Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Kincardineshire volume 18

Page List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks Continued entries/extra info Transcriber's notes
OS1/19/18/1 St Cyrus St Cyrus St Cyrus St Cyrus St Cyrus St Cyrus St Cyrus St Cyrus St Cyrus St Cyrus Sheriff's list of Meresmen Land of the Lindsays Memorials of Angus and Mearns New. Stat. Act. [New Statistical Account] Old. Stat. Act. [Old Statistical Account] Johnston's Co. [County] Map. Mr. A. Neilson (Inspector of Poor) Revd. [Reverend] Thomas Macintosh (Ph. [Parish] Minister) Slater's Directory "In the former Statistical Account of this parish, it was stated for no better reason, so far as is now known, than that Ecclesgreig is nearly idem sonans with Ecclesia Gregorii that the ancient name is evidently of Latin origin, and probably derived from the dedication of the Church to St Gregory the Great, or to some other Romish bishop or missionary of that name. Perhaps it may be more probably referred to the Gaelic, in which language, the words, Eaglaiscreag, or gen. [genuitive] Eaglais-Craige, Signify the Church of the Rock, and well descibe the singularly picturesque situation of the ancient Church of the parish. "the rock" forming the most prominent object in the picture, being a lofty sea cliff, of nearly two miles in extent, under the Shelter and close to the base of which the 'church' Stood. The parish lies at the extreme Southern angle of the Mearns, and is separated on the South west side from the parishes of Montrose and Logiepert by the river North Esk, which here also marks the confines of the counties of Angus and Mearns. On the northwest, north, and northeast, itis bounded by the parishes of Marykirk, Garvock, and Benholm, and on the South east by the German Ocean. Its length in a direction parallel to the general line of the sea-coast, from the North-water bridge to the hill of Bridgeton is about
OS1/19/18/1 [Page] 1
OS1/19/18/2 St. Cyrus [Continued] '5 miles, its breadth at the former place, about 3 1/4, at the latter about 2 1/2, and its area about 14 Square miles. Its figure is nearly that of a parallelogram' (New Stat. Act. [Statistical Account]) There is no detached portion of this Parish in any other; nor, is there a detached portion of any other Parish on this.
OS1/19/18/2 [Page] 2
OS1/19/18/3 St Cyrus Saint Cyrus Valuation Roll for 1862-3. Revd. [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Revd. [Revernd] E. Anderson 027.06 "The Village or Kirkton of St. Cyrus consists of about forty houses, for the most part Straw thatched Cottages disposed without much regard to neatness or regularity round the Parish Church. *Burnside and Roadside form a line of Cottages along the north Side of the Public road at a short distance from the Kirkton." (New Statl. Acct. [Statistical Account]) The Revd. [Reverend] J. McIntosh considers the houses as shewn on the East Side of traces 3 and 6 to be the proper Village of St. Cyrus. These houses are mostly occupied by laborers, they are in pretty good repair, and each house has a small garden attached to it. *This is now known as "Burnhead", see trace 2. "Burnside" is applied to a dwellling house near the end of Ecclesgreig road . See trace 3.
OS1/19/18/3 [Page] 3
OS1/19/18/4 [Page] 4 [Blank Page]
OS1/19/18/5 Den Belt Den Belt Den Belt Den Belt Alexander Porteous Esqr. (Propietor) Alexander Burnett (Lauriston) John Hogg (Biddrie) 024.11; 024.15 A belt of Plantation on East Side and North East of Den Finella. property of Alexander Porteous Esqr. Lauriston Castle
OS1/19/18/5 Lauriston Plantation Lauriston Plantation Lauriston Plantation Lauriston Plantation Alexander Porteous Esqr. (Proprietor) Alexander Burnett (Lauriston) John Hogg (Biddrie) 024.15 A belt of Plantation on the north end of the Estate of Lauriston adjoining Garvock Ph. [Parish] property of Alexander Porteous, Esqre. Lauriston Castle.
OS1/19/18/5 Berryhillock Berryhillock Berryhillock Berryhillock Alexander Porteous Esqr (Proprietor) Alexander Burnett (Lauriston) John Hogg (Biddrie) 024.15 A newly erected farm Steading on the Estate of Lauriston, which is in an incomplete state and not occupied. property of Alexander Porteous, Esqre. Lauriston Castle
OS1/19/18/5 Berryhillock Belt Berryhillock Belt Berryhillock Belt Berryhillock Belt Alexander Porteous Esqr.(Proprietor) Alexander Burnett (Lauriston) John Hogg (Biddrie) 024.15 A belt of Plantation on the Farm of that name. - property of Alexander Porteous Esqre. Lauriston Castle.
OS1/19/18/6 Chapelfield Belt Chapelfield Belt Chapelfield Belt Chapelfield Belt Alexander Porteous Esqr. (Propr. [Proprietor]) Alexander Burnett John Hogg 024.15 A belt of Plantation on the Farm of Chapelfield, Estate of Lauriston. Property of Alexander Porteous Esqre. Lauriston Castle
OS1/19/18/6 West Belt West Belt West Belt West Belt Alexander Perteous Esqr. (Prop. [Proprietor]) Alexander Burnett John Hogg 024.15 A belt of Plantation on the farm of Berryhillock Estate of Lauriston. Property of Alexander Porteous Esqre. Lauriston Castle
OS1/19/18/6 Crombie's Pot Crombie's Pot Crombie's Pot Crombie's Pot Alexander Porteous Esqr. (Prop. [Proprietor]) Alexander Burnett John Hogg 024.15 A deep pool in the stream which runs through the Den of Chapelfield. A person of the name of Crombie was found drowned here, hence the name.
OS1/19/18/6 Biddrie Biddrie Biddrie Biddrie Alexander Porteous Esqr. (Propr. [Proprietor]) Alexander Burnett John Hogg Valuation Roll 1862-63 024.15 A good Substantial Farm Steading on the Estate of Lauriston. Property of Alexander Porteous Esqre. Lauriston Castle
OS1/19/18/6 [Page] 6 Parish of St. Cyrus
OS1/19/18/7 Maryland Marysland Maryland Maryland Maryland Valuation Roll for 1862-63 Mr James Anderson Tenant Mr Robert Lawson (East Bradieston) On Carts 024.14 A farm house having outhouses & garden attached. The property of W.F.Grant Esqr., Ecclesgreig. Mr Anderson States that Maryland is the proper orthography.
OS1/19/18/7 Brackenrigg Brackenrigg Brackenrigg Brackenrigg Valuation Roll for 1862-3 Mr George Robert Tenant Mr William Beattie (Lower Brackenrigg) 024.14 A farm house having outhouses and garden &c. attached The property of W.F. Grant Esqr. Ecclesgreig
OS1/19/18/7 Lower Brackenrigg Lower Brackenrigg Lower Brackenrigg Lower Brackenrigg Valuation Roll for 1862-3 Mr William Beattie (Tenant) Mr George Robert 024.14 A farm house having outhouses garden &c. attached, The property of W.F. Grant Ecclesgreig
OS1/19/18/7 [Page] 7 Parish of Saint Cyrus [Note] " Brack. A strip of uncultivated land" "Brachen. The female fern" (Jamieson)
OS1/19/18/8 Newlands Newlands Newlands Newlands Newlands Mr Robert Lawson East Bradieston Mr David Clark South Bradieston Mr Thomas Murray Easter Lulloch Estate Plans 024.14 A farm house having outhouses attached all in a ruinous condition at present unoccupied. The property of Alexander Porteous Esqr Lauriston Castle
OS1/19/18/8
OS1/19/18/8 [Page] 8 Parish of Saint Cyrus
OS1/19/18/9 Biddrie Knaps Biddrie Knaps Biddrie Knapps Biddrie Knapps Alexander Porteous Esqr (Proprietor) Alexander Burnett (Lauriston) John Hogg (Biddrie) 024.15 A Small Plantation on the farm of Biddrie Estate of Lauriston. Property of Alexander Porteous Esqre. Lauriston Castle.
OS1/19/18/9 Meadow Ward Meadow Ward Meadow Ward Meadow Ward Meadow Croft Meadow Ward Alexander Porteous Esqr Alexander Burnett John Hogg Estate Plan 1863 Estate Plan 1840 024.15 A Crofter residence on the Estate of Lauriston. This in good repair. - Property of Alexander Porteous Esqre. Lauriston Castle
OS1/19/18/9 Den of Chapelfield Den of Chapelfield Den of Chapelfield Den of Chapelfield Alexander Porteous Esqr Alexander Burnett John Hogg 024.15 A wide and romantic Glen on the Estate of Lauriston near Chapelfield. The name applies from Den Finella to a little north of Crombies Pot. Property of Alexander Porteous Esqre. Lauriston Castle
OS1/19/18/9 [Page] 9 Parish of Saint Cyrus
OS1/19/18/9 Den Finella scored through
OS1/19/18/10 Site of St Laurences Chapel Site of Chapel Alexander Burnett (Lauriston) 024.15 "The Estate of Lauriston, so named it would seem in honor of St Laurence, to whom a chapel was dedicated which stood at Chapelfield, belonged at, and before the year 1243 to Sir John of Strivelyn, who granted the Chapel the Prior and Canons of St. Andrews together with a pound of wax yearly the price of which was to be regulated according to the market value at Montrose (Reg. Prior. S. Andree, 280 Register of the Priory of St. Andrews]). Some time ago the old font of this Chapel, now preserved at Lauriston, was found buried among a quantity of rubbish. (Memorials of Angus & Mearns, page 273) Alexander Burnett who pointed out this Site is a very intelligent labourer on the Estate of Lauriston, he states the he remembers the foundations of the Chapel being taken on about 50 years ago, and that in trenching the ground a large quantity of human bones were found in what appeared to have been the burial ground attached to the Chapel. Alexander Porteous Esqur Lauriston Castle the proprietor of the ground can not give any information on this, as the foundations were destroyed before he purchased the property. He says that the information supplied by Alexander Burnett may be fully relied upon. - B Render Corpl. R.E. [Corporal Royal Engineers] 28/8/63
OS1/19/18/10 [Page] 10 Parish of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/11 Chapelfield Chapelfield Chapelfield Chapelfield Alexander Porteous Esqr (Proprietor) Estate Plan Valuation Roll 024.15 A good Substantial Farm Steading on the Estate of Lauriston. Property of Alexander Porteous Esqre. Lauriston Castle.
