Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Fife and Kinross-shire volume 128

Page List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks Continued entries/extra info Transcriber's notes
OS1/13/128/1 [Page] 1 Parish of Dunfermline 35a [Names of Objects] -- Pages Black Loch -- 11 Balmule Pit (Coal) -- 14 Balmule -- 14 Balmule Farm -- 15 Blamule -- 16 Bowershall -- 16 Balmule Quarry (Whinstone) -- 17 Backmuir -- 32 Baldridge House -- 33 Baldridge Pit (Coal) -- 34 Blackburn -- 34 Baldridge Burn -- 36 Brick Work -- 51 Back Muir -- 7 Cobscroft Quarry (limestone) -- 2 Cowdens -- 3 Cowdens Quarry (limestone) -- 4 Craigbeath -- 12 Craigluscar Hill -- 25 Chapel Stane -- 25 Craigluscar -- 27 Clearwater basin -- 28 Colliery Office -- 31 Cairncubie -- 38 Colton Mains -- 40 Colton House -- 4 Chamberfield -- 45 Craigwell Quarry (Whinstone) -- 50 Craig Well -- 50 Drumfod -- 3 Dunduff -- 7 Dunduff School -- 10 Drumtuthil -- 26 Dunfermline Water Company Compensation Reservoir -- 26 Dunfermline Water Company's Reservoir -- 28 Distributing Reservoir -- 42 Dunfermline -- 1
OS1/13/128/1A page 1a [index page continued] East Hill 11 Easter Craigduckie 21 Elgin Colliery 35 Elgin Railway 35 Easter Colton 41 Fernieknowe Pit (Coal) 32 Forester's Cottage (Post Office) 50 Gask Burn 20 Gateside 40 Grantsbank Check T[oll[ B[ar] 42 Hillhead 12 Highholm 23 Highholm Moss 24 Hunters Pit (Coal) 29 Hawkiesfauld 39 Janefield 46 Killabone 20 Kirkcaldy Row 34 Kingseat Hill 52 Kingseathill 52 Linn Quarry (Limestone) Linn Bridge Co[mpany] Linn Linn Burn Loanhead Lochend T[oll] B[ar] Lothalmond Hill Lothalmond Limeworks Lochend Quarry Lochhead Lochend Loch Fitty Leadside Lilliehill Lochbank Meldrum Mill (Corn) Meldrums Mill Burn Muirside North Bellycoman Outh & Nivingston Trust (No. 3) Old Lathalmond Outh & Nivingston Trust (No. 4) Ochre Mine
OS1/13/128/1A On this page all Objects from Linn Quarry onwards have no page numbers showing.
OS1/13/128/1B page 1b [index page continued] Old Craigluscar 27 Outh & Nivingston Trust (No.1) 44 Old Fountain Head 47 Old Reservoir 49 Pyat Knowe 8 Ptrick's Walls 14 Parkmook 31 Raspberry Brae 28 Swallowdrum 31 Stirling & Dunfermline Railway 6 The Comland 12 The Lowricks 13 Tom Pit 30 Townhill Wood 48 Town Hill 48 Townhill 49 Townhill Colliery 51 Town Loch 53 The Lead 53 Targate Road 37 Upper Rosebank 29 Venturefair Viaduct 45 Venturefair 46 Whinnybrae Plantation 15 Wank Mill 19 Wester Crtaigduckie 21 West Hill 27 Wallsend Pit 30 West Baldridge 33 Wellwood Colliery 43 The P[aris]h of Dunfermline 1
OS1/13/128/1C page 1c Dunfermline. [Authorities] Full[arton's] Gazetteer, New Stat[istical] Acc[oun]t, Old Stat[istical] Acc[oun]t, Johnston's Co[unty] Map, Scottish Directory, Sgeriff's Parish List of [/?] [Situation] Near the Western extremity of Fifeshire. [Descriptive Remarks] A parish, the largest in the county of Fife. The extreme length from north to south is about 8 miles, and average breadth about 3 ½ miles. It is bounded by the parishes of Cleish and Saline on the north, of Carnock & Torryburn on the west, and of Beath, Aberdour, Dalgety and Innekeithing on the east. It has Inverkeithing also on the Southeast, and the Firth of Forth on the S[outh] West. The parish generally throughout is well diversified with enclosed fields and plantations. Besides the Royal burgh of Dunfermline there are several small villages in the vicinity of the former, the ruins of the Abbey and several minor Antiquities, all of which see their respective descriptions in the adjoining sheets. Are there any Detached portions of the Parish. Are there any Detached paortions of any other parish situated and lying within the extreme boundary of Dunfermline? If so state their number and position on this Description. A.M. Remarks similar to the above were made on Several parishes in Haddington Edinburgh etc but no satisfactory reply can be obtained from the commentary -- See reply ro remark No.1 on Plan 35A. A.M.O. 15th March 1854. See over.
OS1/13/128/1D page 1d In December 1855 the seven sheet of the 5 foot Plan Dunfermline (Impressions) were sent to Dr Henderson by Capt[ain] Bayly -- and on the margin of Sheet 4 Dr H[enderson] writes "I have written down 'Aqua de Ferm' on the course of the water called the Town Burn -- in 1293 & 1455 it is distinctly named 'Aqua de Ferm' or water of Ferm -- the 'Ferm' of Dunfermline is undoubtedly taken from this Ferm Water, in 1540 it was called "the Tower Burn". And in a note in Pencil on the Sheet a little South of Malcolm Canmore's Tower he writes "Dun -- the hil ferm -- name of the water linn -- the waterfall" giving this as the derivation of the name of the Parish Dun ferm line Dr H[enderson] gives the names and the sites of several Antiquities not on the manuscript plans, and in pencil writes "the above names and sites are taken from Carte de Dunfermline "The Monkes bake with ye tree brods' and do. bake with ye wyte parchment covering" O.M.O 26th Dec[embe]r 1855
OS1/13/128/1E Linn Quarry (Limestone) Linn Quarry. Linn Quarry. A. Nimmo, overseer J. Nimmo. 035 A large limestone quarry on the land of R. Dalgleish of Dunny Gask at present let on lease to and wrought by the Forth Iron Co [Company].
OS1/13/128/1E Linn Bridge Linn Bridge Linn Bridge Alexander Brown A. Nimmo. 035 A small county bridge over a stream a little west of Red Craig Toll Bar on the road from Dunfermline to Kinross.
OS1/13/128/1E page 1e Plan 35A Co[unty] Fife Trace 1 Parish of Dunfermline Linn Quarry. Near the NW [North West] Corner of Plan. Linn Bridge.Crossing Outh & Nivingston District Trust near Linn Quarry.
OS1/13/128/2 COBSCROFT QUARRY (Limestone) Cobscroft Quarry A. Nimmo J. Nimmo 035 A limestone quarry a few chains S. of the ruins of Cobscroft farm steading on the estate of Craigluscar. the quarry is leased and wrought by the British Iron Co [Company]. N.B. This quarry is at present being considerably extended & altered.
OS1/13/128/2 LINN Linn Linn Linn Alexander Brown A. Nimmo Road Map Co[unty] Map 1841 035 A small farm house & offices the property of R. Dalgleish occupied by Alexander Brown
OS1/13/128/2 page 2 Cobscroft Quarry. ¼ Mile East of Linn farm house.
OS1/13/128/3 COWDENS Cowdens Cowdens Cowdens Cowdens J. Weir A. Nimmo Leightons Hist [History] of Fife Co [County] Map 1841 035 A small farm house and offices on the estate of Craigluscar occupied by John Weir.
OS1/13/128/3 DRUMFOD Drumfod Drumfod Drumfod A. Nimmo J. Nimmo Miss Burnett 035 A small farm house and offices on the estate of Craigluscar occupd [occupied] by James Burnett.
OS1/13/128/3 page 3 Plan 35A Co[unty] Fife Trace 1 Parish of Dunfermline Drumfod. About 1 mile NW [North West] by W West] of Dunduff farm house. Drum - Fad or Fada Long Rhumb - Long Eminence. Cowdens. ¼ Mile W [West] of Dunduff farm.
OS1/13/128/4 COWDENS QUARRY (Limestone) Cowdens Quarry Cowdens Quarry George Phelp Adam Nimmo 035 A limestone quarry on the farm of Cowdens which has not been wrought for the last three years.
OS1/13/128/4 LINN BURN Linn Burn Adam Nimmo D. Hutchinson 035 A stream rising in Dun Moss and running under Linn Bridge. It retains this name until its confluence with Meldrums Mill Burn on the lands of Balmule see Trace 3.
