List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
KILBIRNIE HOUSE (In Ruins) Kilbirnie House
Kilbirnie House
Kilbirnie House
Kilbirnie House
Kilbirnie House
Mr William Dobie [Raith]
Mr John Kerr
Mr William Fife (Farmer K) [Kilbirnie Place]
New Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account]
Johnson's Co. [County] Map
007 A fine old ruin once a Stately Mansion
belonging to the Earls' of Crawford its [consists] of a quadrilateral tower strongly built, the walls being 7 feet in thickness; and a wing on the S.E. [South East] side of the tower. evidently the more modern dwelling - It was accidentally destroyed by fire in the year 1757 & has remained in ruins ever since. It is the property of the Earl of Glasgow.
Mr Mackay (Tent.) [Tenant]
Mr. William Fife
William Craig Esqr.
007 A Small Cottage, Garden & Stable with a
few acres of Cultivated land, Situate 20 chains S.E. by E [South East by East] of Kilbirnie House is the property of the Earl of Glasgow -

Continued entries/extra info

Kilbirnie Parish -- 7. 8. T. 5 [Trace 5] -- [Page] 89

[Note] "It is impossible from any peculiarities in the
"masonry of this feudal tower, to ascertain the
"period of its construction. The absence of gun-ports in its walls, a provision of
"defence with which every stronghold erected subsequently for the use of firearms
"was furnished, seems to imply that it was built, at the latest in the early part of the fourteenth century
"and consequently in the day of the Barclays, the most anciently recorded Lords of the Barony
"The modern part of the edifice was built about 1627, and must have proved a satisfactory
"increase of light and airy accommodation to that afforded by the Sombre tower" New Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account]

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Chr1smac -Moderator, JoyceL

  Location information for this page.