Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/13/113/74

Continued entries/extra info

74) Parish of Cupar Sheet 5

[Quotation]
"The parochial church of Cupar in early times stood at a considerable distance from the town towards the north on a rising ground now known by the name of the Old Kirk Yard. The foundations of this antient building were removed by the present proprietor in 1759 and many human bones turned up in the adjoining field by the plough were collected and buried in the earth. In the year 1415 this structure had become ruinous or incapable of accommodating the numbers who resorted to it. In the course of that year the prior of St. Andrews (the head of the Clergy in Scotland and possessed of immense revenues), for the better accomodation of the inhabitants of the town of Cupar and that rite of religion might be celebrated with a pomp gratifying to the taste of the age erected within the royalty a spacious and magnificent Church. The year in which this erection took place is ascertained by the following extract from the book of Paisley:- "Sal: Hum, 1415 In Cupro de Fyfe fundato est nova parochialus ecclesia quae prius distabat a Burgo ad plagam borealem." This Church was built in the best stile of the times of polished freestone in length 133 feet by 54 in breadth. The roof was supported by two rows of arches extending the whole length of the church. The oak couples were of a circular form lined with wood and painted in the taste of the times. In 1785 this extensive building was found to be in a state of total decay. The heritors of the parish resolved to pull down the old fabric and to erect on the same site a church on a more convenient plan. This plan they have accordingly carried into execution at a very considerable expence and the new Church of Cupar is by far the most convenient and elegant structure of the Kind to be found at present in the County of Fife. It is to be regretted however that the new building was not joined to the Spire of the old Church which still stands. The vestry or session house by intervening between the Church and Spire gives a detached and [continued]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

MaxInSpain

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.