List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Site of COMYN'S CASTLE Site of Cummins Castle
Site of Cummins Castle
Site of Cummins Castle
Site of Cummins Castle
Castle of the Comyns
Cummins Castle
Castel Dyiks
J. B. Hepburn Esqr.
Thomas Thomson Esqr.
John McCormack
R. Kemp Esqr.
Sinclairs Stat Acct [Statistical Account] Vol [Volume] 5 P [Page] 141
Bleau's Atlas Vol [Volume] 6 published 1662.
055 [Situation] About 5/8 mile S. by E. [South by East] of St. Michaels Church Dumfries
The site of an Ancient Castle which had been once the Stronghold of the family of the Cummins. No track or vestige now remains to indentify the Spot it stood except the Moat or ditch which defended it. Mr Hepburn proprietor of the ground points out the place called Castle Hill which tradition records as being the site of the Castle. The ditch or moat which defended it is pretty entire on East & South sides. It has been partly defaced on the other sides, what remains of it is very deep and wide, water still remaining in part of it. No doubt it had been much deeper originally. On the map of Nithsdal In Bleau's Atlas published 1662 it is called Castel Dyik & shown as a fortified Castle yet there is reason to believe that no part of the castle had been standing at that time although shown as a complete castle by Bleau as had there been a castle at that time the name would not be Castle Dikes therefore there is reason to think that there were no remains but the fortifications which surrounded the castle as the name Castle Dikes would seem to import.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 15 -- Sheet 7 T [Trace] No [Number] 16

[Note] Comyns is the ancient mode of spelling
the name it is therefore adopted on the

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Chr1smac -Moderator, lowlandscot

  Location information for this page.