List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Site of BLACK FRIARS' MONASTERY Site of Black Friars monastery Rev C.J. Lyon St Andrews
Map of St Andrews
History of St Andrews
012 The Black Friars' Monastery stood in the quadrangle immediately South of the Black Friars Chapel (remains of), but nothing of this Monastery now remains except the North transept of the Chapel of this convent.
"Near the end of the thirteenth century bishop Wishart founded and endowed a monastery of Dominican or Black Friars in South Street. After the reformation the ground on which it stood came to Lord Seaton and from him to Spens of Lathallan. It afterwards became the property of Dr Patrick Young, archdeacon of St Andrews, who granted it to the town as a site for a grammar school. The late Dr Bell obtained it from the town and upon it with some other ground he had purchased the Madras College has been erected. In front of that institution are the remains of the north transept of the chapel of this convent and which has been railed in in for its preservation. Judging by what is left it has been an elegant building in the early English Style of pointed architecture" - Leightons Hist [History] of Fife col. [volume] lll [3] p. [page] 23.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 56
St Andrews Sheet 3 Trace 10

South side of South Street [Situation]

(1274) [date under Name]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.


  Location information for this page.