Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/11/132/6

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CHAPEL OF OUR LADY OF LORETTO and HERMITAGE (Remains of) Loretto Chapel Continued [from page 5] The Reverend Mr Beveridge Ph [Parish] Minister of Inveresk and The Rev [Reverend] Mr Langhorne of Loretto, state, that it is quite impossible to ascertain whether the present remains shown by the examiner on trace, at Loretto, or not, is part of the Chapel or of the Hermitage, therefore they would recommend the names to be written. thus. Remains of Loretto Chapel and Hermitage,

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 6


"Here was the celebrated chapel of our Lady of Loretto at the east end of Muscilburgh
with the hermit's cell adjoining. During the Earl of Hertfords ravages in May 1544 he
destroyed the chapel of our Lady of Loretto with a part of the town. It was soon repaired
but it was finally abolished at the reformation; And in 1590 the materials of the
Chapel which had once so many votaries, were Converted by unhallowed hands to the
building of the Tolbooth of Musselburgh."
Chalmers Caledonia
vol [volume] 2 p. [page] 802-3

Transcriber's notes

This Name Book refers to Musselburgh 1853 - Sheet 09
OS large scale Scottish town plans, 1847-1895 - Scale: 1:1056

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Bizzy- Moderator, Christine Y

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.