Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/21/16/1

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
COVINGTON [parish] United parishes of Covington + Thankerton
Covington
Covington
Covington
Covington
Covington
Covington
Statistical Account
Johnston's County Map
Forrest's County Map
Revd John Vary
Ribert Denholm Esq
Mr William Paterson
033; 039 "The united parish extends in length from south to north 4 miles, and its breadth is about 2¾ miles. It is bounded on the east by the Clyde which seperates it from the parish of Liberton; on the west by Carmichael; on the south by Pettinain"
"The two small parishes of Covington and Thankerton were united some time between 1702 and 1720. The patronage of the united parish belongs to Sir Norman Lockhart, as patron of the old parish of Covington and Sir Windham Carmichael Anstruther, as patron of the old parish of Thankerton, who present by turns."
"The principal landholders of this parish are Sir Norman Macdonald Lockhart Bart; Sir Windham Carmichael Anstruther, Bart.; James Howieson Esq of St. Johns Kirk; and Michael Carmichael Esq of Eastend. There is only one Mansion-house in the parish, that of Mr Howieson of St. Johns Kirk"
"There is no land in the parish in a state of undivided Commons"
"There are two villages in the parish, Thankerton and Covington. The bridge over the Clyde at Thankerton was built by public subscription in 1778. the distance from Biggar the nearest post-town is about 3 miles."
Statistical Acct [Account] of Lanarkshire
This parish has no detached portions within the boundaries of other parishes and there are no detached portions of other parishes within the boundaries of this.

Continued entries/extra info

Page header:

Parish of Covington 1

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

David Braidwood

  Location information for this page.