Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Aberdeenshire volume 10

Page List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks Continued entries/extra info
OS1/1/10/1 BOURTIE Parish of Bourtie Parish of Bourtie Parish of Bourtie Revd. [Reverend] Mr Bissett, Manse, Bourtie Mr. Hector, Mill of Collyhill Mr Alexander, Pitgaveny Statistical Account Fullarton's Gazeteer Collections of the Shires 045 ; 046 ; 055 The Parish of Bourtie is about five miles in length from East to West and about 2½ miles in breadth from North to South. It is bounded on the North by Meldrum and Daviot Parishes, on the North East by Tarves; East by Udny, South by Keith Hall and Kinkell, and on the west by Chapel of Garioch Parishes. It is in the Shire of Aberdeen & in the presbytery of Inverurie. The surface is slightly undulating and is chiefly cultivated; with the exception of one or two wooded hills, and a few small patches of moorland. The Parish Church and school are situated nearly in the centre of the Parish: the former was erected in 1806, and [Continued p.2]
OS1/1/10/1 [Page] 1 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/2 PARISH OF BOURTIE Continued [from p.1] and has accommodation for about 200 hearers. There is a portion of a sculptured standing stone built into the south wall of the church and measures about 2½ feet in length by about 1 foot in breadth. The school was erected in 1863, and is the only one in the Parish. Situated about three quarters of a mile west from the church, there stood in 1833 a low, sandy, conical tumulus of aqueous formation, and on being opened was found to contain charred bones and pieces of pottery, and a little west from the church there still exists the remains of a Druidical Circle, consisting of four huge unhewn stones. Near to the farm steading of Shelden there is another Druidical Temple in a considerable state of preservation consisting of seven huge stones. Situated near to the public road leading from Old Meldrum to Inverurie, but in the Parish of Bourtie stands "Barra Castle", in a state of good preservation. It has been converted into a farm dwelling. The exact date of this building cannot be discovered, but judging from the style of architecture, I would feel inclined to assign it a place among the Scottish Castles of the 13 Century; the Central building on a recess on the chimney bears the date of 1614. 1618. The North wing was built in the middle of last century, but the date of the Castle is earlier than either of the dates [Continued p.3]
OS1/1/10/2 [Page] 2 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/3 PARISH OF BOURTIE Parish of Bourtie Continued [from p.2] dates on the walls. This ancient edifice is the property of John Ramsay Esquire, of Shaloch. Numerous Stone Cists, Urns, and flint Arrow heads have been discovered at various times throughout the Parish. The greatest elevations in the Parish are, Lawel Hill and Barra Hill, both of which are thickly covered with fir, with the exception of about three acres on the top of Barra Hill. From the summit of this Hill an extensive view is commanded of the low Country to the North east and west: but the Circumstance of greatest interest connected with it, is the remains of an ancient intrenched Camp or fort on the Summit locally known as Cumming's Camp, surrounded by a fosse, and within this are remains of three lines of Circumvallation around the top of the Hill. The upper which is of an elliptical form keeping along the edge of the slope encloses a space of about 3 Acres or thereabouts, measuring about six Chains in length by about five in breadth, artificially levelled; but without any foundations or other trace of included buildings. The walls appear to have been chiefly composed of small stones piled up cairnwise, slopping towards both sides, without any signs of masonry. The entrance to the Camp is on the East side, where there is a [Continued p.4]
