated, the latter thatched the whole are in fair repair. J. Dougal Esqr Glenfernes propr. [proprietor]
OS1/22/2/55 [Page] 55 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/56 MILLS OF AIRDRIE (Corn & Carding) Mills of Airdrie (Corn and Carding) Mills of Airdrie (Corn and Carding) Mills of Airdrie (Corn and Carding) Mills of Airdrie (Corn and Carding) Revd [Reverend] C McKenzie Mr W. Gibson Mr A Rose William Grigor Esqr. 008 This name applies to corn and carding mills, situated upon the Burn of Fevene at a short distance to the East of the farm of Score, the motive power is water. J Dougal Esqr Glenfernes proprietor
OS1/22/2/56 MOUNT Mount Mount Mount Mount Revd [Reverend] C McKenzie Mr W. Gibson Mr A Rose William Grigor Esqr. 008 This name applies to a farm house one story high with suitable offices attached the whole are thatched and in middling repair. J. Dougal Esqr Propr. [Proprietor]
OS1/22/2/56 [Page] 56 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/57 LOGIE Logie Logie Logie Logie Revd [Reverend] C McKenzie Parish Minister Ardclach Mr W. Gibson schoolmaster New Farm Mr A Rose Tenant Muckle Lyne William Grigor Esqr. 008 A farm house one story high with suitable offices detatched a short distance to the East the whole are thatched and in fair repair J. Dougal Esqr propr. [proprietor]
OS1/22/2/57 SCORE Score Score Score Score Revd [Reverend] C McKenzie Mr W. Gibson Mr A Rose William Grigor Esqr. 008 A farm house one story high with suitable offices attached the former slated the latter thatched the whole are in fair repair J. Dougal Esqr propr. [proprietor]
OS1/22/2/57 STRIPE OF FEVENE Stripe of Fevene Stripe of Fevene B. Robertson, Arclach William Grant Toremore Estate Plan 1781 008 A small stream rising in the North base of the Knock of Fevene (Hill of Fevene) flowing Westward untill it unites with Stripe of Muckle Lyne.
OS1/22/2/57 [Page] 57 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach
OS1/22/2/58 BURN OF FEVENE Burn of Fevene Burn of Fevene Burn of Fevene Burn of Fevene Revd [Reverend] C. McKenzie Mr W. Gibson Mr A Rose William Grigor Esqr. 008 A stream having its source a short distance North of the Hill of Fevene, and after running in a Westerly direction, it enters the River Findhorn a short distance north of the Farm house of Logie J. Dougal Esqr Propr.
OS1/22/2/58 HILL OF FEVENE Hill of Fevene Hill of Fevene Hill of Fevene Hill of Fevene Revd [Reverend] C. McKenzie Mr W. Gibson Mr A. Rose William Grigor Esqr. 008 A hill situated about one half mile North East of Muckle Lyne farm house it is covered with Fir Wood and it is the property of J. Dougall Esqr
OS1/22/2/58 [page] 58 County of Nairn -- Parish of Ardclach [page signed] A. B. Coddington LtRE [Liuetenant Royal Engineers] 2.10.69
OS1/22/2/59 [Page] 59 Extracts from New Statistical Account......................................................... -- Examiners replies to each of the underlined portions Parish of Ardclach Many of the springs in this parish are chalybeate. There is one fine lake, situated on the property of Lethen,............................. -- Not completed called the Loch of Belivat, remarkable for having no known............................. -- Name supplied or perceptible stream running into or out of it. The River Findhorn. which takes its rise in the Monad-leah.............................. -- The name Monad-leah group of Mountains in Inverness-shire, and, running in................................... -- is obsolete a north easterly direction, flows for about 13 miles through the parish of Ardclach, increased in its progress by a number of mountain streams, Viz. the burns of Torgarrow;............................ -- Tor Burn, Tomnarroch Drumlochan, and Tomnarroch from the south, and the burn........................... -- Burn & that of Tomlachlan of Altnarie from the north. On the burn of Torgarrow, near............................ -- which is sometimes Called the farm of Lynemore there is a beautiful cascade, and.................................. -- Drumlochan Burn are Shown on traces another on the burn of Altnarie, upon the estate of Lethen. .......................... -- These cascades are not The Burn of Lethen, or Muckle Burn is a considerable steam, ......................... -- known by any names in the locality which takes its rise in the south west of this parish, and flows....................... -- Muckle Burn is the through it for about 10 miles, in a direction nearly parallel to.......................... -- name the stream goes under. the Findhorn, which it ultimately joins, within about 2 miles of its mouth. Geology - The general character of the parish is sub-alpine, and the prevailing rocks belong to the primary series. Of these, some magnificent sections are made, - particularly at Dulsie, Fairness, Altnarie, and Coulmony. ....................................................... -- See Dulsie or rather Bridge Part of the parish consists of the lands of Mid-Fleenes,................................... -- of Dulsie on traces Coulmony written and Acharait, now belonging to Colonel Gordon of Cluny; the lands of Dallasbrachty and Craigcroy, which be- longed to James Dunbar of Cunzie and Kilbuyack, and are now the property of Sir William G.G. Cumming, Bart. [Baronet] of Altyre; and the lands of Glenernie which now belong to Charles Lennox Cumming Bruce, Esq. of Roseisle and Dunphail. The Old Fortalice of Lethen withstood three sieges........................................ -- Site near the present the first by the Marquis of Montrose in 1645; the second by.......................... -- house of Lethen [continued on page 60] 59
OS1/22/2/60 ..............................................................................................-- Examiners replies to each of the underlined portions [continued from page 59] of the Marquis of Huntly in 1649 and the third under the command of Sir Mungo Murray in 1653. Antiquities. There is a curious obelisk, situated in a haugh on Glenfairness, on the river side, and about a mile below the old bridge of Dulcie. Characters somewhat similar to those on Sueno's Pillar, near Forres, are sculp- tured on it, but it is scarcely half the height of the Forres Obelisk. The sculpture is nearly the same on both sides of the............. -- Shown on Trace & described stone, but in the lowest compartment on one of them are.................... -- in Name Book two figures, seemingly in the Highland dress, and in the attitude of embrace. There is no trace of any writing, and tradition describes it to be a memorial of the unhappy fate of a Celtic princess, who eloped with a Danish lover, and was pursued to the birch covered hill, called the Doune of Dunearn, on the verge of the Findhorn, from which, to avoid their pursuers, they precipitated themselves into the river, and perished together. On the summit of the hill of Lethenbar, which stands........................... -- Written 862 feet above the level of sea, there is a very perfect Druidical......... -- Removed Circle, and in its immediate neighbourhood are -- Are these composed of Stone [overwritten words] If the latter Cairns should be written numerous Tumuli .................................................................................. -- No trace can be obtained of this Mansion Houses. - The only mansion house within the parish is Coulmony House, the property of Mr. Brodie of Lethen. .................... -- Written On a tablet over the door is inscribed the date 1746. It is situated on the banks of the Findhorn, and the scenery around is justly celebrated for its highland beauty. The late Sir James Montgomery Cuninghame commenced to build a mansion house on his estate of Fairness, on the opposite bank of the river; but unhappily he did not live to finish it. Shaw Hill upon the estate of Lethen....................................................... -- Written There are 3 stone bridges over the Findhorn, viz. one at....................... -- Bridge of Dulsie written Dulcie, one at Glenfairness, and a third at Daltulich................................ -- Daltulich Bridge written [continued on page 61] [Page] 60
OS1/22/2/61 [continued from page 60] Ecclesiastical State. - The parish of Ardclach is not made.................................... -- It is probable that the mention of before the Reformation, previous to which era the........................... -- Chapel shown on plan near places of worship resorted to by the inhabitants were two Chapels.................. -- the Bridge of Dulsie is the one at Fairness, and the other at Lethen. After the Reformation....................... -- one mentioned as being at Ardclach is mentioned as a Vicarage, of which the parson of............................. -- Fairness, or Ferness as it is Rafford, as sub-chanter of Moray was patron. Thereafter it............................... -- written. See trace for became a distinct parish until united to Edenkillie in 1618,................................ -- supposed site of the other one and those two churches wee served per Vices by one minister. This junction of the parishes continued until 1650 in which year the parish of Ardclach, as it now exists, was by order of Par, liament, and by Decree of Platt, dated 13th. February 1650, for the first time erected, and the annexation to it of the following lands, formerly in the parish of Auldearn, .......................................... -- Not yet completed viz. "The lands of Lethinbar, Fornighty, Fleenesnagall,...................................... -- Lethen Bar written Bog of Fornighty Achamore, and Achavelgin, belonging to Alexander Brodie................................ -- Achamore written of Lethin; and Middle Fleenes, and Achnatone, belonging................................. -- Midfleenas & Achnatone written to William Rose of Clava, and Hugh Rose, fiar thereof. The parish church is placed in the centre of the church Yard which lies in a deep Valley or haugh on the north side of the Findhorn, at some little distance above the bridge of Fairness. The situation, on the whole, is perhaps the most............................... -- Two detached portions Nos. 1 and 2 of convenient that could be chosen; the extreme point on the.............................. -- Ardclach Parish which also form east being on the lands of Sir W. Cumming, and Major...................................... -- detached portions Nos. 1 and 2 of the Cumming Bruce, which lay stretched beyond the rest of the............................. -- County of Nairn are shewn on the Sketch parish, near the confines of Knockando, and have the parish........................... -- Map of Edinkillie Parish of Edenkillie interjected between them and the rest of Ardclach. ..................... -- Be particular in your enquiries There is only one inn in the parish. It is called New Inn. .................................. -- It is now a farmsteading called Balanreoch Names taken from Old Statistical Account Vol. [Volume] 4. P.[Page] 152 Ardclach.................................................................................................. -- A Parish Dulcy bridge............................................................................................ -- Is Dulcie in the forgoing or Dulcy the proper spelling Lethen.................................................................................................... -- A Mansion house or extensive farmstead There are 5 Distilleries and one Inn in the parish, the............................ -- Have these Distilleries and Inn is at Dulcy bridge. ............................................................................. -- Now converted into a Farm House [Page] 61
OS1/22/2/62 Names taken from Fullarton's Gazetteer Ardclach........................................................ -- A parish Findhorn river Dulcie Bridge.................................................. -- See Old Stat. [Statistical] Account for Dulcy Bridge of written Tominarroch................................................... -- written bridge of Relugas.......................................... -- Daltulich Bridge written Relugas......................................................... -- In adjoining Parish Tarnaway...................................................... -- In adjoining Parish Cairn Sculptured tablet, having a rude cross & many Runic Knots.. -- Written Farness -- Should not this be Fairness See N. Stat. Acc. [New Statistical Account] -- Ferness Letham......................................................... -- The seat of Mr. Brodie Be very particular about the ..................................................................... -- spelling of this name as the foregoing authorities spell ..................................................................... -- it differently. Get the proprietors mode of spelling In replying to remarks on Antiquities &c. in the parish; the Superintendent of Examiners will......... -- Information supplied supply all the local information he can obtain......... -- as far as obtainable and state what steps he has taken to obtain........ -- E. Ridsdale 2nd Corpl R.E. [Corporal Royal Engineers] such information. Signed F. E. Pratt Captn R.E. [Captain Royal Engineers] Extracts from the Revd. [Reverend] Lauchlan Shaw's History of the Province of Moray dated 1775 The parish of Ardclach lies on both sides of the river (Findhorn) On the east side of the river are the lands of Ardrie, Logie & ...... -- written Ferness and Aitnach; and above these is Dunern......................... -- written Close by the church on the opposite side of the brook, is Glenernie. In 1526 Dallasbrachtie, Craigroy, Ardrie....................... -- Airdrie written and Logiegown were the feu property of James Dunbar of Cunzie and Kilbuyack. Mr. James Grant of Ardnellie purchased Logie and Arderie. The lands of Fernes and Aitnach were disponed to Kilravock by [continued on page 63] [Page] 62