OS1/13/128/4 page 4 Cowdens Quarry. 10 Chains NW [North West] of Dunduff. Linn Burn. Running SE [South Easterly] past Dunduff.
OS1/13/128/5 OUTH AND NIVINGSTON DISTRICT TRUST (No 3) Outh & Nivingston Trust No. 3 Mr Tuckett, Road Surveyor Mr McDonald, Deputy Clerk to the Trust 035 Under the designation Outh & Nivingston District turnpike roads are comprehended sever[al] portions of highways upon which Toll Bars are placed under an Act of Parliament. The whole are clearly defined in a Map & Schedule in the possession of the Road Surveyor. The road upon 35A under this Trust is part of that from Saline by Tinny Gask, Roscobie & Oaklfield to the Great North Road and is No. 3 of this District.
OS1/13/128/5 page 5 Trace No. 1 35A. Outh & Nivingston Trust No. 3. Passing a little N [North] of Linn farm ho [house].
OS1/13/128/6 STIRLING AND DUNFERMLINE RAILWAY Stirling and Dunfermline Railway Stirling and Dunfermline Railway Stirling and Dunfermline Railway Railway Clerk Mr Galloway Rev [Reverend] Mr Chalmers William Hunt Esq. Printed Advertisements 035 A double line of Railway extending from Stirling to Dunfermline here it joins the Dunfermline branch of the Edinburgh, Perth & Dundee. It belongs to the Stirling & Dunfermline Company who has it let for a term of years to the Edinburgh & Glasgow Railway Company. It is for Passenger and general Traffic and has no Telegraph yet laid down. NS.
OS1/13/128/6 page 6 Parish of Dunfermline Stirling & Dunfermline Railway. Passing a short distance South of Inverkeithing.
OS1/13/128/7 DUNDUFF Dunduff Dunduff Dunduff Dunduff New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account Thomas Colville, Dunduff George Manson (Dunduff School) Valn [Valuation] Roll 1848 A small dwelling house and office including a Thrashing Machine and a small estate attached occupier and proprietor Thomas Colville Esq.
OS1/13/128/7 LOANHEAD Loanhead Loanhead Loanhead Thomas Colville (Dunduff) John Wier (Cowdens) George Manson A neat Cottage on Dunduff estate erected by the former proprietor for a member of his family. At present it is occupied by one of Mr Colville's Hands.
OS1/13/128/7 page 7 Plan 35A Trace No.2 Parish of Dunfermline Back Muir. See Name Book of plan 34D for authorities and description. Loanhead. About 20 Chains NNW [North North West] of Dunduff. Dunduff. About 1/4 Mile East of Cowdens.
OS1/13/128/8 LOCHEND T.P. Lochend T [Toll] B [Bar] Lochend T [Toll] B [Bar] Lochend T [Toll] B [Bar] George Manson Sign Board Thomas Colville (Dunduff) 035 A Keeperhouse one story in he [height] and in good repair with a T [Toll] Gate attached, the property of the Road Trustees.
OS1/13/128/8 PYAT KNOWE Pyat Knowe Pyat Knowe Pyat Knowe Thomas Colville, Dunduff John Wier (Cowdens) Jamiesons Scottish Dictionary 035 A small planted knoll on the estate of Dunduff the favourite resort of Magpies commonly termed Pyats.
OS1/13/128/8 page 8 Plan 35A Trace No. 2 Parish of Dunfermline Lochend Toll Bar. On the Outh and Nivingstone District Trust. Pyat Knowe. 4 Chains South of Dunduff.
OS1/13/128/9 LATHALMOND HILL Lathalmond Hill Lathalmond Hill James Nimmo (Old Lathalmond) John Kerr (Cowdens) 035 A tolerably sized hill on the fair of Lathalmond the surface of which is rocky pasture, on its summit is a Trigl [Trigonometrical] Station.
OS1/13/128/9 OLD LATHALMOND Old Lathalmond Old Lathalmond John Nimmo John Kerr Co [County] Map 1841 035 An old dwelling house and offices with a small croft attached occupier John Nimmo and proprietor Adam Rolland of Gask. This was the old farm house of Lathalmond, preious to the new one having been erected consequently the name.
OS1/13/128/9 page 9 Plan 35A Trace No.2 Parish of Dunfermline For the orthography of Lathalmond see New Statistical Account. Lathalmond Hill. About 3/8 Mile NE [North East] of Dunduff. Old Lathalmond. About 3/8 Mile NE [North East] by E [East] of Dunduff.
OS1/13/128/10 DUNDUFF SCHOOL Dunduff School Dunduff School John Nimmo George Manson (Teacher) 035 A tolerably good house erected by voluntary contribution in which are taught the elements of an ordinary English education by George Manson (teacher) whose salary consists chiefly of the scholars fees. On an average there are only about 25 Attending Daily throughout the year.
OS1/13/128/10 LATHALMOND LIMEWORKS Lathalmond Limeworks Lathalmond Limeworks John Nimmo, Old Lathalmond John Kerr (Cowdens) 035 A large Limestone Quarry and LimeKilns on the farm of Lathalmond the property of Adam Rolland Esq of Gask. They are at present disused.
OS1/13/128/10 page 10 Plan 35A Trace 2 Parish of Dunfermline Dunduff. for this spelling see New Statistical Account 1845. Lathalmond Limeworks. About ½ Mile NE [North East] by E [East] of Dunduff. Dunduff School. About 3/8 Mile SE [South East] of Dunduff.
OS1/13/128/11 BLACK LOCH Black Loch Black Loch Black Loch George Manson (Dunduff School) George Stewart (Hillhead) New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account 1845 035 A small Loch on the farm of Hillhead quite descriptive of its name, recently a cutting has been made to convey the water from it to Dunfermline Water Company's Reservoir.
OS1/13/128/11 EAST HILL East Hill East Hill George Stewart William Stewart (Hillhead) 035 A tolerably large hill on the farm of Hillhead, the surface of which is Rocky arable. On its summit is a Trigl [Trigonometrical] Station and on the west side is a steep rocky precipice partly covered with Whins.
OS1/13/128/11 page 11 Black Loch. 25 Chains SSE [South South East] of Dunduff. East Hill. ½ Mile South of Dunduff.
OS1/13/128/12 CRAIGBEATH Craigbeath Craigbeath Craigbeath Alexander Hardie (Lochend) George Stewart (Hillhead) John Kerr (Cowdens) 035 A tolerably rocky step Bank at present covered with wood on the farm of Lochend.
OS1/13/128/12 HILLHEAD Hillhead Hillhead Hilllhead Hillhead George Stewart William Stewart, occupiers Valn [Valuation] Roll 1848 Co [County] Map 1841 035 A tolerably good farm house and offices with a farm of land attached, chiefly pasture, the property of George Robertson Barclay Esqr of Keavil occupier George Stewart.
OS1/13/128/12 THE CROMLANS The Cromlans The Cromlans The Cromlans Alexander Hardie George Stewart Mr Bruce, Dunfermline 035 A pretty large Knoll partly arable and partly Rocky pasture covered with Furze on the farm of Lochend.
OS1/13/128/12 page 12 Plan 35A Trace no.2 Parish of Dunfermline Hillhead. About 3/8 Mile SSW [South South West] of Dunduff. Craigbeath. About ½ SW [South West] of Dunduff. The Cromlans. ½ Mile SW [South West] of Dunduff.
OS1/13/128/13 LOCHEND QUARRY (Whinstone) Lochend Quarry Lochend Quarry Lochend Quarry Alexander Hardie (Lochend) John Kerr, Cowdens Mr Douglas (Lochhead) 035 A large Whinstone Quarry on the farm of Lochend from which the road Trustees have the privilege of taking metal for the roads in the neighbourhood.
OS1/13/128/13 LOCHHEAD Lockhead Lochhead Lochhead Wester Lochhead Wester Lochend New Stat [Statistocal] Acct [Account] Mr Douglas, proprietor George Stewart, Hillhead Valn[Valuation] Roll 1848 Title Deeds 035 A pretty good mansion house and out offices, including a Thrashing Machine, and a farm, of land attached in the occupancy of the proprietor Mr J. Douglas.
OS1/13/128/13 THE LOWRICKS The Lowricks The Lowricks Mr Douglas (Dunfermline) George Stewart 035 Two Rocky pasture Knolls on the farm of Lochhead.
OS1/13/128/13 page 13 Plan 35A Trace No.2 Parish of Dunfermline Lochend Quarry. ¾ Mile SW [South West] of Dunduff. Lochhead. ¾ Mile SW [South West] of Dunduff. The Lowricks. About ½ Mile South of Dunduff.
