Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/15/34/74

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
MONASTERY OF RED OR TRINITY FRIARS (Ruins of) [Dunbar] Monasterty (Remains of)
Monastery (Remains of)
Revd [Reverend] T Burnet
Richard Burns
History of Dunbar
006 [Situation] Near the, N, [North] end of Friars Croft
This Monastery was founded in the year 1218 by Patrick sixth Earl of Dunbar and belonged to the order of Red or Trinity Friars, it stood in the field called "Friars Croft"; part of the belfry still remains which is now converted into a Pigeon House.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 74
Parish of Dunbar

"Patrick the sixth Earl of Dunbar in 1218 founded
in this parish a monastery of Red Friars part of the is still
standing in the Friars Croft. The land which piety or zeal had given
to them says Spottiswood were transferred after the reformation
to George Home of Friarsland." -- Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] of Haddington 1835

"In 1218 Patrick Earl of Dunbar founded a house of Red or Trinity Friars at Dunbar; And the
land, which piety or zeal had given them were transferred after the reformation to George Home of Friarsland
On such occasions this observation must for ever occur that such lands in possession of such establishments
were of some use to the public but in the hands of an individual they were of none." -- Chalmers Caledonia vol [volume] 2 page 508

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Moira L- Moderator, ElaineF