OS1/19/18/11 Jackston Jackston Jackston Jackston Alexander Porteous Esqr (Proprietor) Estate Plans Valuation Rolls 024.15 A good Substantial Farm Steading on the Estate of Lauriston near East side of Den Finella. Property of Alexander Porteous Esqre. Lauriston Castle
OS1/19/18/11 [Page] 11 Parish of St. Cyrus
OS1/19/18/12 [Page] 12 [Blank page.]
OS1/19/18/13 Bridgeton Hill Bridgeton Hill Bridgeton Hill Bridgeton Hill Bridgeton Hill or Hill of Bridgeton Mr John Willocks Mr Robert Cuthbert Mr John Towns Hercules Scott Esqr (Brotherton) 024.16; 027.04 A very conspicuous hill so called. The Parish and Property Boundary crosses near the summit of the hill, but the name is the same on each side of the boundary. The St Cyrus side is scattered trees &c. and the Benholm side is rough ground, whins & heather.
OS1/19/18/13 [Page] 13 Note. This name may be written "Hill of Bridgeton" or Bridgeton Hill". It is spoken both ways. B.R Corpl [Corporal] R.E. [Royal Engineers]
OS1/19/18/14 Muirhead Muirhead Muirhead Muirhead Muirhead of Snadon Mr William Rait (Tenant) Mr David Neilson (Hospital Sheilds) Valuation Roll 1862-63 Voters list 027.01 A good farm steading with Offices &c attached the property of Sir Alexander Ramsay Bart [Baronet] Balmain
OS1/19/18/14 Spittalmyre Spittalmyre Spittalmyre Spittalmyre Valuation Roll 1862-63 Mr D Neilson Mr William Rait 027.01 A Small house on the farm of that name, the property of the Earl of Kintore . Keith Hall
OS1/19/18/14 Swirlie Den Swirlie Den Swirlie Den Swirlie Den Swirlie Den Gaupieshaugh Denhead Mill of Criggie Mr William Rait Mr D. Neilson Mr J. Petrie 027.01 A Small Den or Glen branching from the Den of Morphie near Denhead. This name may be considered descriptive, it is not very well known.
OS1/19/18/14 [Page] 14 Parish of St Cyrus [Notes] Spittalmyre - "then should it be Spitalmyre ? AWL 1 Jany [January] 1867" Swirlie Den - "Swirlie- Full of twists (Jamieson) His gawcie tail wi' upward curl. Hung o'er his hurdies wi' a swirl" (Burns) [The Twa Dugs] Gaupieshaugh, Denhead, Mill of Criggie - See Name Sheets of 27.2
OS1/19/18/15 Gaupieshaugh Gaupieshaugh Gaupieshaugh Gaupieshaugh Gape Hagh Valuation Roll 1862-63, Mr Joseph Petrie Tenant Mr John McGregor Criggie on house date 1503 027.01 An ordinary farm house with offices garden &c attached the property of William Forsyth Grant Esqr. of Ecclesgreig
OS1/19/18/15 Denhead Denhead Denhead Denhead Mr Joseph Petrie Mr John McGregor Mr Alexander Low, Taylorspark 027.01 An ordinary farm house with offices garden &c attached the property of William Forsyth Grant Esqr of Ecclesgreig. And so called from being near the head of the Den of Morphie
OS1/19/18/15 Mill of Criggie Mill of Criggie (Corn) Mill of Criggie (Corn) Mill of Criggie (Corn) Mill of Criggie (Corn) Valuation Roll 1862-63 Mr John McGregor Mr Alexander Low Garden's Co [County] Map (1774) 027.01 An ordinary corn mill driven by water power with dwellinghouse garden &c attached- property of W.F. Grant Esqr Ecclesgreig
OS1/19/18/15 [Page] 15 Ph [Parish] of St Cyrus "To Gaup. To gape to look up in a wild way " (Jamieson)
OS1/19/18/16 Brandshill Brandshill Brandshill Brandshill Brandsbank Mr William Falconer Tenant Mr Alexander Low Taylorspark Mr Joseph Petrie Gaupieshaugh Valuation Roll 1862-63 027.02 An ordinary farm house with outhouses garden etc attached to the property of William Forsyth Grant Esqr of Ecclesgreig
OS1/19/18/16 Criggie Criggie Criggie Criggie Criggie Criggie Valuation Roll 1862-63 Mr John McGregor Tenant Mr Alexander Low Voter's List Garden's Co [County] Map (1774) 027.02 A good farm house with offices yard garden &c attached the property of William Forsyth Grant Esqr of Ecclesgreig
OS1/19/18/16 Upper Craighill Upper Craighill Upper Craighill Upper Craighill Upper Craighill Valuation Roll 1862-62 Mr John McGregor Mr Alexander Low Voters list On Carts 027.02 An ordinary farm house with offices etc attached the property of William Forsyth Grant Esqr. Ecclesgreig
OS1/19/18/16 [Page] 16 Ph [Parish] of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/17 Woodstone Hll Woodstone Hill Woodstone Hill Woodstone Hill Woodstone Hill Hill of Woodston Mr John Webster Woodstone Mr James McHardy Lower Crighill Mr Alexander Low Taylorspark Mr & Mrs Rait (Muirhead) Garden's Co [County] Map (date 1774) 027.02 A very Conspicuous eminence so called, densely wooded from its base to the Summit. This name applies to the Hill feature.
OS1/19/18/17 Taylorspark Taylors Park Taylorspark Taylorspark Taylor's Park Valuation Roll 1862-63 Mr Alexander Low (Tenant) Mr James McHardy Voter's List 027.02 A very good farm house with offices yard garden &c attached, the property of William Forsyth Grant Esqr , Ecclesgreig. Taylors Park to the fields, but it is Considered that Taylorspark should be written for the House.
OS1/19/18/17 Woodstone Woodstone Woodstone Woodstone Woodstone Woodston Valuation Roll 1862-63 Mr John Webster Tenant Mr James McHardy Voter's List Gordon's Co [County] Map 027.2 An excellent farm house with offices yards garden & ornamental ground &c attached to the property of Alexander D. Fordyce Esqr. Woodstone
OS1/19/18/17 [Page] 17 Ph [Parish] of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/18 Ecclesgreig Ecclesgreig Ecclesgreig Ecclesgreig Mount Cyrus Valuation Roll 1862-63 William Forsyth Grant Esqr Mr John Webster Woodstone, New Stat. Act [Statistical Account] 027.02 A beautiful modern mansion with offices, yards, garden and ornamental grounds &c attached all very neat and in good repair the property and residence of William Forsyth Grant Esqr. This was called "Mount Cyrus" some time ago, but is now well known by the name as given by proprietor.
OS1/19/18/18 Lower Craighill Lower Craighill Lower Craighill Lower Craighill Lower Craighill Valuation Roll 1862- 63 Mr James McHardy Tenant Mr John Webster Voter's List 027.02 An ordinary farm house with offices and garden &c attached the property of William Forsyth Grant Esqr, Ecclesgreig.
OS1/19/18/18 [Page] 18 Ph [Parish] of St Cyrus "The name Ecclesgreig was at one time applied exclusively to that section of the parish, called in an old Charter of the lands of Kirkside, "the Ecclesiastical lands of Ecclesgreig, alias Kirkside." (New Stat. Act [Statistical Account] P [Page] 269)
OS1/19/18/19 Totterie Totterie Totterie Tottery Estate Plan 1840 Alexander Porteous Esqr Valuation Roll 1862-63 027.03 A group of Cottages on the Estate of Lauriston. They are in moderate repair, proprietor Alexander Porteous Esqr. Lauriston Castle
OS1/19/18/19 Quarryford Quarryford Quarryford Quarrelford Quarryfield Alexander Porteous Esqr Estate Plan 1862 Estate Plan 1840 Valuation Roll 1862-63 027.03 This name applies to an extensive range of farm buildings recently erected, also to a Cottage near them. The name formerly applied to the Cottage only, but Mr Porteous has given the name to the new steading. Property of A. Porteous Esqr, Lauriston Castle.
