List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
TEAMPULL NA TRIONAID (Ruins of) Grave Yard Teampull na Trionaid 'Ruins of' Grave Yard Mr John maclean late Schoolmaster Carinish
A. A. Carmichael Esq
Capt. Thomas R. N. in Notices of Three Churches in North Uist, Benbecula and Grimsay
039 This name means The Trinity Church and is applied to an ancient building situated in the district of Carinish the walls of it stand about 15 feet high except at the east end which is broken down nearly to the ground inside it is full of Graves and a railed tomb a grave yard is also adjacent and on the south side which is full of graves
- "We read in the Origines Parochiales that in 1389 Godfrey of the Lord of Uyst [sic] confirmed to the monks of Inchaffray the Chapel of the Holy Trinity (at Karynch) in Uyst as granted them by Christina the daughter of Alan the true, heiress and Reginald called McRoury the true, lord and patron about 1390 the Chapel of Carinish was probably rebuilt or repaired by Annie McRuari who is traditionally reputed its founder and its ruins are locally known as Teampull na Trionaide (The Trinity Church) "Vide" Notes by F. W. L. Thomas Capt. R. N. F. S. S. Scot

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 97
Parish of North Uist -- County of Inverness

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Colin Macca

  Location information for this page.