Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 126
Parish of Fetteresso

[continued from page 125]
wall and ditch, and having several gates with traverses in front of them. Upon examination, however,
by the author of this article, first in 1778, and frequently afterwards, - for it is still almost entire. - it was
found by him to be totally unlike those of the Romans in Scotland, which are universally rectangular, where
in this one there is not a Single right angle in its whole extent, which may amount to forty or fifty acres.
Besides this, the intrenchment is strongest towards the Sea, with several outworks on that Side, an evident
proof that they expected the enemy from that quarter. On an adjoining hill, called the Kempstone Hill
(Kemp, a fight.) were found not fewer than five or Six Druidical Circles, one of which contained three in a con-
centric form of a very large size, while all around especially towards the north, are scattered a vast number of [Cairns]
and tumuli, of different shapes and dimensions, Some of them being of great height and Circumference. At various
times also several heads of Spears of mixed brass, as almost all those in Scotland ascribed to the Romans are, and
other remains of arms and instruments, have been found in the contiguous grounds, Some of which were de-
posited, by the late Mr Barclay of Urie, in the Advocates' Library of Edinburgh. There was also discovered a few
years ago in the ditch of the Scottish Camp, a Small hoop or ring of iron of the rudest workmanship, and
much corroded, being about four inches in diameter, and very thick, which could be imagined useful
for no other purpose than to contain the axle of one of their war chariots. This last is preserved in the Mu-
seum of Marischal College. A drawing of this Scottish Camp, originally made by the author in 1778, (Intro-
duction to General Roy's work P. [Plate] IV.) was sent by him to the late General Melville, an eminent antiquary, and early
associate of General Roy, and another furnished Some years after by the Earl of Buchan was published by
Nicholas in the 36th number of his Topographia Britannica. There is also an engraving of it, though by
no means accurate, in General Roy's Military Antiquities (Plate 50). On the other hand, in order to identi-
fy the Situation of the Roman Camp in the plain below, among other relics of antiquity a pretty large Tumulus*
or Barrow [continued on page 127]
* "Site of Tumulus."
Plan 17-3 Trace 3

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Chr1smac -Moderator, Alison James- Moderator

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.