List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
TURRIFF [Continued] 011 It is also governed by a baron Bailie (John Hanna Esq.). It has no town council nor magistrates, all Police charges are settled in Aberdeen. There are no markets for provisions or dairy produce; but Twenty five markets for the sale of Cattle, Sheep, and horses, are held annually. The Village is pretty regularly built, near the centre is a large Square, upon this Square, a number of Streets converge, in it there are three places of Worship; a branch of the Union, Commercial, North of Scotland, and Aberdeen Town and County Banks, a Town Hall, Two Hotels, the Public House and it is well lighted with gas. There is also a Post Office & Post Office Savings Bank in the Village. The tenants are chiefly, Tradesmen & Fuers & is entirely owned by. The Earl of Fife.

Continued entries/extra info

[page] 60
County of Aberdeen. Parish of Turriff.

Note: [page signed by] John Bucklow Lce. Corpl. [Lance Corporal] R.E. [Royal Engineers]

"In 1511, James IV out of love and favour to
Mr Thomas Dickson, then prebend of Turriff, granted
him a charter erecting Turriff into a burgh of barony,
constituting the prebend superior of the burgh, and
titular of the teinds, and giving power to the burgesses,
with the consent of the prebend, to choose yearly, bailies
and other office-bearers, for the government of the
burgh, with a right also to the burgesses and inhabitants
to hold weekly markets at the Market Cross on
Sunday, and public fairs at the fast of St. Peter,
called Lammas, and St. Congan, with the whole
tolls, liberties, and priviledges of free markets"
Vide New Stat. Acct. [Statistical Account] p. [pages] 988 & 989.

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

GreenflyNZ, Ron Dyce

  Location information for this page.