OS1/1/10/3 [Page] 3 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/4 PARISH OF BOURTIE Parish of Bourtie Continued [from p.3] a narrow inclined plane both inside and outside the Fort. The lower line consists of the remains of a low wall or dyke of stones (now moss grown) passing round the hill about half way down the sides, in the outward opening of which a pit or ditch was formed to confine the approach. Here [Earl of Buchan] Cumming with his Army fought King Robert De Bruce, 1307 and after a severe contest the former was defeated and his Army routed. Defeat of the Earl of Buchan 25th December 1307 "Buchan, having received intelligence of Bruce's Situation, assembled his vassals and marched towards Slenath; but finding the Royalists strongly posted, he did not venture to attack them. Several skirmishes however, took place, between the Archers of both Armies; and as provisions began to fail, & their enemies daily increased in numbers the Scots deemed it prudent to retire into Strathbogie. Here they remained for sometime until the King had somewhat recovered from his illness, when they returned to Inverury, as a more convenient station for procuring provisions during the winter. Upon this the Earl of Buchan, with a body of about one ... [Continued p.5]
OS1/1/10/4 [Page] 4 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/5 PARISH OF BOURTIE Parish of Bourtie Continued [from p.4] Pictorial History of Scotland page 126. one thousand men, advanced to Old Meldrum, and Sir David de Brechin pushed on to Inverury with a small party, and suddenly attacked and put to flight to a few of Bruce's soldiers at the end of the Town. Enraged at this Military affront, the King instantly rose from his litter, and called for his horse. In answer to the remonstrances of his friends, he declared that the insults of the enemy had wrought his Cure; and although so weak that he had to be supported in his saddle, he led on his troops in person, and, marching to Old Meldrum, he made a furious attack upon the Earl of Buchan, and entirely defeated his army, pursuing them for many miles with great slaughter." "Cumming's Camp" is situated about half a mile South west from Old Meldrum. Note - There is no portion of the this Parish detached, nor portion or portions of any other Parish, enclosed within the boundary thereof. [Signed] Robert Dickson Sapper R.E. [Royal Engineers]
OS1/1/10/5 [Page] 5 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/6 [Page] 6 Blank Page
OS1/1/10/7 MUIRTOWN Muirtown Muirtown Muirtown Muirton of Barra John Ramsay Esqr. Mr R. & W. Maitland. Tenants Mr Thomas Knight. Mill of Bourtie Valuation Roll 1859-60. 045 A good farm house with offices, yard, garden etc. attached the property of John Ramsay Esqr.
OS1/1/10/7 MILL OF BOURTIE Mill of Bourtie Mill of Bourtie Mill of Bourtie Valuation Roll John Ramsay Esqr. Mr Thomas Knight Tenant 045 An ordinary farm house with offices, garden etc. attached. So called from a corn Mill which formerly stood here and is the property of John Ramsay Esqr.
OS1/1/10/7 LOCHEND Lochend Lochend Lochend Valuation Roll John Ramsay Esqr. Mr Thomas Knight 045 A good farm house with offices yard, garden etc. attached the property of John Ramsay Esqr.
OS1/1/10/7 [Page] 7 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/8 [Page] 8 Parish of Bourtie Blank Page
OS1/1/10/9 GREAT NORTH OF SCOTLAND RAILWAY (Oldmeldrum Branch) Great North of Scotland Railway (Oldmeldrum Section) Great North of Scotland Railway (Oldmeldrum Section) Great North of Scotland Railway (Oldmeldrum Section) Great North of Scotland Railway (Oldmeldrum Branch) Time Tables, Bills etc. Mr Parkison Station Master Mr Robert Maitland. Muirtown Valuation Roll 1859-60 Mr Skinner, Guard 045 A branch line of the Great North of Scotland Railway, extending from Inverurie to Oldmeldrum, which is the terminus for the Conveyance of passengers, goods etc. opened for traffic in June 1855.
OS1/1/10/9 LOCHTER BURN Lochter Burn Lochter Burn Lochter Burn Mr Andrew E. Hector. Mill of Collyhill Mr Thomas Knight Mill of Bourtie Mr Robert Maitland. Muirtown 045 A small burn, well known by this name forming the parish boundary for a considerable distance and flowing in a NorthEast direction.
