Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/1/68/78

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
ABBEY OF ST MARY OF DEER (Remains of) Abbey of St. Mary of Deer. (Remains of) "Pratts Buchan" 021 [Continued from page 77]
design and proportions. Standing at the western entrance, we may fancy a building, lofty and long, with no great profusion of architectural ornament, yet chaste and graceful in all its parts. Slender pillars, a high-pitched roof, long lancet-shaped windows of narrow lights; the font near the door; the high altar in the far east - all meant to shadow forth some article of the Christian faith."
"Pratts Buchan" p.p. [pages] 92. 93. 94.
Site of CHAPEL 1766 Site of Chapel
Site of Chapel
Site of Chapel
Revd. [Reverend] A. Ranken. Old Deer.
Revd. [Reverend] Mr. Peter. Old Deer
Mr. Porter Stuartfield
021 This church has only just been removed. Dr. [Doctor] Pratt in his history of Buchan says, in speaking of the Episcopal Churches of Deer, in page 89. "The next was built in 1766, on the north bank of the river, at a short distance above the bridge, and is still standing. It is a large unsightly building, capable of accommodating about 500 worshippers. Having fallen into disrepair, and some difficulties having arisen relative to its restoration, it was abandoned, and the present ecclesiastical edifice erected in the village to supply its place."

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 78
Aberdeenshire -- Parish of Old Deer

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, June Lobban

  Location information for this page.