List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CROSS CHURCH St. John's or Cross Church

Cross Church
Revd. [Reverend] P. Grant Minister
Dundee Directory 1856-7
Thomson's Histy. [History] of Dundee 1847
Mr. W. B. Baxter Town Chamberlain.
"Account of the Revenue expenditure of the Town of Dundee Kirk Fabric & St. Davids Church & of the Trustees for Creditors of the Town of Dundee 1st. Octr. [October] to 5th. Apr. [April] 1855 & 1856. Printed by Authority"
054 [Situation] On the east side of South Tay Street.
A small & plainly built Church erected in 1839 having sittings for 872 persons 347 of which are at present rented & the remainder unlet. There are no Free Seats. The number of Communicants is 962 & the salary of the Minister 105£ per annum is paid by the Corporation out of the funds of the Town of Dundee. There is a day school for boys and girls in Connection with this Church situated at Hawkhill (Vide Description)
This Church is locally known as St. John's or Cross Church but such appellation appears to be somewhat ambiguously applied as the building here referred to was erected as above stated in 1839 for and used as a Gaelic Church & was known by no other name than "The Gaelic Church" until after the destruction by fire in 1841 of the Church of the Blessed Virgin upon which event one of the four Congregations previously accomodated in the latter building rented the said Gaelic Church and it was
[continued on page 60]

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 59
Town of Dundee -- Sheet 54.9 No. 4 Trace 4

Seats for 872

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, Iain496

  Location information for this page.