OS1/19/18/19 Elsinore Elsinore Elsinore Elsinore Elsinore Elsinoor Estate Plan 1862 Alexander Porteous Esq Valuation Roll 1862-63 Mr Hall (Proprietor) Garden's Co [County] Map 1862-63 027.03 A good Substantial Cottage built on a feu of the Estate of Lauriston
OS1/19/18/19 Bourtree Bush Bourtree Bush Bourtree Bush Bourtree Bush Bourtry Bush Bush Estate Plan 1840 Alexander Porteous Esqr A. Neilson (Inspector of Poor) Garden's Co [County] Map Valuation Roll 1862-62 027.03 A small hamlet Situated on the road side, from Montrose to Bervie and about 1 mile east from St Cyrus. There is a Small Inn here, which is called "Bush Inn". Principal proprietor A. Porteous Esqr. Lauriston Castle
OS1/19/18/19 [Page] 19 Parish of St Cyrus "Bourtree A Shrub of Elder"
OS1/19/18/19 [Source of explanation for Bourtree cut off at bottom of page. ]
OS1/19/18/20 Den of Lauriston Den of Lauriston Den of Lauriston Den of Lauriston Estate Plan 1840 Alexander Porteous Esqr Mr A Neilson (St Cyrus) 027.03 A fine Valley or Den which commences near Lauriston Castle and extends to the Sea. At its northern extremity the slopes are very precipitous, and at the castle a rock nearly perpendicular on each side.
OS1/19/18/20 [Page] 20 [Parish of St Cyrus]
OS1/19/18/21 Lauriston Quarry Lauriston Quarry Lauriston Quarry Lauriston Quarry Lauriston Quarry Estate Plan Valuation Roll 1862-63 Alexander Porteous Esqr. Mr David Kinnear 027.03 An Extensive free-Stone quarry on the Lauriston Estate, hence the name. The property of Alexander Porteous Esqr. Lauriston Castle
OS1/19/18/21 Mains of Lauriston Mains of Lauriston Mains of Lauriston Mains of Lauriston Estate Plan Valuation Roll for 1863 Alexander Porteous Esqr 027.03 A Stone built farm house having outhouses gardens &c attached. The property of Alexander Porteous Esqr, Lauriston Castle.
OS1/19/18/21 School School (Female) School (Female) School (Female) Estate plan Alexander Porteous Esqr Miss Lawson Teacher 027.03 A Stone built house having residence for teacher, gardens &c attached. Built by Alexander Porteous Esqr for the education of female Children Property of Alexander Porteous Esqr. Lauriston Castle
OS1/19/18/21 [Page] 21 Parish of Lauriston
OS1/19/18/22 Lauriston Castle Lauriston Castle Lauriston Castle Lauriston Castle Laurieston Estate Plan Alexander Porteous Esq Statistical account of the Co [County] Gardens Co [County] map. 027.03 The Castle and lands of Lauriston continued in the possession of the Straton family for a period of four hundred years prior to 1695, when the estate was sold to Sir "John Falconer" and Elizabeth Trent, "his wife," from whose representatives it was purchased, about fifty years ago, by its late proprietor Mr Brand. At that time the only parts of the building remaining were a portion of a very strong circular wall which had formed the western enclosure of the castle, a tower of a square form at one extremity of this wall and built on a projecting ledge of the precipice, along the edge of which the wall was carried, and a portion of the ancient chapel. These remains of the fortress are preserved by having been in Corporated some years after the purchase of the lands by Mr Brand, into a spacious and modern Mansion . (New Stat [Statistical] Account 279-80)
OS1/19/18/22 Site of Chapel 027.03 The Chapel at the Castle stood at the South West side of the Courtyard, and appears to have been there for the use of the retainers at the Castle. There is a Falcon cut in Stone on part of the Old Wall (which is said by Mr Porteous to be part of the Chapel Wall,) and during the Course of building &c some years ago there were found a small vault or Tomb under the figure of the Bird. In the Tomb there was human remains. The Falcon was the crest of the Stratons.
OS1/19/18/22 [Page] 22 Parish of Saint Cyrus See Site of St Lawrence's Chapel and Chapelfield " The estate of Lauriston so named it would seem in honor of St Lawrence, to whom a Chapel was dedicated which stood at Chapelfield, belonged at, and before the year 1243 to Sir John of Strivelyn, who granted the chapel to the prior & Canons of St Andrews, together with a pound of wax yearly the price of which was to be regulated according to the market value at Montrose ( [Reg, prior, S. Andree [Register of the riory of St. Andrews] Some time ago the old font of this chapel now preserved at Lauriston was found buried among a quantity of rubbish" (P [Page] 373) Lauriston. "Lauriston, on the other hand is much more sheltered and is so situated that it possesses no very extensive or varied prospect. The house, which Stands picturesquely upon the east bank of the burn of Lauriston, is partly old and partly new. The older portion of which a Square tower only remains, seems not to belong to an earlier period than the first half of the sixteenth century, although according to tradition this is part of the fabric which Buchanan says was garrisoned by the English during the reign of King David II" ( Memorials of Angus & Mearns P [Page] 374.)
OS1/19/18/22 The descriptions of the Castle & Chapel are intermingled in the original. I have attempted to present them logically.
OS1/19/18/23 Greystone Greystone Greystone Greystone Valuation Roll for 1862-3 Mr Kenneth McRae (Tenant) Mr David Kinnear 027.03 A farm house having outhouses garden &c attached. The poperty of Alexander Dingwall Fordyce Esq Woodstone.
OS1/19/18/23 Shortside Shortside Shortside Shortside Shortside Estate Plan Alexander Porteous Esqr Mr William Scott (Tenant) Valuation Roll for 1862-3 027.03 Several dwelling houses having outhouses gardens &c attached. The property of Alexander Porteous Esqr Lauriston Castle.
OS1/19/18/23 Burnmouth Burnmouth Burnmouth Burnmouth Estate Plan Valuation Roll for 1862-3 Alexander Porteous Esqr 027.03 A row of dwellings in middling repair. Situated at the Mouth of the Stream which flows through Den Fenella, hence the name. The property of Alexander Porteous Esqr Lauriston Castle.
OS1/19/18/23 Den Finella Bridge Den Fenella or Den Finella Bridge Den Fenella or Den Finella Bridge This is a County Bridge Alexander Porteous Esqr Mr A Neilson (Inspector of Poor) 027.03 A good Substantial Stone bridge over Den Finella on the Turnpike Road from Stonehaven to Montrose. There is a very fine Waterfall under this Bridge.
OS1/19/18/23 [Page] 23 Parish of St Cyrus [Note] See Strath Finella, Strathfinella Hill, and extracts on Kincardine Castle Fordoun Ph [Parish] for orthography of Finella.
OS1/19/18/24 Mains of Bridgeton Mains of Bridgeton Mains of Bridgeton Mains of Bridgeton Valuation Roll 1862-3 Mr David Fitchett (Tenant) Mr John Mill. Ryehills 027.03 A farm house, having outhouses, gardens &c attached. The property of Colonel Orr, Bridgton
OS1/19/18/24 Den Finella Den Finella Den Fenella Den Fenel Den Fenella Den Fenella or Den Finella Memorials of Angus & Mearns New Stat Act [Statistical Account] 272 New Stat Act [Statistical Account] 23 Estate Plan 1840 Alexander Porteous Esqr 027.03 "The largest of these (Burns) is that which rises on the heights of Garvock and Collecting the waters from about eight Square miles, issues through the romantic Den Finella to the Sea, near the east end of the Parish, and is chiefly noticeable on account of the beauty of the Scenery in the neighbourhood of a waterfall which occurs near its termination." ( New Stat. Acc. [Statistical Account] P. [page] 272) "It ought to be stated that the little romantic valley called Den Finella is upon the property of Lauriston, and tradition affirms that it was so called because Lady Finella, the reputed assassin of King Kenneth III was overtaken here by her pursuers, when rather than fall into their hands, she committed self destruction by leaping from the rocks into a deep gully, where the water tumbles from a height of about 150 feet." ( Memorials of Angus & Mearns P. [page] 375.) A name given to a large glen through which a small stream flows. Near its Southern extremity it is planted on each side, the slopes here are very steep and the rocks precipitous. The name is well known though scarcely any two persons spell it with the same letters i.e. Finella or Fenella, for further information on the Lady's name see extracts on Kincardine Castle relating to the Murder of King Kenneth III, also "Strath Finella", and Strathfinella Hill. B. Render Corporal RE [Royal Engineers]
OS1/19/18/24
OS1/19/18/24
OS1/19/18/24 [Page] 24 Parish of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/24 I have opted to put the actual description of the glen in the Description Remarks box and the quotations from sources in the Continued entries.
OS1/19/18/25 Bridgeton Bridgeton Bridgeton Bridgeton Valuation Roll 1862-3 Mr David Fitchett (Mains of Bridgton) Mr John Milne Ryehills 027.04 A Stone built house in bad repair having outhouses & gardens attached. The property of William Adam Orr Esqr Bridgeton
OS1/19/18/25 Lilybank Lilybank Lilybank Lilybank Valuation Roll 1862-3 Mr David Fitchett Mr John Milne 027.04 A farm house having outhouses attached, all in bad repair. The property of William Adam Orr Esqr Bridgeton
OS1/19/18/25 Gateside Gateside Gateside Gateside Valuation Roll 1862-3 Estate Plan Alexander Porteous Esqr 027.04 A farm house having out houses & garden attached. The property of Alexander Porteous Esqr Lauriston Castle
OS1/19/18/25 [Page] 25 Parish of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/26 Ryehills Ryehills Ryehills Ryehills Valuation Roll 1862-3 Mr John Milne (Tenant) Mr David Fitchett 027.04 A farm house, having outhouses & garden attached. The property of William Adam Orr Esqr Bridgeton
OS1/19/18/26 East Mathers East Mathers East Mathers East Mathers Easter Mathers Easter Mathers Easter Mathers Valuation Roll 1862-3 Mr William Kidd (Tenant) Estate Plan 1862 Estate Plan 1840 Johnstons's Co [county] Map New Stat Acct [Statistical Account] p. [page] 280 027.04 A farm house having outhouses & Gardens attached. The property of Alexander Porteous Esq Lauriston Castle.
