List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Isles na Monich
Mr A. McDonald, Teacher, Heisker, North Uist, by Lochmaddy
Mr A. McAulay, Heisker, North Uist By Lochmaddy
Admiralty Chart Johnston's Map
Black's Map
Ainslie's Map 1745
037 ; 038 ; 042 ; 043 This name applies to a group of small islands, six in number, distant in a westerly direction from North Uist, about six miles, Their total area is about 800 acres, one fourth of which is good pasture or under cultivation, the remainder being a sort of rough grass commonly called "Bent". The principal object of interest in these islets is the lighthouse which is situated on one of the westerly of this group called Shillay. This building was erected in the Year 1863 , and lighted for the first time on the 1st of February 1864. Since then, it has doubtless been the means of saving many lives, and property, as shipwrecks were of frequent occurrence previous to its erection and in most cases attendee with great loss of life the place of internment of some of these unfortunate mariners is to be seen on two or three parts of these islands. There is a school maintained by a society of the ladies of Edinburgh, where the ordinary branches of English education are taught. There are 19 families which amount in population to 130. Sir John Orde proprietor.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 106
County of Inverness -- Monach Isles

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Colin Macca

  Location information for this page.