Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.


List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
A. Kerr
John Lyle
Thomas Hume
Full. [Fullarton's] Gazetteer
Co [County] Map,
Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] 1835
006 [Situation] About 1/2 Mile N. [North] by West from Eweford
A small village about 1 mile West of Dunbar chiefly consisting of dwelling houses and several handsome villas recently erected in its neighbourhood It is situated close upon the Sea at the bottom of a small Bay which was originally the Port of Dunbar, The Artillery Barracks was in this village which was purchased from government and converted into a cotton Factory in 1815 and gave employment to about 250 looms and supported a population of upwards of 500 people. The factory fell into decay on the disastrous failure of the East Lothain Bank.

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 24
Parish of Dunbar

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Moira L- Moderator, Stuart Johnston