OS1/19/18/26 Seagreens Seagreens Seagreens Seagreens Valuation Roll 1862-3 Estate Plan Alexander Porteous Esqr 027.04 Several Cottages, having outhouses and gardens attached, all in middling repair. The property of Alexander Porteous Esqr Lauriston Castle.
OS1/19/18/26 [Page] 26 Parish of St. Cyrus
OS1/19/18/27 Narrows Narrows Narrows Narrows Valuation Roll 1862-3 Estate Plan Alexander Porteous Esqr 027.04 A farm house, having outhouses, garden &c attached. The property of Alexander Porteous Esqr Lauriston Castle.
OS1/19/18/27 Brandshill Wood Brandshill Wood Brandshill Wood Brandshill Wood Mr J Petrie (Gaupieshaugh) Mr William Raitt (Muirhead) Mr J Anderson (Maryland) 024.14 A large plantation mostly fir situated near Maryland. Proprietor W F Grant Esqr Ecclesgreig
OS1/19/18/27 [Page] 27 Parish of St. Cyrus
OS1/19/18/28 [Page] 28 [Blank Page]
OS1/19/18/29 Canterland Lodge Canterland Lodge Canterland Lodge Canterland Lodge William Mathewson Esqr (Factor) Mr William Blacklaws (Tenant) Valuation Roll 1862-63 026.08 A good substantial dwelling house and Farm Steading, the property of the Earl of Kintore. Keith Hall
OS1/19/18/29 Backhill Backhill Backhill Backhill William Mathewson Esqr.(Factor) Mr William Blacklaw (Tenant) Estate Plan 026.08 A Small cottage on the Farm of Canterland, the property of the Earl of Kintore. Keith Hall.
OS1/19/18/29 [Page] 29 Parish of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/30 [Page] 30 [Blank Page]
OS1/19/18/31 Canterland Lodge Canterland Canterland Canterland Valuation Roll 1862-63 William Mathewson Esqr (Factor) Mr Charles Peter (Tenant) 027.05 A large and Substantial farm steading the property of the Earl of Kintore. Keith Hall.
OS1/19/18/31 Pitbeadly Pitbeadly Pitbeadly Pitbeadly Pitbeadly Pitbeadlay William Mathewson Esqr (Factor) Mr Charles Peter Mr James Adamson (Morphie) Gordons Co [County] Map New Stat Act [Statistical Account] 027.05 A good substantial farm steading and a few labourers Cottages the property of the Earl of Kintore Keith Hall. Mr Mathewson says that Pitbeadly is the proper orthography.
OS1/19/18/31 Morphie Morphie Morphie Morphie Morphie Morphie Morphy Valuation Roll 1862-63 "Land of the Lindsays" (p. [page] 321) Garden's Co [County] Map Mr James Adamson (Tenant) William Mathewson Esqr (Laurencekirk) New Stat Act [Statistical Account]. 027.05 A good Substantial dwelling house and large farm steading the property of Baron Graham Esqr Morphie. Mr Adamson states that Morphie is the proper orthography and is so written in all his documents.
OS1/19/18/31 [Page] 31 Parish of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/32 Hill of Morphie Hill of Morphie Hill of Morphie Hill of Morphie Valuation Roll 1862-63 Mr William Graham (Tenant) Mr James Adamson (Morphie) 027.05 A small farm steading in good repair the property of Baron Graham Esqr Morphie
OS1/19/18/32 Brown Hill of Morphie Brown Hill of Morphie Brown Hill of Morphie Brown Hill of Morphie Valuation Roll 1862-63 Mr W Graham [Tenant- Hill of Morphie] Mr James Adamson, Morphie James Potter (Tenant) 027.05 A small farm steading the property of Baron Graham Esqr Morphie.
OS1/19/18/32 Sillycoats Sillycoats Sillycoats Sillycoats Mr John Milne (Tenant) Valuation Roll 1862-63 Plan of Farm 027.05 A good substantial farm steading the property of Baron Graham Esqr Morphie
OS1/19/18/32 Den of Morphie Bridge Den of Morphie Bridge Den of Morphie Bridge Den of Morphie Bridge Mr James Adamson Mr Charles Peter Mr William Graham 027.05 A Co [County] Bridge over the stream in the Den of Morphie. It is in good repair. This is a County Bridge.
OS1/19/18/32 [Page] 32 Parish of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/32 I assume that the dittos refer to the entry copied just before this one, and have amended the Tenant description accordingly.
OS1/19/18/33 Den of Morphie Den of Morphie Den of Morphie Den of Morphie Den of Morphie William Mathewson Esqr (Factor in Kintore E [Estate] Mr Charles Peter (Canterland) Mr James Adamson (Morphie) Mr John Milne (Sillycoats) 027.05 A large and romantic looking Den or hollow through which a stream (which has no name) runs. The name applies from near the Farm house of Sillycoats to the North Esk
OS1/19/18/33 Camp Camp Camp Camp William Mathewson Esqr Mr James Adamson Mr Charles Peter. 027.05 "On the most prominent part of the hill of Pitbeadly (i.e. the grave of the house of the hiill) there is a small Circular Camp, which, within a few years was in a state of tolerable preservation. It is nearly forty yards in diameter, and had a ditch and a wall of turf and stones, and a central building constructed of Stone. Some remains of human bones were lately exhumed within its inclosure. There is however no tradition connected with it" (New Stat Act [New Statistical Account] p 282) This Camp is situated in the corner of a plantation on the Estate of Canterland and about half a mile north of the farm house of Canterland. The Camp (which is evidently British.) is in a good state of preservation, and the ditch can be easily traced, it is circular and about 150 links in diameter. It is said that human bones were found in the Centre of the Camp, but there is no tradition of [Continued on following page]
OS1/19/18/33 [Page] 33 Parish of St Cyrus [Note] Camp- (Human Bones found here)
OS1/19/18/34 (Camp contd [continued] any Stone Coffins or Urns being found. The centre of the Camp is higher than the surrounding ground and has been apparently artificially elevated.
OS1/19/18/34 [Page} 34 Parish of St Cyrus [Signed] B Render Corpl RE [Corporal] Royal Engineers] 17/7/63 [17 July 1863]
OS1/19/18/35 Site of Castle of Morphie Site of Castle of Morphie Charles Peter (Canterland) James Adamson (Morphie) 027.05 "On the South side of the Den of Morphy Stood another ancient Castle, the seat of the family of Graham, in whose possession the estate of Morphy has been for several Centuries. It was once a place of considerable strength, and secured from the attacks of an enemy by a ditch and draw bridge, according to the genius of those days, but now few remains of it are to be seen." (Old Stat. Act. [Statistical Account] Vol. [Volume] II P [page] 104-5.) "Another fortress in the parish was the Castle of Morphy, on the property of Francis Graham Esqr, and said to have been a residence of the noble family of that name, it is believed to have been a place of some strength, was defended by a wall, ditch, and drawbridge, and occupied a commanding position on the brink of a romantic ravine uniting with the valley of the North Esk. Its site is now a ploughed field." (New Stat. Act [Statistical Account] P. [page] 281) Every vestige of the Castle is now destroyed , and no trace of the ditch is to be seen. Mr Adamson the Tenant on the ground, who pointed out the site, states that he took out the the foundation walls some years ago. The site is on the South Side of the Den of Morphie, and on the top of a steep bank, the slope of which would be a formidable defence to the Castle on two of its sides. There is an Old Irish Yew tree, (now dead) standing near the site, and it is supposed to have stood in the Castle Garden. Mr Adamson stated that the yew tree is supposed to be 600 years old, the wood is so hard that a Rifle Ball will scarcely penetrate it.