OS1/13/128/14 BALMULE [row of houses] Balmule Balmule Balmule Patrick's Walls Patrick's Walls Patrick's Walls Patrick's Walls PeatWells Mr Grier (Manager of the Elgin Colliery) Alexander Hunter, Balmule Alexander Campbell, Balmule Mr Douglas, proprietor Title Deeds Valn [Valuation] Roll 1848 Mr Pearson, Dunfermline Co [County] Map 035 A row of Colliers houses on the estate of Lochhead belonging to the Earl of Elgin's Colliery, proprietor of the soil on which they are erected Mr Douglas Lochhead. The three first authorities call these houses "Balmule", and the four following including the proprietor and the Title Deeds "Patrick's Walls", which appears is the proper name and Co [County] Map "Peatwells".
OS1/13/128/14 BALMULE PIT Balmule Pit (Coal) Balmule Pit (Coal) Balmule Pit (Coal) Mr Grice (Manager of Colliery) Alexander Hunter (Patrick's Walls) Mr Douglas (Lochhead) 035 An excellent Coal Pit on the estate of Lockhead and belonging to Elgin Colliery.
OS1/13/128/14 PATRICK'S WALLS 035
OS1/13/128/14 page 14 Plan 35A Trace No.2 Parish of Dunfermline Balmule Pit. About 1 Mile S [South] of Dunduff. Balmule. About 1 Mile S [South] of Dunduff.
OS1/13/128/14 Details for Patrick's Walls are given under Balmule.
OS1/13/128/15 BALMULE FARM Balmule Farm D. Hutchinson T. Bennett, occupier 035 A farm house occupied by a Cotman, the land is annexed to the lordship of Balmule & occupied by the proprietor Mr J. Alexander.
OS1/13/128/15 WHINNYBRAE PLANTATION Whinnybrae Plantation J. Addison D. Hutchinson 035 A large plantation of mixed wood on the estate of Mr J. Alexander of Balmule.
OS1/13/128/15 page 15 Plan 35A Co[unty] Fife Trace 3 Parish of Dunfermline Whinnybrae Plantation. About 5/8 Mile E [East] of Dunduff. Balmule Farm. 1 Mile East of Dunduff.
OS1/13/128/16 BALMULE [house] Balmule Balmule Balmule Balmule Balmule D. Hutchinson William Bisset Lightons Hist [History] of Fife New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account Voters Roll 035 A genteel residence with Offices, good garden and a small estate of land attached the residence & property of Mr J. Alexander
OS1/13/128/16 BOWERSHALL Bowershall J. Stronach T. Addison George Manson, Schoolmaster John Irving, Bowershall John Addison, Bowershall John Thring, Bowershall 035 A hamlet on the lands of Balmule containing a few Agricultural labour [labourers] and Mechanics.
OS1/13/128/16 page 16 Balmule. About 1/8 Mile E [East] of Dunduff. Bowershall. 3/8 Mile East of Lochend.
OS1/13/128/17 BALMULE QUARRY (Whinstone) Balmule Quarry R. Mechie D. Hutchinson 035 A small whinstone quarry on the estate of Balmule from which road metal has been taken at different times.
OS1/13/128/17 LOCHEND Lochend Lochend Lochend Lochend J. Addison Misses Purvis Map of Co [County] Mr Bruce, Dunfermline 035 A cottage residence on the lands of Lochend with a farm steading & Offices attached occupied by the Misses Purvis and the property of the representatives of the late Robert Preston.
OS1/13/128/17 page 17 Plan 35A Co of Fife Trace 3 Parish of Dunfermline Balmule Quarry. 7/8 Mile NE [North East] by E [East] of Lochend. Lochend. ¾ Mile SW [South West] of Dunduff.
OS1/13/128/18 MELDRUM'S MILL (Corn) Meldrum's Mill Meldrum's Mill Meldrum's Mill Meldrum Mill Meldrum Mill William Bisset, Miller R. Mechie New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] Co [County] Map 1841 Road Map 035 Premises consisting of a Corn Mill, Miller's House farm steading and dwell [dwelling] house for workmen occup [occupied] by William Bisset and the property of the Misses Walker of Piltair. This place with a portion of land was formerly a small lordship [that] belonged to a person named "Meldrum" but was sold to W. Walker Esq WS [Writer to the Signet].
OS1/13/128/18 p. 18 Meldrum's Mill. About ½ Mile NE [North East] of Lochend.
OS1/13/128/19 OUTH AND NIVINGSTON DISTRICT TRUST (No 4) Outh & Nivingston Trust No.4 Mr Tuckett, Road Surveyor Mr McDonald, Deputy Clerk to the Trust 035 Under the designation Outh and Nivingston Trust Turnpike roads are comprehended several portions of highway upon which Toll Bars are placed under an Act of Parliament. The hole are clearly defined in a Map & Schedule in the possession of the Road Surveyor. The road upon 35A under this Trust is part of that between Lochend Toll Bar by Balmule, the Gask Toll Bar, Nivingstone Carsegower Bridge to the confines of the parish of Fossaway on the road leading to Tulliebole & is No. 4 of this District.
OS1/13/128/19 WAUK MILL Wauk Mill Wauk Mill Wauk Mill William Bisset R. Mechie J. Addison, Bowershall John Irving, Bowershall George Manson, Schoolmaster 035 A large building on the testate of Balmule formerly occupied as a wauk mill, it now contains the machinery of a threshing mill and is used by the proprietor as such. The water driving Meldrum's Mill passes thro [through[ it.
OS1/13/128/19 page 19 Plan 35A Co Fife Trace 3 Parish of Dunfermline Wauk Mill. About 3/8 Mile NE [North East] of Lochend. Outh & Nivingston Trust No.4. Passing the W [West] side of Balmule Farm.
OS1/13/128/20 GASK BURN Gask Burn Gask Burn Gask Burn J. Addison, Lochend T [Toll] B [Bar] John Nimmo, Old Lathalmond John Irving, Bowershall 035 A small stream rising on the [--] of Deanhead and running in a sou [southerly] direction through the estate of Gask empties itself into Meldrums Mill Burn on the West side of Whinnybrae Plantation.
OS1/13/128/20 KILLIEBONE Killabone Killiebone Killiebone J. Strachan R. Mechie Co [County] Map 1841 Raod Map 035 A row of small dwelling Houses on the estate of D. Curror Esq of Wester Craigduckie.
OS1/13/128/20 page 20. Killiebone. ¾ Mile East of Lochend. Gask Burn. Running Southerly past Whinnybrae Plantation.
OS1/13/128/21 EASTER CRAIGDUCKIE Easter Craigduckie Easter Craigduckie Easter Craigduckie Easter Craigduckie Easter Craigduckie Henry Flockhart (Farmer) Alexander Kilgour Valn [Valuation] Roll 1848 Mr Steedman 9Post Office) Leightons Hist [History] of Fifeshire 035 A good house and offices including a Thrashing Machine, which is situated in the NW [North West] corner of the farm yard, and and a small estate attached, occupier and proprietor Henry Flockhart Esq.
OS1/13/128/21 WESTER CRAIGDUCKIE Wester Craigduckie Wester Craigduckie Wester Craigduckie Craigduckie Wester Craigduckie Wester Craigduckie Wester Craigduckie Henry Flockhart (Wester Craigduckie) Alexander Kilgour (Dunfermline Town Clerk) New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] Road Map Co [County] Map 1841 Voters List 035 A good farm house and offices with arable farm attached, proprietor and occupier Robert Curror WS [Writer to the Signet] Edinburgh
OS1/13/128/21 page 21 Plan 35A Trace No.4 Parish of Dunfermline Wester Craigduckie. About 7/8 Mile NE [North East] of Cairncubie. Easter Craigduckie. About 7/8 Mile NE [North East] of Cairncubie.
OS1/13/128/22 LOCH FITTY Loch Fitty Loch Fitty Lochfitty Henry Flockhart Alexander Kilgour New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] 1844 Co [County] Map 1841 035 A middling sized Loch in the northern confines of Dunfermline Parish. It contains Perch, Trout and Freshwater Muscles. The land on each end of this Loch is very level consequently in winter is liable to be inundations particularly the west end which in summer becomes a large marsh or swamp.
OS1/13/128/22 OCHRE MINE Ochre Mine Ochre Mine Henry Flockhart Alexander Kilgour 035 A small ochre mine on the farm of Easter Craigduckie. It is of a good description but at present it is not worked.
OS1/13/128/22 page 22 Plan 35A Trace No.4 Parish of Dunfermline Ochre Mine. About 1/8 Mile NE [North East] of Cairncubie. Loch Fitty. About 1 Mile NE [North East] of Cairncubie.
