Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/9/12/11

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Church (Ruins of) Church (Ruins of) Mr. Jolly, Factor
Peter Turner, Auchengavin
Archibald Davie, Inchfad
011 A ruin about 60 feet long and 20 in breadth. Situated in the northern extremity of Inchcailloch, the walls are about 2 feet in height and the same in breadth, prior to the year 1621 it was used as a place of worship, (see description of Island Plan 14 trace 3). There is an Enclosed burying ground attached. Still used by families in the neighbourhood.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 11
County Dumbarton

"The ancient parish comprised besides the isle of
Inchcailyoch, most of the neighbouring islands,
and a high mountainous tract on the eastern shores
of the lake, including the ridge of Benlomond.
In 1621, it was increased by the annexation of the
forty pound lands of Buchanan, which were, by
an act of Privy Council, disjoined from Luss.
The ancient church of Inchcailyoch stood near the
shore of the island and was in use subsequent to
1621. It was dedicated to Kentigerna, a holy widow,
sister of St. Congan, and mother of St. Fillan."
(Origines Parochiales) P. [Page] 32

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, CorrieBuidhe- Moderator

  Location information for this page.