Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/2/29/6

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
Mingary Castle (Continued) [continued from page 5]
by a narrow exposed stair, hewn out of the rock, on the top there is a rampart with embrasures all round, and several loop holes on the lower part of the building. The interior consists of a large house of three stories in the modern style, the broadest part of the old wall forming the back with other buildings, on the other sides an open space or court being left in the centre. These were erected, it is said, by Campbell of Lochnell, more than a century and a half ago. The floors, and rafters, are all of massive oak When or by whom this Castle was erected is unknown. In 1493 James IV granted a charter from this Castle, and in 1495 again held his Court to receive the submission of the nobles of the forfeited lordship of the isles. It is supposed, by Gregory, to have been razed to the ground by Sir Donald of Lochalsh in 1517, but it is most probable that the greater portion of the outer wall which is of great strength, thickness and apparent antiquity was left standing on that occasion. In 1588 it was besieged for three days, by Sir Lachlan McLean of Duart one of the most daring warriors and ablest leaders of the highlands, aided by 100 soldiers of the Florida, a ship of the Spanish Armada, which had taken shelter in the adjoining harbour of Tobermory. The siege was raised, in consequence of the approach of the northern clans, under the orders of government. (Extract from new statistical account)

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 6

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Alison James- Moderator, Eleanor Brown

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.