OS1/19/18/35 [Page] 35 Parish of St Cyrus [Signed] B. Render Corpl.l RE [Corporal Royal Engineers] 6/8/63
OS1/19/18/36 Stone of Morphie Stone of Morphie Stone of Morphie Stone of Morphie Charles Peters (Canterland) James Adamson (Morphie) John Stephens (Commieston) 027.09 "A huge square stone pillar of about 12 feet high is still standing at Stone of Morphy, and seems to have given rise to its name. Whether this ancient pillar was erected to preserve the memory of some gallant warrior of the name of Graham or whether it be the only relick of a Druidical temple, it is difficult to determine. But the first conjecture seems to be the most natural, because it is the only Stone at that place and goes by the name of The Stone of Morphy" (Old Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] Vol II P [Page]105 "The Stone of Morphy- This is an obelisk situated on the lands of the same name in the western division of the parish. With reference to [what] the writer of the former account says, that is is difficult to determine whether it had been erected to preserve the memory of some gallant warrior of the name of Graham, to which noble family the lands of Morphy originally belonged, or whether it may be a remnant of a Druidical temple, while at the same time, he appears not to have been aware of the existence of a tradition, which says , that it was erected in memory of a son of Camus, or some other important personage in his army, who was killed here in an engagement with the Scots, after the defeat and death of the Danish leader at Panbride. The Danes on that event immediately retreated Northward, and according to the tradition, encountered the Scots near the Stone of Morphy, and that a battle had there taken place is probable, from the immense number of stone coffins, containing human bones , which have been found, particularly in and near a field called the "Sick Man"s Shade, close by the stone.The farm adjoining that on which the pillar stands bears
OS1/19/18/36 [Page] 36 Parish of St. Cyrus
OS1/19/18/37 Stone of Morphy Continued stands, bears the name of Comeston, or, as it is written in old records Camuston. The names of Wardroperton and Scotstown, two farms bordering on the latter seem to indicate the position of the Scottish army, and a den quite close to the pillar is called Dannie's Den, which seems easily convertible into Danish Den. The form of the stone which is a plain unsculptured obelisk of 13 feet in height above the ground and tapering from 4 feet in breadth at the base, to 2 at the top seems also to correspond with the description of other Danish monuments in different parts of Scotland" ( New Stat. Act. [Statistical Account] P 281-2 .) This Stone stands in the Stack Yard of the farm Steading to which it gives the name. It is a large irregular shaped block of freestone of about 4 feet by 2, and about 12 feet of it is above the ground , there is no mark of a tool upon it, and it appears to have been erected in an unhewn state , for what purpose is mere conjecture. - About three years ago a Stack fell against it and the Stone was knocked over. Previous to its re-erection Curiosity led the proprietor to excavate around the base of the Stone, during the excavation , part of a human skeleton embeded [embedded] in black unctuous earth, was discovered close to the stone, and the body appeared to have been buried without a Coffin or Urn, as nothing of that kind was found. This would lead to the supposition that the stone had been erected to Commemorate a person who had been buried here. This information was given by Mr James Adamson of Morphie
OS1/19/18/37 [Page]37 Parish of St Cyrus [Signed] B Render Corpl. R.E. [Corporal Royal Engineers] 4/8/63
OS1/19/18/38 [Page] 38 [Blank Page]
OS1/19/18/39 North Snadon North Snadon North Snadon North Snadon North Snadon North Snadon North Snadon Backhill of Snadon Valuation Roll for 1862 & 3. David Fullerton Tenant, Mr Neilson, St Cyrus, Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh, Mr Robert Milne, Nether Wordstone Voter's List on carts 027.06 A Farm House, having offices &c attached. The property of William Forsyth Grant Esq. Ecclesgreig. This is spoken of as "Backhill of Snadon ", but the authorities quoted consider "North Snadon" to be the proper name and it is so written in Valuation Rolls for several years back.
OS1/19/18/39 South Snadon South Snadon, South Snadon, South Snadon, South Snadon, South Snadon Snadown South Snadon Valuation Rolls 1862 & 3. Mr William Goul. Tenant. Mr Neilson St Cyrus. Mr Robert Milne Nether Woodstone Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Gardens Co [County] Map. Voters list 027.06 A farm House and offices the property of William Forsyth Grant Esq. Ecclesgreig. This is spoken of as "Snadon" but the authorities State that South Snadon is the proper name and it is so written in Valuation Rolls for several years back
OS1/19/18/39 Snadon Parks Snadon Parks Snadon Parks Snadon Parks Snadon Parks Mr David Fullerton N. [North] Snadon Mr Neilson, St Cyrus. Alexander Edwards, St Cyrus. 027.06 A few Cottages on the road-side south of S. [South] Snadon Farm House. The property of William Forsyth Grant Esq. Ecclesgreig
OS1/19/18/39 Whitehill Whitehill Whitehill Whitehill Whitehill Valuation Roll for 1862 & 3 Alexander Edwards St Cyrus, Mr Neilson St Cyrus, Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh 027.06 A Row of laborers dwelling Houses having a Small portion of land attached to each house. This name applies also the the two ranges of houses &c to the north west of Lochside as marked on trace 5- Property of Various Small Proprietors
OS1/19/18/39 [Page] 39 Ph. [Parish] of Saint Cyrus
OS1/19/18/39 [Goul is my guess at the name here.] [ I have put Backhill of Snadon under "mode of spelling" & also put that in brackets in front of carts as the original seems to indicate.]
OS1/19/18/40 Burnhead Burnhead Burnhead Burnhead Burnhead Burnside Valuation Roll for 1862 & 3 Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Manse Mr Alexander Edwards St Cyrus Mr Neilson (Inspector of Poor) New Stat [Statistical] Act [Account] 027.06 Five dwelling houses and gardens, near the village of St Cyrus, they are in moderate repair and occupied by Laborers and Crofters. Property of various small proprietors.
OS1/19/18/40 Bowstripes Bowstripes Bowstripes Bowstripes Bowstripes Valuation Roll for 1862 & 3 Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Manse Mr Alexander Edwards St Cyrus Mr Watson St Cyrus 027.06 Three dwellinghouses and offices. The property of Alexander Dingwall Fordyce (Woodstone). These houses are in moderate repair and are mostly occupied by small crofters. The name is well known and spoken of by the people as "The Bows".
OS1/19/18/40 Ecclesgreig Road Ecclesgreig Road Ecclesgreig Road Ecclesgreig Road Ecclesgreig Road Valuation Roll for 1862 & 3 Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Manse Mr Alexander Edward St Cyrus Mr Neilson St Cyrus 027.06 A few Cottages and gardens On the roadside leading to Ecclesgreig House. property of various small proprietors-
OS1/19/18/40 Wellgreen Well Green Well Green Well Green Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Manse Mr Alexander Edwards St Cyrus Mr Neilson St Cyrus 027.06 Six Cottages & Gardens, near St Cyrus the name is well known. property of various small proprietors.
OS1/19/18/40 Burnbank Burnbank (Free Church Manse) Burnbank (Free Church Manse) Burnbank (Free Church Manse) Valuation Roll for 1862 & 3 Rev [Reverend] G Anderson Tenant Mr Alexander Edwards St Cyrus Mr Neilson St Cyrus 027.06 A good dwelling house offices and garden occupied by the Revd [Reverend] G Anderson Free Church Minister. property of the Free Church communion
OS1/19/18/40 Alma Lodge Alma Lodge Alma Lodge Alma Lodge Revd [Reverend] G Anderson Tenant Mr Alexander Edwards Mr Neilson St Cyrus 027.06 A good dwelling house garden &c near St Cyrus, the name is well known, the house is almost new.
OS1/19/18/40 [Page] 40 Ph. [Parish] of Saint Cyrus
OS1/19/18/41 Brown Hill of Morphie Brown Hill of Morphie Brown Hill of Morphie Brown Hill of Morphie Brown Hill of Morphie Valuation Roll for 1862 & 3 Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Mr Alexander Edward Mr Nielson 027.06 Two dwelling houses and offices. The property of Baron Graham Esqr, Morphie. This name also applies to the house &c on Plan27/5 they are Crofter's residences.
OS1/19/18/41 Lochside Lochside Lochside Lochside Lochside Valuation Roll for 1862& 3 Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Mr Alexander Edwards Mr Nielson 027.06 A name given to a group of dwelling houses gardens &c situated about half a mile west from the village of St Cyrus, the name is well known and it is supposed to be derived from a Loch that was once here, the ground is very low. Property of various small proprietors
OS1/19/18/41 Burnside Burnside Burnside Burnside Revd [Reverend] T McIntosh Mr Robert Milne Mr A Neilson (Inspector of Poor) 027.06 A good substantial dwelling house on the Ecclesgreig Road near St Cyrus. It is in good repair and said to be one of the first houses built here.
OS1/19/18/41 Davysland Davysland Davysland Davysland Davinaland Valuation Roll (from 1859 to 63) Mr A Neilson Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh James Murray (Tenant) 027.06 A small crofters' residence on the Estate of Ecclesgreig. Mr Neilson states that Davysland is the proper name for this place, and it is so written on all the parish documents, Mr McIntosh considers the name as given in Valuation Roll to be correct. Neither of the names are well known. Property of W.F.Grant Esqr, Ecclesgreig.
OS1/19/18/41 [Page] 41 Parish of Saint Cyrus
OS1/19/18/42 Hill of Morphie Hill of Morphie Hill of Morphie Hill of Morphie Mr William Graham (Hill of Morphie) Mr A Neilson (Inspector of Poor) Revd [Reverend] T. McIntosh 027.06 A considerable hill feature on the Estate of Morphie, it is mostly covered with Furze and heather, it is situated about one mile West from St Cyrus.
OS1/19/18/42 [Page] 42 Parish of Saint Cyrus
OS1/19/18/43 Church Church Church Church Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh, Minister Revd [Reverend] G Anderson Free Church Minister Mr Alexander Edwards. St Cyrus 027.06 The Parish Church of St Cyrus built about five years ago- This is a very neat building, and the spire is seen from a considerable distance.
