List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Site of GREYFRIARS' MONASTERY AND CHURCH [Dumfries] (Site of) Greyfriars Monasterty
(Site of) Greyfriars Monastery
Franciscans or Greyfriars Convent
(site of) Greyfriars' Monastery and Church
J. McCormack
Peter Mundell
Chalmers' Caledonia Vol.III. P.153
5 ft. Ordce. [Ordnance] Map
049 [situation] On the N.W. [North West] side of Friars Vennel At the end of Greyfriars Street.
The Site of An Ancient Monastery founded by Lady Dervorgilla in the 13th Century or about the year 1230. for Monks of the Franciscan order of Grey Friars. - It was situated in the Friars Vennel adjoining Greyfriars Street. Part of the Public House called the Grey Horse is believed to have been part of the building of the Monastery. - It was in a Chapel of the Monastery that King Robert Bruce stabbed his rival Comyn. - A Small Court as the end of Greyfriars Street is called Cummins Court. - John McCormack an aged and intelligent Man in Dumfries remembers when in his younger days to have seen part of the building of this Monastery, - a vault thereof being then used as a Cellar - And which fronted the Friars Vennel Close to the Grey Horse public-house And was also used as a dwelling by a woman who Sold fruit, - Over the Cellar was the wall of a house having one of the Gothic windows of the Monastery in good preservation - These have all been removed for many years past. - In Cardonnels Antiquities it is Said that this Monastery was founded about 1275.

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 78 -- Parish of Dumfries -- Plan 49. 15.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Chr1smac -Moderator, VickiColeman

  Location information for this page.