List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
COURT HOUSE [Dumfries] Court House
Court House
Court House
Court House
F. Nicholson
Mr. Kidd
Map of Town
Robert Kemp Esqre. Town Clerk.
049 [situation] On the N.W. [North West] side of Buccleuch St.
A large and handsome building 3 Storeys high and in good repair. It was originally built for and used by the Haldanites as a Chapel. It was purchased from the Trustees in 1814 new modelled, extended and ornamented and opened for the reception of the Lords of Justiciary in 1816, - In the lower flat are held the Circuit Courts and Sheriffs Court and Justice of Peace Court with the apartments appertaining to them. - In it is also the County Police Office. In the upper Storey are the Sheriffs rooms and Sheriff-Clerk's rooms. &c. -
ST MARY'S CHAPEL (Episcopal) [Dumfries] St. Marys Episcopal Chapel
St. Marys Episcopal Chapel
English Chapel
St. Mary's Chapel
St. Mary's Chapel
David Johnstone Esqre.
Irving Bell Buccleugh St.
Map of Town 1819.
Revd. [Reverend] A. McEwan
Robert Kemp Esqre.
049 [situation] On the N.W. [North West] side and at the N.E. [North East] end of Buccleuch St.
A Small but handsome Stone edifice with vestibule in front erected in 1814 At a Cost of upwards of £2000, Consecrated in 1817. The present incumbent is the Revd. [Reverend] Mr. McEwan whose Stipend varies between £200 and £300 p [per] Annum, paid partly by Seat rents and partly by voluntary Contributions The Congregation is about 180. Sittings 300. -

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 74 -- Parish of Dumfries -- 49. 15.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Chr1smac -Moderator, VickiColeman

  Location information for this page.