OS1/1/10/9 BRUPTER Brupter Brupter Brupter or Brucktor Bruxter Mrs Turnbull. Tenant Mr Andrew E. Hector Peter Duguid Esqr. Proprietor Valuation Roll 1859-60 045 A good farm house, with offices, yard, garden etc. attached, the property of Peter Duguid Esqr. of Auchlunies, MaryCulter.
OS1/1/10/9 LETHENTY STATION Lethenty Station Lethenty Station Time Tables Station Master 045 A wooden house used as a station on the Great North of Scotland Railway.
OS1/1/10/9 [Page] 9 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/10 MILL OF COLLYHILL Mill of Collyhill Mill of Collyhill Mill of Collyhill Valuation Roll 1859-60 Peter Duguid Esqr. Andrew E. Hector. Tenant 045 A good farm house recently erected with offices, yard, garden etc. attached so called from a corn mill which formerly stood here. The property of Peter Duguid Esqr.
OS1/1/10/10 BOURTIE HOUSE Bourtie House Bourtie House Bourtie House Peter Duguid Esqr. Mr A. E. Hector Mr Robert Maitland Muirtown 045 A good mansion house erected about 1758 by Peter Anderson then proprietor, having a good garden and ornamental grounds adjoining. It is now empty and is the property of Peter Duguid Esqr.
OS1/1/10/10 ROUNDHAUGH Roundhaugh Roundhaugh Roundhaugh Valuation Roll. Peter Duguid Esqr. Mr Francis Donald Tenant 045 An ordinary Cottage or Croft with outhouses, garden etc. attached known by this name, and is the property of Peter Duguid Esqr.
OS1/1/10/10 [Page] 10 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/11 Site of BATTLE between the Forces of King Robert the Bruce and the Earl of Buchan A.D. 1307 [North Mains, Bourtie] (Site of) Battle a.d. 1307 Revd. Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bissett, Manse, Bourtie Mr Walker, North Mains 046 At or about this place a battle was fought on *the 25th December 1307, between King Robert Bruce, and Comyn Earl of Buchan; in which the latter's Army was entirely routed. Barbour in his account of the battle says it was fought 22nd May 1308.
OS1/1/10/11 BRONZE CELT, TRINKETS &C FOUND HEREABOUTS A.D. 1830 [North Mains] Bronze Celt, Gold Bracelet & other Trinkets found hereabouts (about a.d. 1830) Revd. Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bissett Manse, Bourtie Mr Walker North Mains 046 When the former tenant of North Mains, about the year 1830, was improving & clearing a piece of land on his farm, he discovered a portion of a bronze celt, measuring about three inches in breadth: A Gold Bracelet, & other Trinkets were also found, supposed to have belonged to the followers of Bruce.
OS1/1/10/11 [Page] 11 Parish of Bourtie *25th December 1307. Pictorial History of Scotland.
OS1/1/10/12 [Page] 12 Blank Page
OS1/1/10/13 MEADOW BURN Meadow Burn Meadow Burn Meadow Burn Mr George Walker North Mains Mr Peter Knight Gamekeeper Mr Alexander Thomson Redhouse 046 Applies to a small stream rising near Cromlet Mill and flowing in a westerly direction for about a Mile falls into the Lochter Burn, it divides the Parish of Meldrum from Bourtie
OS1/1/10/13 [Page] 13 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/14 [Page] 14 Blank page
OS1/1/10/15 FORDALEHOUSE Fordalehouse Fordalehouse Fordalehouse Valuation Roll J. Ramsay Esqr. Proprietor James Duguid Occupier 046 Indicates the name of a farm consisting of a dwelling house, out houses and garden detached; situated on the old Co. [County] Road, at the foot of old Meldrum and a little above the boundary stream called Meadow Burn the property of J. Ramsay Esqr. of Barra. N.B. It seems the farmhouse was originally an Inn of this name, on the old County road. The Farm etc. being called after the name of the Inn.
