Essential website maintenance

On Tuesday 11 June, a small number of our websites started experiencing some infrastructure-related issues. We are working to restore the functionality affected by these issues and anticipate this will be resolved by next week.

OS1/10/12/3

No image found
List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Site of old
ST MICHAEL'S CHURCH
St. Michaels Church
Old church
St. Michaels church
Rev. [Reverend] R. Wallace D.D. [Doctor of Divinity]
map of Dumfries
R. Kemp Esqr. -
055 [Situation] On the North East Side of St. Michaels Street.
A large plain built edifice with tower used as belfry, surmounted by a Spire of considerable height in the tower is a good. clock having 3 faces, The interior of the church is well fitted up with pews galleries etc, sufficiently Commodious with sittings about 1200 average number of Congregation about 850 Communicants about 525 The Clergyman is the Rev [Reverend] R, Wallace D.D. [Doctor of Divinity] whose stipend amounts to £310 beside Manse & a Glebe containing about 7 acres of land. The cemetery that Surrounds this Church is famed for the vast number and the singular variety of its monuments, being according to calculation about 2100. In the N.E. [North East] corner of the Cemetery stands a splendid mausoleum over the remains of the poet Burns, it was erected in 1815 at a cost of about £1450, defrayed by public subscription, sanctioned by a contribution of 50 guineas from George IV. Also in the centre of the grave yard is a monument built of hewn granite over the Ashes of 3 martyrs who were murdered during the persecuting of the Stewarts. This Church was built in 1745 upon the site of the Old church dedicated to St Michael, the patron Saint of Dumfries and was pulled down in 1745 for the suplanting of the present edifice. The date cannot be Ascertained when the Old Church, dedicated to St Michael, was erected, but the following is a quotation from the Chalmers' Caledonia "We first See the churches of Dumfries town mentioned in record during the twelth century, when the principal Church had been dedicated to St Michael the patron Saint of the parish"

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 3

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Chr1smac -Moderator, lowlandscot

  Location information for this page.