OS1/19/18/43 Church (Remains of) Remains of Church 027.06 "About 160 years ago, the Church of Ecclesgreig stood below the Heughs of St Cyrus, on the shore, nigh the mouth of the North Esk. The Churchyard there continues, and is used as a burying ground by the Parish in general." (Old Stat Act. [Statistical Account]). "The Church which was built in 1785 to contain 870 feet sitting room - was enlarged in 1830. (New Stat Act.) [Statistical Account] "In 1632 this very incommodious situation was changed, and a new church built on an eminence a little above the Heughs of St Cyrus, more convenient to the parish, from its easy access and centrical situation". (Old Stat Act.) [Statistical Account]. The remains shown are said to be part of the church mentioned in this extract.
OS1/19/18/43 Free Church Free Church Free Church Free Church Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Minister Revd [Reverend] G Anderson Free Church Minister Mr A Neilson (Inspector of Poor) 027.06 A small building erected by the members of that persuasion, and used as a place of worship.
OS1/19/18/43 Post Office Post Office Post Office Post Office Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Minister Revd [Reverend] G Anderson Free Church Minister Mr A Neilson (Inspector of Poor) 027.06 A small branch office at the Milestone Marked 5 from Montrose from which place letters are delivered and sent twice daily.
OS1/19/18/43 [Page] 43
OS1/19/18/44 Straton School Straton School Straton School Straton School Straton School Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh St Cyrus Revd [Reverend] G Anderson St Cyrus Mr Alexander Edwards St Cyrus Mr Neilson St Cyrus 027.06 A School erected by the present proprietor of Kirkside for the education of females only. This School is kept up by small fees and an annual allowance from the proprietor. It is not Endowed
OS1/19/18/44 School School (Free Church) School (Free Church) School (Free Church) Revd [Reverend] G Anderson St Cyrus Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh St Cyrus Mr Alexander Edwards St Cyrus Mr Neilson St Cyrus 027.06 A School erected by the Congregation of the Free Church and used for the education of Children belonging to that denomination.
OS1/19/18/44 School School School School School Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Manse Revd [Reverend] G Anderson Mr Alexander Edwards Mr Neilson 027.06 The School house belonging to the Ph [Parish] of St Cyrus and used for the education of boys and Girls.
OS1/19/18/44 Gasometer Gasometer Gasometer Gasometer Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Manse Revd [Reverend] G Anderson Mr Alexander Edwards Mr Neilson 027.06 There are no Gas works at this place the Gasometer is the property of a small tradesman who made gas for his own use, but has now discontinued to do so.
OS1/19/18/44 [Page] 44 Ph [Parish] of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/45 Roadside Roadside Roadside Roadside Roadside Roadside Valuation Roll for 1862-3 Mr Alexander Edwards Mr Neilson Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh New Stat. Act. [Statistical Account] 027.06 A name given to a range of houses and gardens on the north side of the Turnpike Road near St Cyrus. the name though descriptive is well known.
OS1/19/18/45 Manse Manse Manse Manse Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Mr A Neilson Mr R Milne 027.06 A good substantial dwelling house with offices &c attached, the residence of the Parish Minister.
OS1/19/18/45 [Page] 45 Ph [Parish] of St Cyrus Saint Cyrus - described on Page 3
OS1/19/18/46 Rosefield Rosefield Rosefield Rosefield Rosefield Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Mr Alexander Edwards Mr Neilson Valuation Roll for 1862 & 3 027.06 A good dwelling house having offices & Garden attached, and situated in the village of St Cyrus.
OS1/19/18/46 Long Row Long Row Long Row Long Row Long Row Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Rev [Reverend] G Anderson Mr Alexander Edwards Mr Neilson 027.06 A Row of Laborers dwelling houses &c situated in the village of St Cyrus.
OS1/19/18/46 Collie's Row Collie's Row Collie's Row Collie's Row Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Mr Alexander Gavin Mr Neilson 027.06 Four laborers Cottages so named after the person who built them. They are by some called "Collie's Rang" but the Minister stated Row to be the proper name.
OS1/19/18/46 Mercury Lone Mercury Lone Mercury Lone Mercury Lone Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Mr Alexander Gavin St Cyrus Mr Neilson 027.06 Two dwellinghouses & Offices. A name is also applied to the road leading to Roadside.
OS1/19/18/46 Mercuryburn Mercuryburn Mercuryburn Mercuryburn Revd [Reverend] Thomas McIntosh Mr Alexander Gavin Mr Neilson 027.06 A dwelling house & garden situated near the Manse of St Cyrus. It is not known from what those names are derived, unless it be from "Mere", the sea, The house evidently
OS1/19/18/46 Page 46 Ph [Parish] of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/46 [ I note the two spellings of] Mercury Lone] [and] Mercurylone [are in red in the Place entry column as referred to in the Description Remarks but I cannot fit both into the box]. [The last line of this page is cut off.]
OS1/19/18/47 Nether Woodston Nether Woodston Nether Woodston Nether Woodston Nether Woodston Nether Woodston Valuation Roll 1862-3 Mr Robert Milne (Tenant) Mr James Carnegie (Mill of Woodston) Johnston's Co [County] Map Garden's Co [County] Map 027.07 A farm house having out-houses & gardens attached. The property of Alexander Dingwall. Woodstone.
OS1/19/18/47 Mill of Woodston Mill of Woodston (Corn) Mill of Woodston (Corn) Mill of Woodston (Corn) Woodston Mill Mill of Woodston Valuation Roll 1862-3 Mr James Scott (Tenant) Mr James Carnegie (Miller) Johnston's Co [County] Map Garden's Co [County] Map 027.07 A Corn Mill and several dwellings for outdoor Servants attached. The property of Alexander Dingwall Fordice Esqr Woodstone.
OS1/19/18/47 West Mathers West Mathers West Mathers West Mathers West Mathers Valuation Roll 1862-3 Mr James Scott (Tenant) Mr James Carnegie Johnstons Co. [County] Map 027.07 A farm house having out-houses garden &c attached The property of Alexander Dingwall Fordice Esqr Woodstone
OS1/19/18/47 [Page] 47 Parish of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/48 Tangleha Tangleha' Tangleha' Tangleha' Tangleha' Tangleha' Mr James Carnegie Mr Robert Milne Mr James Scott New Stat. Act [New Statistical Account] p 275 Alexander Porteous Esqr (Lauriston) 027.07 Several tenements having outhouses gardens &c attached. The property of Alexander Dingwall Fordice Esqr Woodstone.
OS1/19/18/48 Milton of Mathers Milton of Mathers Milton of Mathers Milton of Mathers Milton of Mathers Milton of Mathers Millton of Mathers Millton of Mathers Millton Estate Plan (1862) Alexander Porteous Esqr Valuation Roll 1862-3 Mr David Kinneard (Tenant) New Stat Act P 274 [Statistical Account] Estate Plan 1840 Johnstons Co [County] Map Gardens Co [County] Map 027.07 A farm house having outhouses & garden attached. The property of Alexander Porteous Esqr Lauriston Castle. Millton would appear to be the proper orthography as the name has evidently risen from its vicinity to the Mill.
OS1/19/18/48 Mill of Mathers Mill of Mathers Mill of Mathers Mill of Mathers Estate Plan Alexander Porteous Esqr Mr David Kinnear (tenant) 027.07 A Corn mill having outhouses and Cottages for Servants attached. The property of Alexander Porteous Esqr Lauriston Castle.
OS1/19/18/48 [Page] 48 Parish of St Cyrus "Tangle. An icicle" "Ha" A manor house (Jamieson)
OS1/19/18/49 Mineral Well Mineral Well (Chalybeate) Alexander Porteous Esqr (Lauriston) 027.07 "The whole of the Springs from Sandstone and Clayey gravel are more or less impregnated with iron. One in particular near the village of Milton is saturated with iron, and had the reputation some years ago of alleviating the symptoms of various complaints" (N.Stat. Act P272) [New Statistical Account] This Well or Spring is Situated on the road side near to Milton of Mathers and is well known by the people as the Medicine Well It is highly impregnated with Iron and appears to hold a considerable quantity in suspension as the deposit left is quite red. There is a good flow of water.
OS1/19/18/49 [Page] 49 Parish of St Cyrus [Signed] B. Render Corpl. R.E. [Corporal Royal Engineers] 24/8/63 [24th August 1863]
OS1/19/18/50 Montrose and Bervie Railway Montrose and Bervie Raily [Railway] Montrose and Bervie Raily[Railway] Montrose and Bervie Raily[Railway] A. Porteous Esq, Lauriston Castle (Chairman) The Company's Documents &c Bradshaw's Railway Guide for 1866 027.07 A newly constructed line of railway for the conveyance of goods and passengers between Montrose and Bervie though a single line of a railway it has telegraph communication upon it.
OS1/19/18/50 [Page 50] St Cyrus Parish Kincardineshire
OS1/19/18/51 Sands of St Cyrus Sands of St Cyrus Sands of St Cyrus Sands of St Cyrus Mr William Thompson. St Cyrus Mr John Anderson St Cyrus Mr Walter Young St Cyrus 027.07 An extensive Sandy Strand Situated between the mouth of the river North Esk and the Kaim of Mathers. Salmon fishing is carried on, along this beach, to a considerable extent.
OS1/19/18/51 Heughs of St Cyrus Heughs of St Cyrus Heughs of St Cyrus Heughs of St Cyrus Mr William Thompson Mr John Anderson Mr Walter Young 027.07 A considerable range of precipitous cliffs Situated between the village of St Cyrus and the Sea coast.
