Continued entries/extra info

7A Parish of Pittenweem.


"The Priory of Pittenweem was founded for Canons-regular who were first introduced into Scotland about the year 1114. It belonged to the Priory of St. Andrews and had considerable landed property the isle of May belonged to it besides the Churches of Anstruther Wester, Rhind and others. John Rowle Prior of Pittenweem was one of the Lords of Session. His name first appears in the Sederunt book 5th November 1544. In March 1542 he had been of one of the lords for discussing of domes and in March 1544 he appears as one of the Lords of the Articles. In 1550 he accompanied the Regent Murray to France and died in 1553. In 1583 William Stewart a Captain in King's guard descended from Alan Stewart of Darnley, obtained a charter of the priory and lands of Pittenweem and was afterwards styled commendator of the same. In 1806 [See Transcribers Note] the lands and baronies belonging to the priory were erected into a temporal lordship in favour of Frederick Stewart his son who had farther charters in 1609 and 1618. He died as is supposed without issue and the title has never since been claimed. Previous to his death he disponed the lordship to Thomas Earl of Kellie who with consent of his son Alexander Lord Fenton surrendered the superiority of the same into the hands of the King. A considerable portion of the buildings of the Priory is still standing and inhabitted. The Priors house is now the property, and the residence of the Right Revd. [Reverend] David Low L.L.D [Doctor of Laws] Bishop of the Scottish Episcopal United Diocese of Ross and Argyle. The walls of the precincts are still entire and with the other buildings serve to indicate the original extent of the Priory and its domains.
New Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] of Fife page 985.

Transcriber's notes

The year 1806, although stated in the original Statistical Account is clearly a misprint for 1606.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.


  There are no linked mapsheets.