OS1/1/10/15 [Page] 15 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/16 [Page] 16 Parish of Bourtie Blank page
OS1/1/10/17 NEWTOWN Newtown Newtown Newtown L. McKennon Esqr. Trustee for the Property William Diack Occupier James Wilson Howff of Blair 046 Is the name of a Farm consisting of a dwelling house, out houses and garden detached. The premises are situated about ¼ of a Mile S.S.E. [South South East] of where the Bourtie Parish boundary cross the Old Meldrum and Newburgh Co. [County] Road. The property of H.L.L. Morrison Esqr.* It being at present in the hands of his trustees. *of Blair, Parish of Maryculter, Kincardinshire.
OS1/1/10/17 NETHERHILL OF BLAIR Nether Hill of Blair Nether Hill of Blair Nether Hill of Blair L. McKennon Esqr. Trustee & Steward of Property William Diack Newtown James Wilson Howff of Blair 046 Is the name of a small farm consisting of a dwelling house out houses and garden detached, situated a little north of Hill of Blair, and about ½ a Mile E.N.E. [East North East] of Newtown and is a portion of the Blair Estate belonging to H.L.L. Morrison Esqr. but at present in the hands of his trustees.
OS1/1/10/17 HOWFF CROFT Howff Croft Howff Croft Howff Croft Valuation Roll William Diack Newtown James Wilson Howff of Blair 046 Is the name of a small farm consisting of a farm dwelling out houses and garden detached, situated a few yards N.W. [North West] of Netherhill of Blair farm. This is also a portion of the Blair Estate property named above.
OS1/1/10/17 [Page] 17 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/18 HOWFF OF BLAIR Howff of Blair Howff of Blair Howff of Blair Valuation Roll James Wilson Occupier William Diack Newtown 046 Indicates the name of a farm consisting of a dwelling house with out houses and garden detached, situated about ¹/₁₀ of a Mile N.N.W. [North North West] of Howff Croft farm, also abt. [about] ⅓ of a Mile E. [East] of Newtown farm, also about ⅛ of a Mile south of the Old Meldrum and Newburgh Co. [County] Road, this is also a portion of the Blair Estate.
OS1/1/10/18 STONE CIST FOUND HERE A.D. 1826 [Howff of Blair] Stone Cist found here James Wilson Farmer of [ground] Andrew Gray Netherhill of Blairs 046 By Mr James Wilson farmer of the above named farm. Measuring nearly 4 feet in length and abt. [about] 20 inches deep, and 20" [inches] wide, at ends [sketch] middle portion measuring a little more in the [girth] and it seems nothing has been found within it except a small quantity of ashes.
OS1/1/10/18 [Page] 18 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/19 WALLACE'S PUTTING STONE Wallace's Putting Stone Wallace's Putting Stone Wallace's Putting Stone Revd. Dr.[Reverend Doctor] Bissett, Manse, Bourtie Mr Alexander, Pitgaveny Mr Walker, North Mains 046 A huge mass of Serpentine rock situated on the Summit of Barra Hill, and within Cummin's Camp. The story is that Wallace threw this stone from the top of Bennachie to Barra Hill.
OS1/1/10/19 [Page] 19 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/20 [Page] 20 Parish of Bourtie Blank page
OS1/1/10/21 BLANKETS Blankets Blankets Blankets Mr G. Walker North Mains Mr. A. Thompson Redhouse Mr. Peter Wright Gamekeeper 046 Applies to an old farm steading, now made into dwelling houses situated about ¼ Mile North of Barra Hill, property of John Ramsay Esqr. of Barra
OS1/1/10/21 REDHOUSE Redhouse Redhouse Redhouse Mr G. Walker North Mains Mr. A. Thompson Redhouse Mr. Peter Wright Gamekeeper 046 Applies to a farm steading with dwelling house & garden attached situated at about ¼ Mile North east of Barra Hill, in the occupation of Mr. Alexander Thompson, property of J. Ramsay Esq. of Barra, Barra Castle
OS1/1/10/21 BARRA CASTLE Barra Castle Barra Castle Barra Castle John Ramsay Esq. Proprietor Mr George Walker North Mains Mr Peter Wright Gamekeeper 046 Applies to a very large building situated almost 1½ Miles on the road leading from Old Meldrum to Inverurie, the date of erection of this ancient building is unknown, it is now used as a dwelling house, with a large farm steading attached and property of John Ramsay Esqr. Straloch, the north wing of the Castle was built about the middle of the last Century.
