List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
FORT AUGUSTUS [fort] Fort Augustus Mr Petrie Factor Beauly.
Mr McLeod, postmaster
Rev. [Reverend] John McDonald. St Peter's Chapel
068 Fort Augustus is situated in a pleasant opening in the hills at the South Western extremity of Loch Ness. Between them mouth of the river Oich and a small mountain stream called the Tarff. It was erected in 1730 to overawe some of the highland clans who were inclined to disturb the peace of the country, with a view to restore the exiled family of Stuart. The fort is of a square form with four bastions, mounting twelve six pounders. It is defended by a ditch covered way and glacis, and has accommodation for 300 men - the barracks having been constructed for one field officer, four captains, twelve subalterns and 280 rank and file.It was taken in 1746 by the troop of Prince Charlie, and after the Battle of Culloden, it served for a time, as headquarters for the Duke of Cumber land. It is still kept in repair, but having become useless, the ordnance was sent to Fort George, by order of the government. See guide to Inverness.
A few years ago, it was purchased by Lord Lovat from the government, and is now used as a private dwelling, and rented by work people & it bears the date 1738 on one of the leaden spouts attached to the house forming the chief entrance.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 115
County of Inverness -- Parish of Boleskine & Abertarff

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.