Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/2/18/42

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CLACHAN OF GLENDARUEL Clachan of Glenaruel
Clachan of Glendaruel
Clachan of Glendaruel
Rev: [Reverend] D. Dewar
D. Buchanan Esq:
Mr J. McAuslan
172 A small village consisting of the Parish Church, manse and School, A Post office, Inn and Smithy
LEPHINKILL Lephinkill Rev: [Reverend] D Dewar
Mr Moodie occupier
D. Buchanan Esq:
A farmsteading situated about ½ a mile S [South] of the Clachan of Glendaruel. The property of Capt: [Captain] Campbell of Glendaruel
CHURCH (Site of) [GIendarueI] Church (Site of) Re:. [Reverend] D Dewar
Mr Moodie occupier
D. Buchanan Esq:
172 To the immediate W. [West] of the present parish church is pointed out the site of an old Church, which tradition asserts was built A. D. 1610 by Sir D. Campbell of Auchenbreck. It was pulled down about one hundred years ago, and the material was used in the erection of the present Church. A stone in the S. [South] wall of the present edifice containing the initials S.D.C. date 1610, and a crest is said to mark the date of its erection, and the initials & crest to be those of Sir. D. Campbell of Auchenbreck

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 42
Parish of Kilmodan -- Argyllshire


"The present church appears to occupy
the site of the original one on the left
bank of the river Ruaill, near the mouth
of the glen"
Origines Parochiales

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Trondragirl- Moderator, macfam

  Location information for this page.