OS1/1/10/21 [Page] 21 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/22 THE BRUCE FIELD The Bruce Field The Bruce Field The Bruce Field Mr George Walker North Mains Mr Peter Wright Gamekeeper Mr Alexander Thomson Redhouse 046 Applies to a field on the farm of North Mains situated about ½ Mile North West of Barra Hill, where a battle was fought on 22nd May 1308, between King Robert Bruce and Cummins, Earl of Buchan, which because of the Kings encampment at Inverurie, and his marching that morning therefrom against the enemy was called the battle of Inverurie, and in which the Cummins were defeated
OS1/1/10/22 NORTH MAINS North Mains North Mains North Mains Mr G. Walker North Mains John Ramsay Esqr. Straloch Mr Alexander Thomson Redhouse 046 Applies to a large & commodious farm steading with dwelling house & garden attached, situated about ¼ Mile North west of Barra Hill and on the road leading from Old Meldrum to Inverurie in the occupation of Mr Walker, property of John Ramsay Esqr. of Barra
OS1/1/10/22 [Page] 22 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/23 FLINT ARROWHEADS FOUND HEREABOUTS A.D. 1830 [North Mains] Flint Arrowheads found hereabouts Flint Arrowheads found hereabouts Flint Arrowheads found hereabouts Mr George Walker North Mains Mr Peter Wright Gamekeeper 046 While cultivating the ground Messrs Walker & Wright have found a number of flint arrow heads resembling the shape of a heart about the year 1830.
OS1/1/10/23 RIFLE RANGE [Barra Hill] Volunteer's Rifle Range Volunteer's Rifle Range Volunteer's Rifle Range Mr George Walker North Mains Mr Peter Wright Gamekeeper Mr Alexander Thomson Redhouse 046 Applies to a Rifle Range situated a little to the South West of Barra Hill belonging to the Old Meldrum Rifle Volunteers, and extending to a distance of 1000 Yards.
OS1/1/10/23 AIRYHILLOCK Airyhillock Airyhillock Airyhillock Mr George Walker North Mains Mr Peter Wright Gamekeeper Mr W. Alexander Airyhillock 046 Applies to a farm steading with dwelling house & garden attached situated about ¼ Mile east from Bourtie Church, the property of John Ramsay Esqr. Barra Castle.