OS1/19/18/51 Woodston Fishery Woodston Fishery Woodston Fishery Woodston Fishery Mr William Thompson Mr John Anderson Mr Walter Young 027.07 A cottage dwelling with some offices, and fish house attached, Situated on on the edge of The Heughs of St Cyrus tenanted by Fishermen, and forming part of the estate of Woodston.
OS1/19/18/51 Woodston Burn Woodston Burn Woodston Burn Woodston Burn Mr William Thompson Mr John Anderson Mr Walter Young 027.07 A Small Stream, rising in the high grounds west of St Cyrus, and falling into the Sea immediately South of The Kaim of Mathers. Just before entering the Sea the Stream forms a beautiful Cascade, or fall over the cliffs .
OS1/19/18/51 [Page] 51 Ph [parish ] of St Cyrus Kincardineshire
OS1/19/18/51 [The is crossed out in Red ink]
OS1/19/18/52 Site of Church Site of Church Site of Church Site of Church Mr William Thompson St Cyrus Mr John Anderson St Cyrus Old Stat Acct [Statistical account] Vol ll p. 105 027.10 'About 160 years ago the Church of Ecclesgreig stood below the Heughs of St Cyrus on the Shore nigh the mouth of the North Esk. The church yard there still continues and is used as a burying ground by the parish in general." Near the churchyard the sea, in Conflux with the varying course of the river, discovered some years ago the walls of a house, that had been from time immemorial, entirely buried under the Sand, From its dimensions, internal divisions, and situation , it was undoubtedly the residence of the ministers in ancient times. (Old Stat. Act [Statistical Account] Vol. II P [Page] 105) "The Church of St Cyrus or Ecclesgreig (i.e. St Gregory's Church), was dedicated to St Cyr, whose remains were interred in the old churchyard by the sea side.The Church was given to St Andrews by Bishop Richard, and the chapel which was inscribed to St Laurenceand stood at Chapeltown of Laurieston was in the same diocese." (Land of the Lindsays P 321) "No such remains of ancient architecture as those in Angus are to be met within the Mearns, indeed with the exception of a Priory, which is recorded to have stood at Ecclesgreig, or St Cyrus, and to have been ancient in the days of King William the Lion, there is no trace even in history of any convent in the Mearns." (Memorials of Angus & Mearns p.27) The site of this Priory, if it did exist, cannot now be ascertained.
OS1/19/18/52 [Page] 52 Ph. [Parish] of St. Cyrus Kincardine
OS1/19/18/53 The Kairn of Mathers The Kaim of Mathers The Kaim of Mathers The Kaim of Mathers Mr William Thompson Mr John Anderson New Stat Acct p 280 [New Statistical Account page 280] 027.07 "The Kaim of Mathers, or camp of Mathers, so called from its situation on the lands of Mathers, is a ruin on a rocky and almost inaccessible peninsula overlooking the sea, about a mile and a half Southward of the house of Lauriston. The isthmus Connecting the rock with the main land, was guarded by two rows of battlements, one of which still remains in a state of considerable preservation. There are traces of building around the greater part of the rock, and on its Seaward extremity there are the remains of a square tower, which can only be approached by a leap over a chasm of 60 feet in depth. This place is supposed to have been the residence of certain of the ancestors of Mr Barclay of Ury, and to have been used as a place of retreat by one of that family in the time of James I. The tradition respecting it is connected with the Story of the death of Melville, Sheriff of the Mearns, and appears from Sir Walter Scott to have had some foundation in fact."(New Stat Act [Statistical Account] P. [Page] 280) "Hard by the fall of the Stream of Woodston on the E. [East] stands the Kame of Mathers, the ancient residence of the Barclays. This Kame is built on a peninsular rock whose base is washed by the Sea. A small part of the ruins of this ancient building now remains. It must undoubtedly have been a place of great strength. The access to it is by a narrow and almost impassable isthmus. The rock on which it stands is perpendicular and its height above the sea 60 feet." (Old Stat. Act. Vol II P.102) [Old Statistical Account Volume II page 102]
OS1/19/18/53 [Page] 53
OS1/19/18/54 Rock Hall Rock Hall Rock Hall Rock Hall Mr William Thomson Mr John Anderson Mr Walter Young 027.07 A dwelling house situated on the edge of the cliff on the sea coast, near the Kaim of Mathers. It is tenanted by hinds, and forms part of the estate of Woodstone property of A.D. Fordyce Esqr of Woodstone
OS1/19/18/54 Milton Ness Milton Ness Milton Ness Milton Ness Mr William Thomson Mr John Anderson Mr Walter Young 027.07 A low rocky point on the coast. Situated on the east of Rock [House.]
OS1/19/18/54 Cove Hill Cove Hill Cove Hill Cove Hill Cove Hill Mr James Allan Johnshaven Mr Thomas Smith Johnshaven Mr Angus Logan Johnshaven 027.07 A Small conical mound on the Sea coast, said to be artificial and at one time used as a Signal Station. Human remains, surrounded with large Stone Slabs, were discovered a few years ago, at the west base of this mound; and the hill itself is supposed to be ancient.
OS1/19/18/54 North Sea or German Ocean North Sea or German Ocean Mr William Thompson Mr James Anderson Mr Walter Young 027.07 The name of the sea lying to the east of the Parish.
OS1/19/18/54 [Page] 54 Ph [Parish] of St Cyrus Co. [County] Kincardineshire
OS1/19/18/55 Dinnies Den Dannie's Den Dannie's Den Dannie's Den Dinnies Den James Adamson (Morphie) John Stephen (Commieston) Thomas Strachan (Lower Northwater Bridge) Alexander Lyell, Solicitor, Montrose 027.09 "A den quite close to the pillar Called Dannie's Den, which seems easily converted into Danish Den." (New Stat Act p.282) [New Statistical Account Page 282] A rugged ravine or Den on the Estate of Morphie , this name is well known. See Stone of Morphie.
OS1/19/18/55 [Page] 55 Parish of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/56 Mill of Morphie (Corn) Mill of Morphie Mill of Morphie Mill of Morphie Mill of Morphie Mill of Morphie Valuation Roll 1862-63 Voters' List Garden's Co [County] Map Peter Barclay (Tenant) John Stephens (Commieston) 027.09 A good Substantial Corn and Meal Mill, with farm buildings attached. Situated on the Estate of Morphie. Proprietor Barron Graham (Morphie). Motive power water.
OS1/19/18/56 Stone of Morphie Stone of Morphie Stone of Morphie Stone of Morphie Stone of Morphie Stone of Morphie Stone of Morphy Valuation oll 1862-63 Voter's List Garden's Co [County] Map John Stephens James Adamson (Morphie) New Stat Act [New Statistical Account] 027.09 A good Substantial Farm Steading with offices &c attached situated near the North Esk at the South side of the Estate of Morphie.
OS1/19/18/56 Commieston Commieston Commieston Commieston Commieston Commieston Comeston Valuation Roll 1862-63 Voter's List Garden's Co [County] Map John Stephens Tenant James Adamson New Stat. Act [New Statistical Account] 027.09 A good Substantial dwelling house and covered farm yard with offices attached the property of James Fitzmaurice Scott Esqr Langley Park, Montrose.
OS1/19/18/56 [Page]56 Parish of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/57 Warburton Warberton Warberton or Wardroperton Upper Warburton Warburton Wardroperton Warburton Warburton Wardroperisthour or Warburton Thomas Strachan (Lower Northwater Bridge) John Stephens (Tenant) Valuation Roll 1862-63 Garden's Co [County] Map (1774) New Stat Acct p. 282 [New Statistical Account page 282] J.F. Scott Esqr Proprietor Robertson's Survey of Kincardineshire Memorials of Angus & Mearns 027.10 A good substantial Farm Steading with offices &c all in good repair. Proprietor James Fitzmaurice Scott Esqr. Langley Park, Montrose. Mr Shepherd the tenant has resided here and neigbourhood all his life and he says that the proper name is Wardroperton, and that when he is Cited to appear on Jury or any legal case, he is always addressed as John Stephens of Wardroperton.
OS1/19/18/57 Nether Warburton Nether Warberton Nether Warberton or Nether Wardroperton Nether Warberton Nether Warburton Nether Warburton Thomas Stephen John Shepherd On carts Valuation Roll 1862-63 Voters List 027.10 A farm Steading in a very poor State of repair proprietor James Fitzmaurice Scott Esqr Langley Park, Montrose- Mr Stephens considers this name Should be Nether Wardroperton.
OS1/19/18/57 [Page] 57 Parish of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/57A 57a [Parish of St Cyrus] Bervie 13th November 1863 To James Fitzmaurice Scott Esqr Sir, I am engaged under the Command of Captain Courtney Royal Engineers Completing the Ordnance Survey of St Cyrus Parish, and as it is essential that the proper orthography of names should appear on the Ordnance Plans, will you be pleased to inform me what you consider to be the
OS1/19/18/57A [Letters referring to Wardroperton]
OS1/19/18/57B [page] 57b proper name and orthography for the house on the Estate of Commieston which is by Some people called, "Wardroperton," and by others it is called "Warburton." An early reply on opposite margin will much oblige. I am Sir, Your Obedient Servant Bewlay Render Corporal. R.E. [Royal Engineers}
OS1/19/18/57C 57c Langley Park Montrose Nov [November] 16th 1863 Corporal Render Wardroperton is the old original name but Warburton is the one by which it is now most generally known and which I should like imparted in the Ordnance Plans. I am &c &c James Fitzmaurice Scott Corpl [Corporal] Bewlay Render Royal Engineers Bervie
OS1/19/18/57D 57d Bervie 17th. Novr. [November] 1863 Sir, The accompanying information is for warded for your decision of the name in question. B Render Corp R.E. [Corporal, Royal Engineers] Captn [Captain] Courtney R E [Royal Engineers]
OS1/19/18/58 Scotston Scotston Scotston Scotston Scotston Valuation Roll 1862-63 Mr Thomas Strachan Mr John Stephens On Carts 027.10 A good Substantial Farm Steading the property pf G. J. Straton Esqr. Kirkside Tenant David Mitchell.
