Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/21/58/1

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
WALSTON [parish] Walston
Walston
Walston
Walston
Walston
Walston
Statisical Account
The Revd [Reverend]James Wilson
Mr George Clark
Mr Joseph Murray
Johnston's County Map dated 1816
Forrest's County Map
027; 034 In the East of the County of Lanark.
The Parish of Walston is in the County of Lanark and consists of 4366 Statute Acres; It Contains two small villages namely Walston and Elsrickle.
The Manse and Parish Church with its surrounding Grave yard, are situated in the North of Walston Village and South of the village is the Parish School near to a farmsteading called Kingsknowes.
A school (not connected with any Religious denomination) and a Free Church are situated in the village of Elsrickle.
The turnpike road from Carnwath to Peebles passes through the parish. There are no detached portions of the parish and there are none of any other parish situated within it.
Statistical Acct.[Account] "The village of Walston, to which this parish is evidently indebted for its name, has been supposed to be so called from a particular well or spring, distant from it about half a mileand at one time in some repute for its medicinal

Continued entries/extra info

Header: Parish of Walston [Page] 1

Transcriber's notes

Description is continud on page 2

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Charles M Houston, Larry mag

  Location information for this page.