List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
School School (Endowed)
School (Endowed)
School (Endowed)
Mr James Stewart, Inspector of Poor
Mr Fraser Teacher
Lieut. Col. [Lieutenant Colonel] Ramsay, Banchory Lodge
006.09 A plain commodious building erected in 1856, and enlarged in 1862-3. Average number of scholars about 60. The government salary allowed for the parish is equally divided between the teachers of this school and the one on the estate of Tilquhillie. Originally the lands of the Hirn in this parish were mortified for the purpose of erecting an hospital for old men and women, but finding there would be little necessity for this, the funds were appropriated to the education of the young. Subsequently an agreement was made between the family of Leys and the Trustees of the mortification, in which, for a certain yearly sum, the latter relinquished their right to the lands, in favour of the former. Subject to this agreement, the sum of £36 annually is paid to the teachers of this, and Lady Burnett's School.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 130
Parish of Banchory Ternan

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.


  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.