OS1/13/128/23 HIGHHOLM Highholm Highholm North Highholm Highhulm Highhulm Alexander Kilgour David Howison (Farmer) Valn [Valuation] Roll 1848 Co [County] Map 1841 Road Map 035 A pretty good dwelling house and offices including a Thrashing Machine and a farm of land attached occupier David Howison and the property of the Town of Dunfermline. Mr Kilgour Town Clerk states that as South and North Highholms are let to one person it would be as well to call this one simply Highholm.
OS1/13/128/23 MELDRUM'S MILL BURN Meldrums Mill Burn Meldrums Mill Burn Alexander Kilgour (Dunfermline Town Clerk) David Howison 035 A tolerably sized Burn or Stream the continuation of Linn and Gask Burns, and flowing in an easterly direction by Meldrums Mill from which it receives the name, and empties into Loch Fitty.
OS1/13/128/23 page 23 Plan 35A Trace No.4 Parish of Dunfermline Meldrums Mill Burn. About 5/8 Mile N [North] of Cairncubie. Highholm. About ¾ Mile NE [North East] of Cairncubie.
OS1/13/128/24 HIGHHOLM MOSS Highholm Moss Highholm Moss Highholm Moss Mr A. Kilgour (Town Clerk) David Howison (High holm) David Wilson (Town hill) 035 A small tract of moss land on the farm of High holm hence the name.
OS1/13/128/24 page 24 Plan 35A Trace No.4 Parish of Dunfermline Highholm Moss. About 3/8 Mile E [East] of Cairncubie.
OS1/13/128/25 CHAPEL STANCE Chapel Stane Chapel Stane Thomas Colville Robert Dalgleish (Muir house) 035 A large stone situated near the summit of Craigluscar Hill traditionally handed down from which John Knox delivered sermons, so the given authorities state.
OS1/13/128/25 CRAIGLUSCAR HILL Craigluscar Hill Craigluscar Hill Craigluscar Hill Thomas Colville William Reddie (Old Craigluscar) New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] 035 A large hill on the farm of Craigluscar the surface of which is rocky pasture, on its summit is a Trigl [Trigonometrical] [Station]. The approach to the hill on the south side is very rocky and precipitous.
OS1/13/128/25 page 25 Plan 35A Trace No.5 Parish of Dunfermline Craigluscar Hill. About 1/8 Mile NNW [North North West] of Rosebank Mains. Chapel Stane. About 1 Mile NNW [North North West] of Rosebank Mains.
OS1/13/128/26 COMPENSATION RESERVOIR (Dunfermline Water-Works) Dunfermline Water Company's Compensation Reservoir Dunfermline Water Company's Compensation Reservoir Carnock Compensation Pond Compensation Reservoir Alexander Kilgour Mr McDonald, Dunfermline William Reddie (Old Craigluscar) Map of Water Works 035 This Reservoir was made by the Dunfermline Water Company according to Act of parliament for supplying Carnock Mill. Th [They] are bound to keep it in rep [repair] and also to see that a sufficient quantity of water is retained in Reservoir for the Mill.
OS1/13/128/26 DUMTUTHIL Drumtuthill Drumtuthill Drumtuthill Drumtuthill Alexander Kilgour (Burgh Clerk) Mr McDonald (Procurator Fiscal) Title Deeds Co [County] Map 1848 035 A long ridge or hill extending East and West on the farm of Ro[sebank] Mains, but formerly belonged to [a] farm called Drumtuthil. The Su[face]is arable partly covered with m[--?]
OS1/13/128/26 page 26 Plan 35A Trace No.5 Parish of Dunfermline. Drumduthill. 5/8 Mile North Rosebank Mains. The word Reservoir -- and the names of Reservoirs -- when of a public and not parish character should be in small roman print on the plans -- they are all Engraved in that Character. OMc. Compensation Reservoir. About ¾ Mile N[orth] of Rosebank Mains.
OS1/13/128/27 CRAIGLUSCAR Craigluscar Craigluscar Craigluscar Craigluscar Craigluscar Thomas Colville, occupier William Reddie (Old Craigluscar) New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] Valn [Valuation] Roll 1848 Mr Kilgour 035 A good farm house and offices including a Thrashing Mill and a farm of land attached, the property of the heirs of the late R. Durie, occupier Thomas Colville.
OS1/13/128/27 OLD CRAIGLUSCAR Old Craigluscar Old Craigluscar Thomas Colville William Reddie 035 A house and small croft a sublet off Craigluscar. It was formerly the principal farm house.
OS1/13/128/27 WEST HILL West Hill West Hill Thomas Colville George Stewart 035 A small hill partly arable and partly rocky pasture in the north west corner of Hillhead farm.
OS1/13/128/27 page 21 Plan 35A Trace No.5 Parish of Dunfermline Old Craigluscar. About ¼ Mile North of Rosebank Mains. Craigluscar. About one Mile N[orth] of Rosebank Mains. West Hill. About ¼ Mile N[orth] of Rosebank Mains.
OS1/13/128/28 BASIN [waterworks] Clearwater Basin Waterworks Map Alex[ander]Kilgour 035
OS1/13/128/28 RASPBERRY BRAE Raspberry Brae Raspberry Brae George Stewart (Hillhead) John Stewart (Lochhead) 035 A middling steep rocky pasture bank, on the farm of Hillhead at one time covered with wild Raspberry trees, hence the name.
OS1/13/128/28 RESERVOIR (Dunfermline Water-works) Dunfermline Water Company's Reservoir Dunfermline Water Company's Reservoir Store reservoir Alexander Kilgour, Burgh Clerk Thomas Colville (Craigluscar) Waterworks Map 035 A tolerably large Reservoir made by the Dunfermline Water Company from which the Town of Dunfermline is supplied. At the west end of the Reservoir is a small one commonly called the Clearwater basin through which the water has to pass before entering into the Conduit which conveys it to the Town.
OS1/13/128/28 page 28 Plan 35A Trace No.5 Parish of Dunfermline Raspberry Brae. 1 1/8 Mile NE [North East] of Rosebank Mains. Reservoir. About 1 1/8 Miles N[orth] of Rosebank Mains.
OS1/13/128/28 For Descriptive Remarks for Clearwater Basin see those for the Dunfermline Water Company's reservoir.
OS1/13/128/29 HUNTER PIT Hunter Pit (Coal) Hunter Pit (Coal) Mr Grier, Manager Mr Penman, Clerk 035 A Coal Pit belonging to the Elgin Colliery at present disused. It was worked by what is commonly termed by Colliers "A Gin" It is a horizontal wheel or machine turned by horses which coils on one rope whilst another winds off.
OS1/13/128/29 UPPER ROSEBANK Upper Rosebank Upper Rosebank Upper Rosebank Upper Rosebank Thomas Barns (Rosebank Mains) Mr McDonald, Dunfermline Map of Roads Title Deeds 035 A few dwelling houses and ruins of others not long since a farm steading but now occupied by agricultural labourers. The farm which belongs to the steading has been annexed to Rosebank Mains.
OS1/13/128/29 page 29 Plan 35 A Trace No.6 Parish of Dunfermline Now [word] Coal is not on plan -- perhaps not thought necessary as the name of the Coalfield is on the plan. OMc. Upper Rosebank. Near 3/8 Mile NE [North East] of Rosebank Mains. Hunter Pit. ¼ Mile NE [North East] of Rosebank Mains.
OS1/13/128/30 TOM PIT Tom Pit Tom Pit Mr Grier (Manager) Mr Penman (Clerk) 035 A large Coal Pit belonging to the Elgin Colliery. it is worked by a powerful Engine. This Pit was named after the Hon [Honorable] Thomas Bruce, Butler to the Earl of Elgin.
OS1/13/128/30 WALLSEND PIT Wallsend Pit Wallsend Pit Wallsend Pit Mr Grier Mr Penman Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] 1844 035 A large Coal Pit 105 fathoms in depth. it received the name from the coal which it produced being equally as good as that of the same name at the mouth of the River Tyne near Newcastle. At present this Pit is disused.
OS1/13/128/30 page 30 Plan 35A Trace No. 6 Parish of Dunfermline Tom Pit. About ½ Mile E [East] of Rosebank Mains. Wallsend Pit. About ½ Mile SE [South East] of Rosebank Mains.
OS1/13/128/31 COLLIERY OFFICE [Elgin Colliery] Colliery Office Colliery Office Mr Grier Mr Penman 035 The Office in connection with the Elgin Colliery, where the men are paid, and other business transacted respecting the work.