OS1/19/18/58 Kirkside Kirkside Kirkside Kirkside Valuation Roll 1862-63 Mr Thomas Strachan Mr John Stephens On Carts 027.10 A good substantial dwelling house with offices &c attached. Proprietor G.I. Strachan Esqr. Kirkside. Tenant D. Mitchell.
OS1/19/18/58 Kirkside Cottage Kirkside Cottage Kirkside Cottage Kirkside Cottage Mr Thomas Strachan Mr John Stephens Mr D. Mitchell 027.10 A small but very neat Cottage on the Estate of Kirkside. Property of G.I. Straton Esqr. Kirkside.
OS1/19/18/58 [Page] 58 Parish of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/59 The Sick Man's Shade The Sick Man's Shade Mr John Stephens (Commieston) 027.10 "The Danes on that event, (Battle of Panbride.) immediately retreated northward, and according to the tradition encountered the Scots near the Stone of Morphy, and that a battle had there taken place, is probable, from the immense number of Stone Coffins, Containing human bones which have been found in and near a field called the "Sick Man's Shade" close by the Stone." (New Stat. Act. ) [New Statistical Account] Mr Thomas Strachan Lower Northwater Bridge states that he has resided on and near the farm of Stone of Morphie 60 years and he never heard of any stone coffins or anything remarkable being found there, nor never heard of a field called the "Sick Man's Shade". Mr John Stephens States that he was born on the farm of Wardroperton where his ancestors resided for a long time, that he always understood by tradition that the field marked on trace was the place where the Danes encountered the Scots, he never saw any bones found but has heard it reported that they have been found Several years ago, and that when the road was made and the small bridge built near Pathhead a large quantity of bones were found there in an irregular heap, the
OS1/19/18/59 [Page] 59 Parish of St Cyrus
OS1/19/18/60 The Sick Man's Shade [Continued] the bones found were human, but there were not any Stone Coffins, nor Urns found, and he further states that he never heard of any Stone Coffins nor Urns being found near the Stone of Morphie, and that the field as marked is called "The Sick Man's Shade", it is on the Farm and near the farm house of Commieston which name is considered to be derived from Camus or a Son of Camus the Dane. See Stone of Morphie. This name is well known.
OS1/19/18/60 Pathhead Pathhead Pathhead Pathhead Mr J. Stephens Mr John Strachan Mr A. Neilson 027.10 Three Small Cottages on the farm of Commieston. Property of J. Fitzmaurice Scott Esqr. Langley Park, Montrose.
OS1/19/18/60 Wanton Walls Wanton Walls Wanton Walls Wanton Walls Mr J. Stephens Mr John Strachan Mr A. Neilson 027.10 A Crofter's residence on the farm of Commieston. Property of J. Fitzmaurice Scott Esqr Langley Park, Montrose.
OS1/19/18/60 Cocklem Bents Cocklem Bents Cocklem Bents Cocklem Bents Mr J. Stephens Mr John Strachan Mr A. Neilson 027.10 A name applied to the long narrow piece of grassy ground at the mouth of the River North Esk, between the High and Low Water Mark.
OS1/19/18/60 [Page] 60 [Parish of St Cyrus]
OS1/19/18/61 T.P. Lower NorthWater Bridge T.P. [Turn Pike] Lower North Water Bridge Bar Thomas Strachan (Lower North Water Bridge) John Stephens (Commieston) Table of Rates 027.13 A cottage where Toll is Collected at the T.P. [Turn Pike] which crosses the road at North side of Bridge.
OS1/19/18/61 Lower North Water Bridge Lower North Water Bridge See name Sheets of adjoining County. 027.13 Described on Name Sheets of Forfarshire.
OS1/19/18/61 River North Esk River North Esk See Name sheets of adjoining County. 027.13 Described on Name Sheets of Forfarshire.
OS1/19/18/61 Bleach Works Bleach Works (Flax) See Name Sheets of adjoining County 027.13 Described on Name Sheets of Forfarshire.
OS1/19/18/61 [Page] 61 Parish of St. Cyrus [Signed] E.H. Courtney, Capt. R.E. [Captain Royal Engineers] January 21 1864 T.P. [Turn Pike]
OS1/19/18/62 [Page 62] OS1/19/18 18 [Stamped 29 May 91 Southampton] NAME BOOK of the PARISH OF ST CYRUS Co. [County] KINCARDINESHIRE
OS1/19/18/63 Co [County] Kincardine Parish of St Cyrus Index Name -- Page Alma Lodge -- 40 Berryhillock -- 5 Berryhillock Belt -- 5 Biddrie -- 6 Brackenrigg -- 7 Biddrie Knaps -- 9 Bridgeton Hill -- 13 Brandshill -- 16 Bourtree Bush -- 19 Burnmouth -- 23 Bridgeton -- 25 Brandshill Wood -- 27 Backhill -- 29 Brown Hill of Morphie -- 32 Burnhead -- 40 Barrstripes -- 40 Burnbank -- 40 Brown Hill of Morphie -- 41 Burnside -- 41 Bleach Works (Flax) -- 61 Chapelfield Belt --6 Crombie's Pot --6 Chapelfield -- 11 Criggie --16 Canterland Lodge --29 Canterland -- 31 Camp/ Human Bones found here -- 33 Church -- 43 Church (Remains of) -- 43 Collie's row -- 46 Cove Hill -- 54 Commieston -- 56 Cocklem Bents -- 60 Den Belt -- 5 Den of Chapelfield -- 9 Denhead -- 15 Den of Lauriston -- 20 Den Finella Bridge -- 23 Den Finella -- 24 Den of Morphie Bridge -- 32 Den of Morphie -- 33 Davysland -- 41 Dannies Den -- 55 Ecclesgreig -- 18 Elsinore -- 19 East Mathers -- 26 Ecclesgreig Road -- 40 Free Church -- 43 Gaupieshaugh -- 15 Greystone -- 23 Gateside -- 25 Hill of Morphie -- 32 Hill of Morphie -- 42 Haughs of St. Cyrus -- 51 Jackston -- 11 Kirkside -- 58 Kirkside Cottage -- 58 Lauriston Plantation -- 5 Lower Brackenrigg -- 7 Lower Craighill -- 18 Lauriston Quarry -- 27 Lauriston Castle -- 22 Lillybank -- 25 Lochside -- 41 Long Row -- 46 Lower North Water Bridge -- 61 Maryland -- 7 Meadow Ward -- 9 Muirhead -- 14 Mill of Criggie (Corn) -- 15 Mains of Lauriston -- 21 Mains of Bridgeton -- 24 Morphie -- 31 Manse -- 45 Mercury Lone -- 46 Mercury Lone -- 46 Mercury Burn -- 46 Mill of Woodston (Corn) -- 47 Milton of Mathers -- 48 Mill of Mathers (Corn) -- 48 Mineral Well (Chalybeate) -- 49 Milton Ness -- 54 Mill of Morphie -- 56 Montrose & Bervie Railway -- 50 Newlands -- 8 Narrows -- 27 North Snadon -- 39 Nether Woodston -- 47 North Sea or German Ocean -- 54 Nether Warburton -- 57 Pitbeady -- 31 Post Office -- 48 Pathhead -- 60 Quarryford -- 19 Ryehills -- 26 Roadside -- 45 Rosefield -- 46 Rock Hall -- 54 River North Esk -- 61 St. Cyrus -- 1 St. Cyrus -- 3 Site of St. Laurences Chapel -- 10 Spittalmyre -- 14 Swirlie Den -- 14 School (Girls) -- 21 Site of Chapel -- 22 Shortside -- 23 Seagreens -- 26 Sillycoats -- 32 Site of Castle of Morphie -- 35 Stone of Morphie -- 36 South Snadon -- 39 Snadon Parks -- 39 Straton School -- 44 School -- 44 School -- 44 Sands of St. Cyrus -- 51 Site of Church -- 52 Stone of Morphie -- 56 Scotston -- 58 Taylorspark -- 17 Totterie -- 19 Tangleha' -- 48 The Kaim of Mathers -- 53 The Sick Man's Shade -- 59 T.P. [Turn Pike] -- 61 Upper Craighill -- 16 West Belt -- 6 Woodston Hill -- 17 Woodston -- 17 Whitehill -- 39 Wellgreen -- 40 West Mathers -- 47 Woodston Fishery -- 51 Woodston Burn -- 51 Warburton -- 57 Warburton -- 57 Wanton Walls -- 60
OS1/19/18/63 Dannies Den [has been corrected to] Dinnies Den [in the same hand and red ink as the correction on page 55.] In the main text Haughs of St Cyrus is consistently written Heughs of St Cyrus.