OS1/1/10/23 [Page] 23 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/24 CUMIN'S CAMP Cummin's Camp Cummin's Camp Cumming's Camp Cumming's Camp Cummin's Camp Comyn Extract from Historical Topographic Account of North Britain, p. [page] 90. Mr Peter Wright Gamekeeper Extracts from Statistical Account of Aberdeenshire 1843 - p. [page] 620 Mr George Walker North Mains Fullarton's Gazeteer, Vol. [Volume] 1, p. [page] 189. Pictorial History of Scotland 046 Applies to an entrenched encampment situated on the top of Barra Hill, surrounded by a deep ditch, the remains of three walls or stone dykes can still be traced, the entrance to the camp is from the east. "The most remarkable of the ancient remains in the Parish of Bourtie, is the fortification on Barra Hill, known by the name of Cummings Camp, the fort occupying the flat Summit of the hill Contains fully three acres of ground and is surrounded with three nearly parallel walls of Circumvallation Composed of earth and stone. Apart from its name the Camp would be considered merely one of those hill forts which by no means rare in Scotland, are pretty numerous in the adjacent Country. Thus we have with such differences merely as arise from the nature of the accessible materials, the forts on Bennachie and the Keirhill in Skene and the Barmekyn in Echt. over [Continued p. 25]
OS1/1/10/24 [Page] 24 Parish of Bourtie CAMP N.B. This has every appearance of a Native Camp, & is not in any way similar to the Roman Camps so abundant in the Country: it is a good deal like the entrenchments on the Caterthuns in Forfarshire, and is a very entire specimen. [signed] E.H. Courtney Captn. R.E. [Captain Royal Engineers]
OS1/1/10/25 Continued Cummin's Camp [Continued from p. 24] Description Continued "They all lie in the vicinity of the Roman Iter from their Camp at Devenham (Norman dikes in Peterculter) to that ad Ituriam (Glemnailen in Forgue) towards the Catha alata on the Moray Frith - It is not probable then that as these forts flank on either side the line of the Roman progress Northwards, they were erected by the then inhabitants of the Country (the Faixali) as places of refuge for themselves and their families, from which Sallying forth they might engage in a Guerilla warfare with their haughty invaders. The tradition which gives the building of this Camp to the Cummings is evidently fabulous for to it their age affords nil vel simile aut secundum. That it was even occupied by them previous to their battle with Bruce, the accounts of that battle whether by Hector Boece or by Barbour seem to render very doubtful, Barbour's account of the battle, which is the most authentic is here subjoined. over [Continued p. 26]
OS1/1/10/25 [Page] 25 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/26 CUMMINS CAMP [Continued from p. 25] Contd. [Continued] Cummins Camp (Remains of) 046 Description Contd. [Continued] It was fought on 22nd May 1308 and from Barbours account however, and from other circumstances there is no reasonable doubt, that the scence of the Conflict was a level field lying immediately under the Hill of Barra, called at this day "The Bruce Field" which though now levelled by the plough, Contained until very lately a number of elliptical entrenchments.
OS1/1/10/26 [WALLS (Remains of) ] Not to be written on Plan Walls (Remains of) Mr George Walker North Mains Revd. Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bisset Manse Mr A. Duncan Old Meldrum 046 Applies to three walls around the fort, they appear to have been built of small stones & earth, but are now all grown over with grass & heather.
OS1/1/10/26 [DITCH (Remains of)] Not to be written on Plan Ditch (Remains of) Revd. Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bisset Manse Mr George Walker North Mains Mr A. Duncan Old Meldrum 046 Applies to a ditch surrounding the above fort - about 4 or 5 feet in depth but apparently has once been deeper
OS1/1/10/26 [Page] 26 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/27 FORDALEHOUSE WOOD Fordalehouse Wood Fordalehouse Wood Fordalehouse Wood Mr James Duguid Fordalehouse Mr William Duncan Woodside Mr Robert Smith Greenford 046 Is the name of a large plantation situated about 1½ M [Miles] S.S.E. [South South East] of OldMeldrum and so owed its name from a farm of the same name, which is supposed to have been originally the name of an Inn at that place on the old County road - The property of J. Ramsay Esqr. of Barra
OS1/1/10/27 MOSSEYE Mosseye Mosseye Mosseye Valuation Roll Laughlin McKinnon Esqr. Trustee etc. George Wilson Occupier 046 Is the name of a small farm consisting of a dwelling house with outhouses and garden detached Situated a little W. [West] of a by road, and a little less than ½ a Mile N.E. [North East] of the 16 Mile Stone of the Aberdeen County road. This is a portion of the property of the Blair Estate.
OS1/1/10/27 [Page] 27 Parish of Bourtie FORESTER'S COTTAGE [Crossed out]
OS1/1/10/28 FLINT ARROWHEAD FOUND HERE A.D. 1830 [Backhill] Arrowhead (flint) found here Arrowhead (flint) found here Arrowhead (flint) found here George Wilson Farmer of district John Donald Farmer Backhill A. Crookshank Farmer etc. Longside 046 found by the said Mr George Wilson abt. [about] 1830 4 years since whilst tilling and improving the land (this [Sketch]) abt. [about] 1' [1 inch] in length.
