List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Bedlay House
Bedlay House
Bedlay House
Valuation Roll
Forest's Co: [County] Map
T. C. Christie Esqr: Proprietor
Revd: [Reverend] J. Park
002.15 'The Manor House of Bedlay, an ancient and picturesque structure having many of the features of the old French Chateau, stands on a natural terrace of rock about 30 feet above the Bathlin Burn, which skirts its western extremity. It is of a quadrangular form with high peaked and crow-stepped gables, having two round turrets at the west end & a rectangular tower at the east, from the south side of which the house is entered. Some years ago part of the east end of the house and also the wall which extended along the south & west of the terrace was demolished. What remains appears to have been built at different periods, About the beginning of the seventeenth, and again about the middle of the 18th century additions seem to have been made to it. Part of the ground floor consists of two stone arched vaults, now used as Kitchens &c and is certainly of older date than 1600. Over the principal window at the East end of the house there is carved in stone the armorial bearings of the Robertsons, being, 'Quarterly 1st & 4th gules, a close helmet argent, '2nd & 3rd Argent, a cross crosslet fitched gules, with crescent in chief 'for a brotherly difference'. It is said that the place is mentioned in some old writings as far back as the reign of Alexander II and there is a tradition that it was frequently used by Sir William Wallace during his sojourn in the fastnesses of Robroyston. With these exceptions its early history seems now forgotten. It is however extremely probable that it has been a residence of some of the dignified Ecclesiastics of the Cathedral Church of Glasgow. The lands of Bedlay & others were alienated by Boyd, Archbishop of Glasgow to Robert; Lord Boyd, (ancestor of the Earl of Kilmarnock) who died in 1589. The Estate then appears to have passed into the possession of the College of Glasgow from which it was acquired by James Roberston of the family of Earnock. Who having been a loyalist Lawyer of reputations was at the Restoration, enacted a Lord of Session & took the title of 'Lord Bedlay'. He died at Bedlay House in 1664. The Estate continued in the possession of his descendants until the end of the last century, when it was bought by McKenzie of Greenkirk, who some years afterwards, (upon disposal of it to J Campbell Esqr. of Petershill, and by the marriage of whose granddaughter it came into the possession of the present proprietor'. Account by the proprietor T.C. Christie Esqr. The Mill of Bedlay stood between the house & the Bathlin Burn. It was removed about 130 years ago.

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 66
County of Lanark Cadder Parish

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Rena M

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.