List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Site of Battle Supposed Between Picts and Scots (Continued) [continued from page 41]
"mile from Lochee, and rather more than half a mile N.E. [North East] of Camperdown. At the side of a gate which opens into it, there is a rude coat of arms consisting of three piles, the points meeting in base, with the initials F.W. and the date 1601. These are the arms of Wishart, but how they came there no one can tell."
"The only battle fought in this neighbourhood, of which any account is to be met with, occurred in 831, between the Scots & Picts. An incident decided or mainly contributed to decide the day in favor of the Picts. During the conflict, Brude, King of the Picts, caused all the attendant women in his camp to put themselves in array, and as a fresh reinforcement make a show of attacking the Scots."
At the time the armies joined in battle, Alpin was looking on from the Castle on the Law, and observing one of his wings begin to give way he sallied out with the Garrison and his attendants to support it and gave the fresh charge, which proved fatal to him".
"At the east side of Lord Camperdown's fields of Dryburgh, there is a large tumulus, with a considerable sized stone upon its summit called the "King's Cross", which stone is traditionally believed to have supported the Royal standard."

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 42

[Page signed]
John W Rider
Sapper R.E. [Royal Engineers]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, Alice Bremner

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.