OS1/13/128/31 PARKNOOK Parknook Parknook Parknook Parkneuk Parknook Mr Grier (Manager) Mr Penman (Clerk) Map of Minerals 1841 Valn [Valuation] Roll 1848 New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] 035 A square of colliers houses in good repair, belonging to the Earl of Elgin.
OS1/13/128/31 SWALLOWDRUM Swallowdrum Swallowdrum Swallowdrum Swallowdrum Thomas Barns (Rosebank Mains) Mr Grier Co [County] Map 1841 Road Map 035 Two rows of houses formerly a farm steading but at present they are occupied by Colliers. The farm has been annexed to Rosebank Mains.
OS1/13/128/31 page 31 Plan 35A Trace No.6 Parish of Dunfermline Parknook. About 17 Chains NE [North East] of Inverkeithing. Colliery Office. 10 Chains NE [North East] of Inverkeithing. Swallowdrum. ¼ Mile North of Inverkeithing.
OS1/13/128/32 BACKMUIR Backmuir Backmuir John Henderson (Backmuir) William Brown (Backmuir) 035 This name applies to a number of small fees of Pitferrane estate, two of them are on this Plan, the rest are situated immediately south of the Stirling and Dunfermline Railway.
OS1/13/128/32 FERNIEKNOWE PIT Fernieknowe Pit (Coal) Fernieknowe Pit (Coal) Fernieknowe Pit (Coal) Mr Grier, Baldridge House Mr Penman, Baldridge House Alexander Hunter (Parknook) 035 A disused coal Pit belonging to the Elgin Colliery. There is an Engine House attached still in tolerably good repair.
OS1/13/128/32 page 32 Plan 35A Trace No.6 Parish of Dunfermline Backmuir. ½ Mile West of Inverkeithing. Fernieknowe Pit. ½ Mile NE [North East] of Inverkeithing.
OS1/13/128/33 BALDRIDGE HOUSE Baldridge House Baldridge House Mr Grier (Occupier) Mr Penman (occupier) 035 A neat house and garden nicely ornamented with evergreens and old Trees, formerly it was the mansion house of the Baldridge estate but at present it is occupied by the Manager of the Elgin Colliery, proprietor the Earl of Elgin.
OS1/13/128/33 WEST BALDRIDGE West Baldridge West Baldridge West Baldridge Mr Grier Mr James McLean Voters List 035 An indifferent looking farm house and offices including a Thrashing Machine with a farm of land attached the property of the Earl of Elgin occupier James McLean.
OS1/13/128/33 page 33 Parish of Dunfermline Plan 35A Trace No. 6 Baldridge House. 3/8 Mile NE [North East] of Inverkeithing. West Baldridge. 3/8 Mile NE [North East] by E [East] of Inverkeithing.
OS1/13/128/34 BALDRIDGE PIT Baldridge Pit (Coal) Baldridge Pit (Coal) Baldridge Pit (Coal) Mr Grier (Manager) Mr Penman, Clerk Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] 1844 035 A Coal Pit belonging to the Elgin Colliery on the farm of West Baldridge. it has been disused this good while the Coal being nearly worked out.
OS1/13/128/34 BLACKBURN Blackburn Blackburn Blackburn Mr Grier Mr Penman Map of Minerals 1841 New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] 035 A row of Colliers houses on the Clune estate, they are in tolerable good repair.
OS1/13/128/34 KIRKCALDY ROW Kirkcaldy Row Kirkcaldy Row Mr Grier Mr Penman 035 A row of Colliers houses belonging to the Earl of Elgin, named after the Town of Kirkcaldy they are in good repair.
OS1/13/128/34 page 34 Plan 35A Trace No.6 Parish of Dunfermline Baldridge Pit. 3/8 Mile E [East] of Inverkeithing. Blackburn. ¼ Mile E [East] of Inverkeithing. Kirkcaldy Row. 16 Chains NE [North East] of Inverkeithing.
OS1/13/128/35 ELGIN COLLIERY Elgin Colliery Elgin Colliery Mr Grier (Manager) Mr Penman (Clerk) 035 This Coalfield includes the lands of West Baldridge, Clune, Lochhead, Coalton and Balmule. At present the Coal is worked only on the first, the property of the Earl of Elgin and he has the other three on lease.
OS1/13/128/35 ELGIN RAILWAY Elgin Railway Elgin Railway Elgin Railway Elgin Railway Mr Grier Mr Penman Mr Currie, Railway Clerk New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] 1845 035 A Railway extending from the Elgin Colliery to Charleston Harbour, chiefly used for the conveyance of coal and Pig Iron by a locomotive. it is wholly the property of the Earl of Elgin.
OS1/13/128/35 page 35 Plan 35A Trace no. 6. Parish of Dunfermline. Elgin Colliery. A few chains N [North] of Inverkeithing. Elgin Railway. Passing the E [East] side of Kirkcaldy Row.
OS1/13/128/36 BALDRIDGE BURN Baldridge Burn Baldridge Burn Baldridge Burn Mr Kilgour (Town Clerk) Mr Chalmers (Parish Manse) Mr Grier (Manager of Elgin Colliery 035 A small Stream rising on the farm of West Baldridge a little East of Upper Rosebank and running in a Westerly direction as far as Nether Rosebank, thence in a southerly to Rumblingwell from here it takes an Easterly course to Harrie Brae Mill Dunfermline where a small rivulet joins it from the north, thence to its junction with the Lyne Burn on the south side of Dunfermline, it goes under the name "Tower Burn".
OS1/13/128/36 page 36 Plan 35A Trace No.6 Parish of Dunfermline Baldridge Burn. Passing the East side of Kirkcaldy Row.
OS1/13/128/36 Jill, please see my message on the previous page!
OS1/13/128/37 MUIRSIDE Muirside J. Robinson J. Addison 035 A dwelling house & Offices the residence & property of James Robinson. A small portion of land is attached belonging to the estate of Lochend.
OS1/13/128/37 TARGATE ROAD Targate Road Targate Road Alexander Chalmers Alexander McIntyre 035 A Parish Road leading from Berry Law farm house to Milesmark Village. it is macadamised & at present in tolerably good repair. It is supposed the name arose from a Tared Gate having at one time stood on the road.
OS1/13/128/37 page 37 Plan 35A Co [County] Fife Trace 7. Parish of Dunfermline
OS1/13/128/38 CAIRNCUBIE Cairncubie Cairncubie Cairncubie Adam Addison Val. [Valuation] Roll of Par. [Parish] of Dunfermline Voters List 035 A farm house, offices & farm attached occupied by Adam Addison and the property of the Town of Dunfermline.
OS1/13/128/38 page 38 Cairncubie. ½ Mile N. [North] W. [West] of Townhill.
OS1/13/128/39 HAWKIESFAULD Hawkiesfauld Hawkiesfauld Hawkiesfauld W. Brown W.S. [Writer to the Signet] Colton House George Shedden, Stewart Wellwood Colliery D. McLean 035 A small irregular built village on the N.W. [North West] side of Wellwood Colliery, it is chiefly peopled by the colliers of the adjoining work.
OS1/13/128/39 LEADSIDE Leadside Leadside Leadside William Simpson George Shedden Voters List 035 A small farm house and offices, the property of Mr Winstanley, and occupied by William Simpson.
OS1/13/128/39 page 39 35A Co [County] Fife Trace 7 Parish of Dunfermline Hawkiefauld. 7/8 Mile S.W. [South West] of Townhill. Leadside. 1 1/8 Miles SSW [South South West] of Townhill.
OS1/13/128/40 COLTON MAINS Colton Mains Colton Mains Mr. Brown W.S [Writer to the Signet] J. Penman 035 A farm house with Offices attached at one time let with a portion of land as a farm. The land is now annexed to Colton House & occupd [occupied] by the proprietor Mr Brown.
OS1/13/128/40 GATESIDE Gateside Gateside George Shedden D. McLean 035 A small dwelling house with offices attached, erected by Mr Spowart of Wellwood Colliery on a feu leased from the estate of Garvock.
OS1/13/128/40 page 40. Colton Mains. About ¾ Mile SW [South West] Cairncubie. Gateside. About 7/8 Mile SW [South West] of Cairncubie.
OS1/13/128/40 If there are ditto marks spellings need copied. Just expand names in full not in brackets, Alexander not Alex [Alexander] etc
OS1/13/128/41 COLTON HOUSE Colton House Colton House Colton William Brown, WS [Writer to the Signet], Proprietor George Sjedden Voters List 035 A genteel residence with a good farm of land, neat garden, and a large set of offices attached, the residence & property of W. Brown Esw. WS [Writer to the Signet].