OS1/1/10/28 FLINT ARROWHEADS FOUND HEREABOUTS [Backhill] Arrow heads (flint) from hereabouts Arrow heads (flint) from hereabouts Arrow heads (flint) from hereabouts George Wilson Farmer of district John Donald Farmer Backhill A. Crookshank Farmer etc. Longside 046 found by Mr Wilson whilst tiling and improving the land at different periods (some two or three in number) and of a similar outline to those that are so frequently found in the neighbouring parishes. Viz. yellowish flint thickish in the middle and thinly edged and projecting longitudinal into a sharp point and with three thin and sharp teeth projecting (thus [sketch]) from the base -
OS1/1/10/28 BACKHILL Backhill Backhill Backhill Valuation Roll John Donald Occupier George Wilson Farmer Mosseye 046 Is the name of a goodly sized farm consisting of a farm dwelling out houses and garden, situated abt. [about] ⅛ of a Mile E.S.E. [East South East] of the 16 Mile Stone of the Aberdeen County road. The property of H.L.L. Morrison Esqr. and at present in the hands of his trustees.
OS1/1/10/28 [Page] 28 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/29 CROCKART HILL Crockart Hill Crockart Hill Crockart Hill Mr William Duncan Woodside Mr John Donald Farmer Backhill Mr George Wilson Farmer Mosseye 046 Is the name of a conspicuous range of arable land situated near the S.E. [South East] edge of Fordalehouse Plantation and on the farm of Woodside, occupied by Mr. Duncan. The property of J. Ramsay Esqr. of Barra.
OS1/1/10/29 WOODSIDE Woodside Woodside Woodside Valuation Roll Mr William Duncan Occupier Mr John Donald Farmer Blackhill 046 Is the name of a small farm Consisting of a dwelling house and out houses situated at the north East edge of Fordalehouse Plantation, occupied by Mr William Duncan. The property of J. Ramsay Esqr. of Barra
OS1/1/10/29 GREENFORD Greenford Greenford Greenford Valuation Roll Mr Robert Smith Occupier Mr William Duncan Woodside 046 Is the name of a farm consisting of a dwelling with outhouses and garden detached Situated about ¼ of a Mile S. [South] of Woodside farm. The property of H.L.L. Morrison Esqr. and at present in the hands of his trustees -
OS1/1/10/29 [Page] 29 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/30 LONGSIDE Longside Longside Longside Valuation Roll Mr A. Crookshank occupiers Mr John Donand Farmer Backhill 046 Is the name of a farm consisting of a dwelling house with out houses and garden. Situated abt. [about] ½ a mile N.E. [North East] of the 16 Mile Stone of the Aberdeen Co. [County] Road. The property of H.L.L. Morrison Esqr. At present in the hands of his trustees.
OS1/1/10/30 [Page] 30 Parish of Bourtie LONGSIDE WOODS [Crossed out]
OS1/1/10/31 BLAIR Blair Blair Blair Nether Blair Laughlin McKinnon Esqr. Factor Mr Robert Reid. Tenant Mr Alexander Gray. Hill of Blair Valuation Roll 1859-60 046 An ordinary farm house with offices garden etc. attached the property of Harry L.L. Morrison Esqr.
OS1/1/10/31 BRONY BRIDGE Brony Bridge Brony Bridge Brony Bridge Mr Robert Reid Mr Alexander Gray Mr James Innes. Blair Croft 046 A small stone bridge of one arch accross the Brony Burn. Known by this name
OS1/1/10/31 BRONY BURN Brony Burn Brony Burn Brony Burn Mr Robert Reid Mr Alexander Gray Mr James Innes 046 A small burn Known by this name flowing in a North East - direction, and forming the Parish boundary for a considerable distance till Brony Bridge where it flows into Udny Parish.
