Essential website maintenance

On Tuesday 11 June, a small number of our websites started experiencing some infrastructure-related issues. We are working to restore the functionality affected by these issues and anticipate this will be resolved by next week.

OS1/10/12/19

No image found
List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
THE DOCK The Dock
The Dock
The Dock
The Dock Promenade
The Dock
J.B Hepburn Esqr.
Thomas Thomson
map of Town 1819
Small map of Dumfries
055 [Situation] Along the River nith at the South end of the town of Dumfries
A tract of low level ground extending along the River Nith from Castledykes to Nith Street. It is a fertile tract of pasture ground and is the public property of the town of Dumfries. It is generally let every year as a grass park by the Corporation of Dumfries. Along the sides of this are public walks that on the North side is sheltered by a row of trees the walk on the other side winds along the Nith
DARK WALK Dark Walk
Dark Walk
J.B. Hepburn Esqr.
R. Kemp Esqr.
055 [Situation] About 5/8 of a mile S. by E. [South by East] of St. Michaels church
This name applies to a walk which is constructed partly along the bottom and side of the Moat which surrounds Cummins Castle, this Moat or dyke forms a deep ravine the sides of which are planted with trees.-

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 19 -- Sheet 1 N 13 -- Parish of Dumfries

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Chr1smac -Moderator, lowlandscot

  Location information for this page.