OS1/22/2/63 [continued from page 62] Mr. John Wood of Tilliderie. On the west side of the river, and close by it, is Daltulick,.......... -- Daltulich written and Culmonie. North west is the Barony of Bellivat................... -- Coulmony, & Belivat written and Middle Fleenes, The lands of Keppernack and..................... -- Midfleenas, Keppernach, written Boath in the south west of the parish and Benhir in.................. -- Boath written the Streins are the property of John Campbell of Calder. .......... -- Streens written Two miles above the Church, is the bridge of Doulasie, and for 4 miles farther the Strath of Streins is very................... -- Simply "Streens" narrow, inclosed with high hills, consisting of three Davachs of land, the lower in Ardclach, the middle in Calder, and the upper in Moy Parish, all the property of John Campbell of Calder Copied by Patrick Lynch C.A. [Civilian Assistant] Ardclach, a Vicarage whereof the Minister of Rafford was Titular, and probably Patron. Brodie of Lethen, as Patron of Rafford, acted as Patron of Ardclach. I do not find, that Ardclach was called a parish before the Reformation; The Chapels.......... -- Supposed site of the Chapel mentioned as being at Lethen shown on traces Fernes and Lethen, depending on the Dean of Aldern............... -- Site of Chapel at Ferness shown seem to have been the places of worship; and the Church of Ardclach was built in 1626.......................................... -- Written The Captains not to be added. [Page] 63
OS1/22/2/64 [Page] 64 INDEX to the part of the Parish of Ardclach on 1/2500 Scale the remainder being on 6 inch Sheets Nos. 7,8,10,11 & 13 Names of Objects -- Page Achagour -- 48 Achamore -- 17 Achavelgin -- 6 Achavrate -- 29 Achnatone -- 23 Airdrie -- 39 Allt an Fhuaran Bhàin -- 45 Ardclach -- 51 Ardclach Ph. [Parish] -- 1 Balanreoch -- 53 Balville -- 41 Belfry -- 51 Black Burn -- 4 Black Stripe -- 30 Bog of Fornighty -- 23 Brevail -- 10 Broadshaw -- 12 Bruachmary Burn -- 16 Burn of Blarandualt -- 20 Burn of Fevene -- 58 Campbell's School (Endowed) -- 21 Cairnglass -- 38 Càrn Achadh Gaibhre -- 47 Clune -- 11 Coulmony House -- 39 Crockanvenie -- 25 Daltulich -- 28 Daltulich Bridge -- 28 Drum -- 5 Easter Belivat -- 35 Easter Craigiemore -- 13 Easter Potgreenie -- 13 Easter Tomloan -- 15 Fleenasmill -- 6 Fleenasmore -- 29 Fleenasnagael -- 4 Fornighty -- 7 Fornighty Moss -- 17 Free Church -- 54 Free Church School -- 8 Garrowstripe -- 9 Greystone -- 27 Highland Boath -- 43 Hill of Urchany -- 11 Hillhead -- 3 Hill of Fevene -- 58 Hollybush -- 25 Keppernach -- 30 Keppernach -- 54 Knockaneorn -- 41 Kronyhillock -- 24 Laiken -- 5 Lethen Bar -- 25 Levrattich -- 52 Little Coulmony -- 38 Little Lyne -- 55 Littlemill -- 4 Loch a' Bhlair Bhig -- 21 Loch of Belivat -- 37 Logie -- 57 Logie Bridge -- 53 Lower Achagour -- 31 Lower Remore -- 24 Lubliester -- 49 Mains of Coulmony -- 39 Manse -- 52 Manse -- 54 Midfleenas -- 17 Mill of Lethen (Corn, Flour, & Saw) -- 7 Mills of Airdrie (Corn & Carding) -- 56 Moss-side -- 51 Mountpleasant -- 33 Mount -- 56 Muckle Burn -- 7 Muckle Lyne -- 55 New Achamore -- 15 New Achamore -- 29 New Fleenas -- 3 Newlands of Achagour -- 47 Newlands of Fleenas -- 49 Newlands of Knockaneorn -- 49 Newlands of Knockaneorn -- 49 Newlands of Tomloan -- 16 Newton of Belivat -- 35 Ord -- 19 Ord Loch -- 19 Pool Neish -- 27 Patmussach -- 44 Pool Brahan -- 27 Post Office -- 32 Redburn -- 31 Red Burn -- 8 Rehaurie -- 33 River Findhorn -- 43 School -- 52 Stripe of Fevene -- 57 Score -- 57 Scum Pool of Dunlich -- 27 Shaw Hill -- 28 Slate pool -- 27
OS1/22/2/65 [Page] 65 Names of Objects -- Page Shenval -- 30 Slagachorie -- 5 The Ord -- 20 Tom an Uain -- 48 Tom Fade -- 18 Tomnagee -- 9 Tomshogle -- 6 Tomnarroch Burn -- 32 Tumulus called Shion Hillock -- 18 Upper Remore -- 24 Waukmill -- 8 Wester Belivat -- 35 Wester Craigiemore -- 13 Wester Logie -- 53 Wester Potgreenie -- 12 Wester Tomloan -- 15
OS1/22/2/66 [Page] 66 OS1/22/2 NAME BOOK OF PART OF THE PARISH OF ARDCLACH The remainder being on 6 inch Sheets Nos. 7,8,10, 11 & 13 On 1/2500 Scale IN THE CO. [COUNTY] NAIRN