Essential maintenance
HES is currently undertaking essential maintenance on our web services. This will limit access to services in the following ways:
- Subscription access for HES online services will be unavailable (Scran, NCAP)
- Image purchasing options will be limited (Canmore, Britain from Above, Scran, NCAP)
- Any enhanced services which require a log in will be unavailable (My Canmore, Britain from Above contributions, Scran contribute)
General access to these services will all continue. Enquiries will still be able to be submitted.

We anticipate services to be restored from Monday 1st February 2021.

OS1/3/5/42

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CATTLE MARKET [Ayr] Nil Hugh Miller
Alexander Fullarton
J.J. McDerment
033 [Situation] Near the South end of Kyle Street.
This is a large enclosure used for Keeping Cattle in when fairs are held in the town, there are several compartments partitioned off for the purposes of separating different lots of Cattle -
CATTLE MARKET INN [Ayr] Nil Hugh Miller
Alexander Fullarton
J.J. McDerment
033 [Situation] South of Cattle Market.
This house is considered a good one [for] accommodation and is much frequen[ted] in time of fairs -
MANSE [parish; Ayr] Nil Hugh Miller
Alexander Fullarton
J.J. McDerment
033 [Situation] South of Plan about 6 Chains South of the Town head Toll Bar.
This a Comformtable and well built m[anse] and has a Garden & Ornamental Ground there are a few acres as Glebe land attached
TOWN HEAD TOLL BAR [Ayr] Nil Hugh Miller
Alexander Fullarton
J.J. McDerment
033 [Situation] About 7 chains east of the Cattle Market.
A Toll Bar where dues are Collected on the road from Ayr to Dalmellington -
FEVER HOSPITAL [Ayr] Nil HUgh Miller
Alexander Fullarton
J.J. McDerment
033 [Situation] At the South end of Mill Street on the West side.
This is a handsome modern building although Called the fever hospital it is supported by Voluntary Contributions - erected 1844 and affords accommodation to about 40 patients
POOR'S HOUSE [Ayr] Nil Hugh Miller
Alexander Fullarton
J.J. McDerment
033 [Situation] At the South end of Mill Street on the east side.
This Establishment was built in 1756 for the reception of decayed burgesses & others (Male and Female) who may have been unfortunate in business or otherwise incapable of providing for themselves. The funds for its support consist of a capital of £1550 acquired from donating the interest whereof, contributions from the Kirk, Merchants & Seamans Society & assessments on inhabitants of the town. In few places are the poor better provided for and hence strangers who feel the approach of poverty too often endeavour to fix their domicile here - Auld Ayr 1832
It is an extensive but heavy looking stone Building - very plain but suitable for its purpose

Continued entries/extra info

[Page 42]
Sheet 11 -- Ayr

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Nellie- Moderator, JCB

  Location information for this page.