OS1/13/128/41 EASTER COLTON Easter Colton Easter Colton Easter Colton W. Brown George Shedden Robert Leslie 035 A small farm house and Offices occupied by Mr Malcolm and the property of Misses Walker, Pitlair near Coupar.
OS1/13/128/41 page 41 Plan 35A Co [County] Fife Trace 7. Parish of Dunfermline. Colton House. ¾ Mile SW [South West] by W [West] of Cairncubie. Easter Colton. About ½ Mile SW [South West] by W [West] of Cairncubie.
OS1/13/128/41 Jill, please stop and read the faqs. Please do not put text in the situation column, it links to a map. Put any text either in the contd extras box or in at the start of the situation. I am unticking your completed pages as they are wrong. Please go back and correct using the information in the guidelines. Please also correct your name expansions - just George not Geo [ George] The info is all in the guidelines. Nora-Mod
OS1/13/128/42 DISTRIBUTING RESERVOIR [Dunfermline Water-works] Distributing Reservoir David Inglis D. Pitkethly 035 A large stone building at the S [South] West end of the village of Hawkiesfauld, it is the property of the Dunfermline Water Co [Company] & is in connection with a Store Reservoir or Pond at Craigluscar. A filtering bed is now being added to it.
OS1/13/128/42 GRANTSBANK CHECK T.B. Grantsbank Check T [Toll] B [Bar] C. Rennie V. Addison 035 A toll keepers box or hut let as a check toll along with the Grantsbank t [Toll] B [Bar] Dunfermline.
OS1/13/128/42 page 42 Grantsbank Check Toll Bar. About 1/4/Mile W [West] of Cairncubie. Distributing Reservoir. About 1 Mile SW [South West] of Cairncubie.
OS1/13/128/43 WELLWOOD COLLIERY Wellwood Colliery Wellwood Colliery George Shedden, Stewart J. Penman R. Leslie New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] 035 A colliery situated at Hawkiesfauld about 1 Mile north of Dunfermline and on the estate of A. Wellwood Esq. of Garvock. The coalfield consists of and area of about 200 acres let on lease to mr J. Spowart of Springfield. At present some of the pits are not in working order. An extensive seam of fine splint-coal is wrought here much used in preparing gas and a large quantity is also exported to the continent.
OS1/13/128/43 page 43 Plan 35A Co [County] Fife. Trace 7. Parish of Dunfermline. Wellwood Colliery. About 1 Mile N [North] of Townhill.
OS1/13/128/44 OUTH AND NIVINGSTON DISTRICT TRUST (No 1) Outh & Nivingston Trust (No.1) Mr Tuckett, Road Surveyor Mr McDonald, Deputy Clerk to the Trust 035 Under the designation Outh & Nivingston District turnpike roads are comprehended several portions of highway upon which Toll Bars are placed under an Act of Parliament. The whole is clearly defined in a Map & Schedule in the possess[ion] of the Road Surveyor. The road upon 35A und[er] this Trust is part of that between Dunfermline by Dunduff, Red craigs toll to the Pow and from Rumb[ling] Bridge Toll Bar to the Yetts of Muckhart.
OS1/13/128/44 page 44 Outh & Nivingston Trust (No.1). Running Southerly past Hawkiesfauld.
OS1/13/128/45 CHAMBERFIELD Chamberfield Chamberfield Chamberfield Chamberfield Chamberfield Mr Milne (Innkeeper Dunfermline) Mr A. Kilgour (Burgh Clerk) David Wilson (Townhill) Valn [Valuation] Roll 1848 Voters List 035 A small farm house and offices and a farm of land attached the property of James Hunt Esq of Logie House.
OS1/13/128/45 VENTUREFAIR VIADUCT Venturefair Viaduct Venturefair Viaduct Venturefair Viaduct Mr Kilgour, Town Clerk David Wilson, Townhill Mr Thomson (Pittencrieff St) 035 A small Voaduct made some years ago over a hollow by the Townhill Colliery Company to Connect a wagon road with their Colliery for the conveyance of Coal to Dunfermline. The Coal having been worked out the Waggon road has long since been discontinued and the viaduct is fast going to ruin.
OS1/13/128/45 page 45 Plan 35A. Trace No.8. Parish of Dunfermline. Chamberfield. 5/8 Mile SW [South West] of Townhill. Venturefair Viaduct. ¾ Mile SW [South West] of Townhill.
OS1/13/128/46 JANEFIELD Janefield Janefield Janefield Mr Brown WS [Writer to the Signet] proprietor Mr Kilgour, Town Clerk David Wilson, Townhill 035 A neat dwelling house and out offices attached with a few acres of arable land the property of Mr Brown WS [Writer to the Signet] Colton. This place was called after the proprietor's wife, and the spelling Jane instead of the Scotch way J [Jean].
OS1/13/128/46 VENTUREFAIR Venturefair Venturefair Venturefair Venturefair Venturefair Alexander Kilgour (Burgh Clerk) Mr Steedman (Dunfermline) New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] Voters List Co [County] Map 1841 035 A good dwelling house and farm steading and an arable farm attached the property of Mr Spowart Springbank and occupied by George Coussin.
OS1/13/128/46 page 46 Plan 35A. Trace No.8. Parish of Dunfermline. Venturefair. About ¾ Mile SW [South West] of Townhill. Janefield. About ¾ Mile SW [South West] by W [West] of Townhill.
OS1/13/128/47 LILLIEHILL Lillie hill Lillie hill Lillyhill Lilliehill Lilliehill Lillyhill Lillyhill Alexander Kilgour, Town Clerk Thomas Wardlaw (Farmer) Map of roads Valn [Valuation] Roll 1848 Mr Pearson (Poor rate collector) Voters List Co [County] Map 1841 035 A middling sized dwelling house and offices including a Thrashing Machine and a farm of land attached the property of the Burgh of Dunfermline and occupied by Thomas Wardlaw.
OS1/13/128/47 OLD FOUNTAIN HEAD Old Fountain Head Old Fountain Head Alexander Kilgour (Burgh Town Clerk) David Wilson (Townhill) 035 This was one of the former fountains which supplied the Town of Dunfermline with water. Finding the supply insufficient it was abandoned for that at Craigluscar. The Fountain is a small stone built well covered on the Top and entered by a door in the side.
OS1/13/128/47 page 47 Plan 35A. Trace no.8. Parish of Dunfermline. Old Fountain Head. About 3/8 Mile N [North] of Townhill. Lilliehill. About ¼ Mile N [North] of Townhill.
OS1/13/128/48 LOCHBANK Lochbank Lochbank Lochbank Henry Buchanan, Farmer Alexander Kilgour (Burgh Clerk) Valn [Valuation] Roll 1848 035 A small farm house and out houses attached an a farm of land attached the property go the Burgh of Dunfermline and occupied by H. Buchanan.
OS1/13/128/48 TOWN HILL Town Hill Town Hill Town Hill David Wilson Alexander Kilgour Valn [Valuation] Roll 1848 035 A middling size hill on the property of the Burgh of Dunfermline covered with wood.
OS1/13/128/48 TOWNHILL WOOD Townhill Wood Townhill Wood Alexander Kilgour David Wilson (Townhill) 035 A large Wood consisting of Ash Oak Beech and Fir the property of the Burgh of Dunfermline.
OS1/13/128/48 page 48 Plan 35A. Trace No. 8. Parish of Dunfermline. Lochbank. About ¼ Mile NW [North West] of Townhill. Townhill Wood. About 10 Chains NE [North East]of Townhill.
OS1/13/128/49 OLD RESERVOIR [Townhill] Old Reservoir Old Reservoir Alexander Kilgour David Wilson 035 A small Reservoir from which the Town of Dunfermline was partly supplied with water. At present it feeds the Colliery Engines.
OS1/13/128/49 TOWNHILL Townhill Townhill Townhill Townhill Townhill Alexander Kilgour David Wilson Henry Buchanan Valn [Valuation] Roll 1848 New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] 035 An irregular built village on the property of the Burgh of Dunfermline, occupied chiefly by the workers of Townhill Colliery.
OS1/13/128/49 page 49 Plan 35 A. Trace No. 8. Parish of Dunfermline. Townhill. About ½ Mile S[South] of Townhill. Old Reservoir. A few chains E [East] of Townhill.
OS1/13/128/50 CRAIG WELL Craig Well Craig Well David Wilson Alexander Kilgour 035 A good spring well issuing out of a rock, whence the name. It is situated in Townhill Wood.
OS1/13/128/50 CRAIGWELL QUARRY (Whinstone) Craigwell Quarry (Whinstone) Craigwell Quarry (Whinstone) David Wilson (Townhill) Alexander Kilgour (Burgh Clerk) 035 A Whinstone Quarry situated in the Townhill Wood the property of the Burgh of Dunfermline.
