OS1/11/117/43

No image found
List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Remains of CONVENT OF ST CATHERINE OF SCIENNES Remains of Convent of St. Catherine of Sienna (1517)
Remains of Convent of St. Catherine of Sienna (1517)
Remains of Convent of St. Catherine of Sienna (1517)
Remains of Convent of St. Catherine of Sienna (1517)
Mr. Kerr
Mr. McGill Factor, Grange.
Kirkwood's Map of Edinr [Edinburgh]
Statist. [Statistical] Acct [Account] Edinr [Edinburgh] 1845
[Situation] A Short distance West of Scienneshill House.
A fragment of the extensive convent founded and endowed in the 16th century by Lady Seyton for nuns of the order of S. [Saint] Dominick. This fragment which is of a very unpicturesque appearance consists of two portions of a wall about 15 feet in height and of great thickness and being roofed in, serves as a shelter for the cattle grazing in the park in which it is situated. The deed of foundation for this convent is dated 17th April 1817 and was confirmed by the young King James V with the consent of the Duke of Albany the regent on the 25th of the following month of May.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 43

[note]
A little be-south the meadow and western side of Newington
stood a monastery of nuns called "Sancta Catherine de Siensis"
from a convent and city of those names in Italy, of the
Order of S [Saint] Dominick "&c".
Maitland's Hist [History] of Edinr [Edinburgh] Page 176

Transcriber's notes

This Name Book refers to Edinburgh 1852 - Sheet 44
OS large scale Scottish town plans, 1847-1895 - Scale: 1:1056

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Bizzy- Moderator, raschdorff

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.