Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/21/3/27

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CHURCH 1545 Church
Church
Church
Rev. [Reverend] John Christison
Mr James Morrison
Mr Robert Glen
034.09 The parish church, which was collegiate, and founded by Malcolm Lord Fleming, in 1545, who liberally endowed it for a provost, eight prebends, four singing boys, and six poor men. It is in the form of a cross, with a square tower in the middle, but the steeple was never finished. Situated in the middle of the grave yard & is in good repair.
SCHOOL [Biggar] School
School
School
Rev [Reverend] John Christison
Mr James Morrison
Mr Robert Glen
034.09 The parish school, a neat one storey slated building in a good repair. In 1767 William Law, Biggar, mortified £41 and in 1817 William Nisbett, Biggar, mortified £40, the interest of both sums to be applied in educating poor children. Education afforded - English, writing, arithmetic, geography, Greek, Latin, French, & mathematics. Average attendance 180

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 27
Parish of Biggar

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Eleanor Brown

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.