OS1/13/128/50 FORESTER'S COTTAGE (Post Office) Forester's Cottage (Post Office) Forester's Cottage (Post Office) Forester's Cottage (Post Office) Mr Kilgour (Town Clerk) Mr D. Wilson (occupier) Mr Streets (Townhill) 035 A neat cottage the residence of the Burgh of Dunfermline's Forester. It [is] also a receiving Post Office for Townhill and subject to Dunfermline. There are two deliveries and two dispatches daily.
OS1/13/128/50 page 50 Plan 35A. Trace No. 8. Parish of Dunfermline. Craigwell Quarry. ¼ Mile NE [North East] of Townhill. Craig Well. 17 Chains NE [North East] of Townhill. Forester's Cottage (Post Office). On the E [East] side of Townhill.
OS1/13/128/51 BRICK WORK [Townhill] Brick Work Brick Work Brick Work John Streets (occupier) David Wilson (Townhill) Mr Kilgour (Burgh Clerk) 035 A small Brick Work a feu from the Burgh of Dunfermline, occupier and proprietor Mr Streets.
OS1/13/128/51 TOWNHILL COLLIERY Townhill Colliery Townhill Colliery Townhill Colliery Alexander Kilgour David Wilson Valn [Valuation] Roll 1848 035 This Colliery comprises the whole of the mineral of the Burgh lands extending from Townhill to Loch Fitty and from Cairncubie to Muircockhall. At present there are only three Pits opened and they are at Townhill, where the name chiefly applies now.
OS1/13/128/51 page 51 Plan 35A. Trace No.8. Parish of Dunfermline. Brick Works. Near the S [South] side of Townhill. Townhill Colliery. About 17 Chains N [North] Townhill.
OS1/13/128/52 KINGSEAT HILL Kingseat Hill Kingseat Hill David Wilso (Townhill) Alexander Kilgour (Burgh Clerk) 035 A middling size hill on the farm [of] South Ballycoman, the surface [of] which is arable partly covered w[ith] wood.
OS1/13/128/52 KINGSEATHILL Kingseathill Kingseathill David Wilson Alexander Kilgour 035 A small house on the farm of Ballycoman occupied by Labourers and the property of the heirs of the late R. Downie Esq.
OS1/13/128/52 NORTH BELLYCOMAN North Bellycoman North Bellycoman North Bellycoman Alexander Kilgour (Town Clerk) John Allen (occupier) Valn [Valuation] Roll 1848 035 A small farm house and offices with a farm of land attached, the property of the heirs of the Robert Downie Esqr, and occupied by John Allen.
OS1/13/128/52 page 52 Plan 35 A. Trace No.8. Parish of Dunfermline. North Bellycoman. About 15 Chains S [South] of Townhill. Kingseat Hill. About 25 Chains SW [South Wesr] by S [South] of Townhill. Kingseathill. About 35 Chains SW [South West] of Townhill.
OS1/13/128/53 THE LEAD The Lead The Lead The Lead Mr Kilgour (Town Clerk) Mr Douglas (Lochhead) William Simpson 035 A small stream the course of which was made some years ago in order to draw water from Lochend Loch to Dunfermline subsequently it gave the name Leadside to a farm through which it passes, and finally has drained the Loch to a marsh.
OS1/13/128/53 TOWN LOCH Town Loch Town Loch Town Loch Alexander Kilgour (Burgh Clerk) David Wilson Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] 1845 035 A small Loch, belonging to the Burgh of Dunfermline. It is tolerably abundant with Perch and Trout.
OS1/13/128/53 page 53 Plan 35A. Trace No.8. Parish of Dunfermline. Town Loch. About 15 Chains W [West] of Townhill. The Lead. Passing the North Side of Janefield. Small Lakes or Lochs should be [--?] on plans. OMc.
OS1/13/128/54 TOWNHILL TRAM ROAD Townhill Tram Road Townhill Tram Road Townhill Tram Road Mr Christie (Lessee Townhill Coly [Colliery]) Robert Henderson (Overseer Halbeath Tram Road) Thomas Spiers (Clerk for Townhill Coly [Colliery]) 035 A ggod Tram road extending from Townhill Colliery to Morningside where it joins Halbeath Tram road, lately this Tram road was sold by Mr Christie to the Edinr [Edinburgh] Perth and Dundee Railway Company who has winded the Transit to the same gauge as their locomotive lines in order to allow their Truck Waggons to pass along it for Coal. The Waggons are drawn by horses.
OS1/13/128/54 page 54 Townhill Tram Road. Passing the W [West]side of Townhill.
OS1/13/128/55 EASTER CLUNE 035
OS1/13/128/55 ROSEBANK MAINS 035
OS1/13/128/55 page 55 [index page] Parish of Carnock [Names of Objects] == Pages Bonnyton 56 Carnock Burn 61 Dander Inn 51 Easter Clune 55 Mounthooly Check T. [Toll] B. [Bar] 58 New Luscar 56 Nether Rosebank 51 Priorypark 58 Rosebank Mains 55 Ph [Parish]of Carnock 57
OS1/13/128/55 N0 details appear on this page for the listed Objects, namely Easter Clune or Rosebank Mains.
OS1/13/128/56 BONNYTON 035
OS1/13/128/56 NEW LUSCAR 035
OS1/13/128/56 [page] 56 [blank page]
OS1/13/128/56 No details appear on this page for the listed Objects, namely Bonnyton and New Luscar.
OS1/13/128/57 CARNOCK [parish] Carnock Carnock Carnock Carnock Carnock Carnock Full. [Fullarton's] Gazetteer New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] Johnston's Co [County] Map Old Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account] Scottish Directory Sheriff's List of Parishes 034; 035 A parish in the western extremity of the county of Fife, bounded by the parish of Saline on the North, Dunfermline on the east, Torryburn on the south, and Torryburn and part of Perthshire on the west. Superfical area about 2,160 acres. The surface is level towards the east but has a gentle declivity towards the South and West. it is in general tolerably diversified with well enclosed fields, plantations etc. The principal villages are Carnock and Cairnyhill, of which see their respective descriptions in the adjoining Name Sheets.
OS1/13/128/57 DANDER INN 035
OS1/13/128/57 NETHER ROSEBANK 035
OS1/13/128/57 page 57 Carnock is supposed to be a compound word and signifies a Village, or a collection of houses adjoining to a small hill. New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account].
OS1/13/128/57 There are no details on this page for two of the Objects listed, namely Dander Inn and Nether Rosebank.
OS1/13/128/58 MOUNTHOOLY CHECK T.P. 035
OS1/13/128/58 PRIORYPARK 035
OS1/13/128/58 page 58 [blank page]
OS1/13/128/58 There are no details on this page for the Objects listed, namely Mounthooly Check T. [Toll] B [Bar] and Priorypark.
OS1/13/128/59 MILESMARK 035
OS1/13/128/59 SCHOOL [nr Inverkeithing] 035
OS1/13/128/59 page 59 Plan 35A. Trace no.6. Parish of Dunfermline. Rosebank Mains. Rosebank Mains. Rosebank Mains. Rosebank Mains. [Authorities] Thomas Barns, Farmer. Mr McDonald (Procurator Fiscal). Title Deeds. Co [County] Map 1841. [Situation] About ½ Mile N [North] of Inverkeithing. [Descriptive Remarks] A good dwelling house and farm offices including a Thrashing machine worked by stream, and a farm of land attached the property of Mrs Hepburn and occupied by Thomas Barns. Easter Clune. Easter Clune. Easter Clune. Easter Clune. [Authorities] William Danks (Grieve). John Henderson (Backmuir0. Ttile Deeds. Co [County] Map 1841. [Situation] About ¾ Mile NW [North West] of Inverkeithing. [Descriptive Re,arks] A tolerably good farm house and offices including a Thrashing machine and a farm of land attached the property of Mrs Hepburn and occupied by Mrs [blank].
OS1/13/128/59 No details appear on this page for the following Objects listed, namely Milesmark and School. The Objects that do appear are detailed in Extra info.
