Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/14/13/2

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CARESTON (Continued) [continued from page 1]
parish was not obtained until the year 1641. It is the least of any parish in Angus-Shire, both as regards extent & population, and the fifth in the Kingdom".
Land of the Lindsays
It is bounded on the North by the parish of Menmuir; on the West by the parishes of Fearn & Tannadice; on the South by the parish of Aberlemno; and on the East by the parish of Brechin. The River South Esk touches on the south and forms its boundary for a short distance. The Noran Water (a small river) falls into the South Esk in the parish. The only Antiquities in the parish are Careston Castle (which is habitable but unoccupied at present) Fuirdstone Castle (site of) and the Tumulus or Law already referred to. The principal Proprietor is the Right Honble. [Honourable] the Earl of Fife.

There is no portion of this parish detached nor is there any portion of any other parish contained within the boundary of this parish.

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 2

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, Alice Bremner

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.