OS1/13/128/60 DUNFERMLINE DISTRICT TRUST (No 5) 035
OS1/13/128/60 page 60 Plan 35A. Trace No.6. Parish of Carnock. New Luscar. New Luscar. New Luscar. [Authorities] Mr McDonald (Procurator Fiscal Dunfermline). Thomas Barns (Rosebank Mains) Map of Roads. [Situation] About 7/8 Mile NW [North West] of Inverkeithing. [Descriptive Remarks] A small Cottage and garden the property of the occupier Mrs Telford, formerly there were a number of houses which have been lately thrown down and the foundations erased. Bonnyton. Bonnyton. Bonnyton. Boneytown. Boneytown. Boneytown. Boneytown. Boneytown. [Authorities] Mr Kilgour (Town Clerk). Mr Clerk (Bookseller). Mr Steedman (Dunfermline). Map of Roads. Mr McDonald (Procurator Fiscal, Factor) Title Deeds. Co [County] Map 1841. [Situation] About 7/8 Mile NW [North West] of Inverkeithing. [Descriptive Remarks] A dwelling house and out offices until lately it had a farm of land attached which has been annexed to Rosebank Mains. Note Boneytown is the old way of spell[ling]this name, it is so in the Title deeds, and the Factor Mr McDonald recommends the same Orthography.
OS1/13/128/60 No details appear on this page for the listed Object, namely Dunfermline District Trust (No.5). The Objects listed are detailed in Extra info.
OS1/13/128/61 BLOSSOM COTTAGE 035
OS1/13/128/61 MILESMARK COTTAGE 035
OS1/13/128/61 MUIRHOUSE 035
OS1/13/128/61 page 61 Plan 35A. Trace No.6. Parish of Carnock. Nether Rosebank. Nether Rosebank. Nether Rosebank. Nether Rosebank. Nether Rosebank. [Authorities] Thomas Barns. Mr McDonald (Dunfermline). Map of roads. Map of Minerals 1841. Title Deeds. [Situation] 5/8 Mile North of Inverkeithing. [Descriptive Remarks] A few Cottages and gardens feued off of the Clune estate proprietor Mr McGleish, Saline, and occupied by working people. Dander Inn. Dander Inn. Dander Inn. [Authorities] John Henderson (Backmuir). William Brown (Backmuir). Mr Danks (Wester Clune). [Situation] ½ Mile W [West] of Inverkeithing. [Descriptive Remarks] A middling good house at the west end of Milesmark, It formerly was a public house which gave rise to the name, at present it is occupied by working people.
OS1/13/128/61 No details appear on this page for the Objects listed, namely Blossom Cottage, Milesmark Cottage and Muirhouse. The Objects that are detailed, namely Nether Rosebank and Dander Inn, are transcribed in Extra Info.
OS1/13/128/62 CASTLE ROW 035
OS1/13/128/62 CHALMERS' COTTAGE 035
OS1/13/128/62 page 62 Plan 35A. Trace No.6. Parish of Carnock. Priorypark. Priorypark. Priorypark. [Authorities] Robert Dalgleish. John Henderson. Henry Arnott. [Situation] ¼ Mile NW [North West] of Inverkeithing. [Descriptive Remarks] A neat Cottage situated on the boundary between Inverkeithing and Carnock Parishes. it is a feu off of the Clune estate, owner occupier Henry Arnott. Mounthooly T [Toll] B [Bar] (Check). Mounthooly T [Toll] B [Bar] (Check). Mounthooly T [Toll] B [Bar] (Check). [Authorities] John Henderson. Sign Board. Ticket. [Situation] ½ Mile W [West] of Inverkeithing. [Descriptive Remarks] A small house and Toll Gate used as a check for Rumbling W[ell] T [Toll] P. [Bar] Proprietors Road Trustees.
OS1/13/128/62 No details appear on this page for the Objects listed, namely Castle Row and Chalmer's Cottage. The Objects that are detailed, namely Priorypark and Mounthooly T [Toll] B [Bar], are transcribed in Extra Info.
OS1/13/128/63 page 63 [index page] Parish of Inverkeithing (Detached) [Names of Objects] Page Blossom Cottage 61 Chalmer's Cottage 62 Castle Row 62 Milesmark 59 Muirhouse 61 Milesmark Cottage 61 School 59 Dunfermline District Trust (No. 5) 60 Ph [Parish] of Inverkeithing 67
OS1/13/128/64 page 64 [blank page]
OS1/13/128/65 OS1/13/128 PAGES 65 & 66 ARE MISSING
OS1/13/128/67 School School School Robert Ferguson. Mr Danks. 035 A school established by the Earl of Elgin for his Colliers' children ar which are taught the ordinary branches of an English eduction by Robert Ferguson Schoolmaster.
OS1/13/128/67 Milesmark Milesmark. Milesmark. Milesmark. Milesmark. Milesmark. Milesmark. Robert Ferguson (Milesmark). Mr Danks (Milemark Cottage). Mr Gilles (Milesmark Cottage). New Stat [Statistical] Acct [Account]. Co [County] Map 1841. Road Map. 035 This Village extends from castle Row to Dander Inn. It consists of a number of scattered Cottages, feus from the Pittencrieff estate, and a few Colliers houses, a school and public house.
OS1/13/128/67 Inverkeithing Inverkeithing Name book 39B. 035 For descriptive remarks of the parish of Inverkeithing see name List for Plan 39B. Is detached on Plan 35A.
OS1/13/128/67 page 67 Plan 35A. Trace No. 6. Parish of Inverkeithing (Detached). School. In the village of Inverkeithing. Milesmark. 15 Chains W [West] of Inverkeithing.
OS1/13/128/67 The Objects detailed on this page are shown in Extra Info as they are not listed here.
OS1/13/128/68 Western District Trust Western District Trust. Western District Trust. Western District Trust. Western District Trust. Western District Trust. Map of Roads. Act of Parliament for Fifeshire Kinross and Perth 1829. Act for Kinross Fife Perth and Clackmannan Counties 1831. Descriptive Plan of the roads. 035 One of the roads in the western District of Fifeshire leading from Dunfermline towards Saline etc.
OS1/13/128/68 Dunfermline District Trust (No.5) Dunfermline District. Dunfermline District Trust. Dunfermline District Trust. Act of Parliament. Mr Tuckett (Road Surveyor). Mr McDonald (Deputy Clerk to Trust). 035 Under the designation Western district of Fife Turnpike Roads are comprehended several portions of highways upon which Toll Bars are placed under an Act of Parliament, the whole are clearly defined in a map and schedule in the possession of the Road Surveyor. The road upon 35A under this trust is part of that between Dunfermline and Saline and is No.5 of this district described as from "Pittencrieff Toll Bar by Bambo Bridge to the road leading from Saline to the Great North Road near Kinnedder" which road is No.3 of the Outh and Nivingstone Trust.
OS1/13/128/68 page 68 Plan 35A. Trace No.6. Parish of Inverkeithing.
OS1/13/128/69 Blossom Cottage Blossom Cottage Blossom Cottage Robert Dalgleish (Milesmark) 035 A neat Cottage and Vegetable garden off a feu off of the Clune estate proprietor and occupier Mr Kidd.
OS1/13/128/69 Muirhouse Muirhouse Muirhouse Robert Dalgleish 035 A neat modern built house feued off of Pittencrieff estate proprietor Mr McLean occupier Mr R. Dalgleish.
OS1/13/128/69 Milesmark Cottage Milesmark Cottage. Milesmark Cottage. Milesmark Cottage. Robert Dalgleish. Mr Gibbes (occupier). Mr Danks (occupier). 035 A neat Cottage and Vegetable garden a feu off of Pittercrieff estate occupiers Messrs Danks & Gibbes.
OS1/13/128/69 page 69 Plan 35A. Trace No.6. Parish of Inverkeithing. Blossom Cottage. 3/8 Mile W [West] of Inverkeithing. Muirhouse. 24 Chains W [West] of Inverkeithing. Milesmark Cottage. 15 Chains W [West] of Inverkeithing.
OS1/13/128/70 CHALMER'S COTTAGE Chalmer's Cottage Chalmer's Cottage Mr Chalmers Mr Danks (Milesmark) 035 A substantial built Cottage and a vegetable garden feued from the Clune estate. Proprietor and occupier Mr Chalmers.
OS1/13/128/70 CASTLE ROW Castle Row Castle Row Mr Danks Mr Gilles (Milesmark) 035 A Row of Colliers houses in Mielsmark, being rather higher than the other ones in the Vicinity it received the dignity of Castle Row.
OS1/13/128/70 page 70 Plan 35A. Trace No.6. Parish of Inverkeithing.
OS1/13/128/71 page 71 [index page] OS1/13/128 Co FIFE 35A Parishes of == Page Carnock == 55 Dunfermline == 1 Inverkeithing (Det) == 63
OS1/13/128/71 Jill, please add rows for the previous pages, I have done p70 for you. Please also note this volume is not complete as you need to go back to a lot of pages and add the situation 035. You have done it on some but not all pages. Nora -Mod