OS1/1/10/31 [Page] 31 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/32 HILL OF BLAIR Hill of Blair Hill of Blair Hill of Blair Valuation Roll 1859-60 Laughlin McKinnon Esqr. (Factor) 7 Union Street Aberdeen Mr Alexander Gray. Tenant 046 An ordinary farm house with offices garden etc. attached the property of Harry L.L. Morrison Esqr. Blair, Maryculter Kincardinshire
OS1/1/10/32 PADDOCHHA' Paddochha' Paddochha' Paddochha' Valuation Roll L. McKinnon Esqr. Union St. Aberdeen Mr John Donald Tenant 046 An ordinary farm house with offices, garden etc. attached. Known by this name. the property of Harry L.L. Morrison Esqr. Blair, Maryculter Kincardinshire
OS1/1/10/32 NETHER KING-GOODIE Nether King-goodie Nether King-goodie Nether King-goodie King-goodie L. McKinnon Esqr. Union St. Aberdeen Mr Alexander Couper. Tenant Mr John Donald. Valuation Roll 046 An ordinary farm house with offices, yard, garden etc. attached the property of Hary L.L. Morrison Esqr. Blair, Maryculter Kincardinshire
OS1/1/10/32 [Page] 32 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/33 BLAIR CROFT Blair Croft Blair Croft Blair Croft Croft of Blair Mr James Innes. Tenant Mr Robert Reid. Blair Rent Receipt Valuation Roll 1859-60 046 An ordinary Cottage or Croft, So Called, with outhouses, garden etc. attached, also a few acres of land. the property of Harry L.L. Morrison Esqr. Blair, Maryculter Kincardinshire
OS1/1/10/33 KING-GOODIE King-goodie King-goodie King-goodie Mill of King-goodie Mr William Milne. Tenant Mr Robert Reid Mr James Innes Valuation Roll 046 A good farm house with offices yard, garden etc. attached. Known by this name the property of Harry L.L. Morrison Esqr. Blair, Maryculter, Kincardinshire
OS1/1/10/33 MILL OF KING-GOODIE Mill of King-goodie Mill of King-goodie Mill of King-goodie Croft of King-goodie Mill etc. Mr Alexander Gray. Tenant Mr William Milne Mr Robert Reid Valuation Roll 046 An ordinary corn mill driven by water power, with Kiln etc. attached the property of Harry L.L. Morrison Esqr. Blair, Maryculter Kincardinshire
OS1/1/10/33 [Page] 33 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/34 [Page] 34 Parish of Bourtie Blank page
OS1/1/10/35 HILLHEAD Hillhead Hillhead Hillhead John Ramsay Esq. of Barra Mr Innes Lumsden Occupier Revd Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bisset Manse 046 A farmsteading consisting of dwelling house and commodious offices situated about ¾ of a Mile West from the Church
OS1/1/10/35 SMITHY CROFT Smithy Croft Smithy Croft Smithy Croft Valuation Roll Mr William Bonnar Occupier Mr John Anderson Old Bourtie 046 A farmsteading consisting of a dwelling house and garden and commodious offices. The property of Peter Duguid Esq Auchlunies.
OS1/1/10/35 Site of TUMULUS [Kirktown of Bourtie] Site of Tumulus. Site of Tumulus. Revd Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bisset Manse of Bourtie Mr George Alexander Pitgavenny Mr Innes Lumsden Hillhead 046 In the year 1833 there stood at this spot a large Circular Mound of earth about 4 feet in height, on being opened it was found to contain large quantities of Charred bones and broken pottery, there was also a number of large boulders place round the Mound at short distances from each other.
OS1/1/10/35 [Page] 35 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/36 STONE CIRCLE (Remains of) [Kirktown of Bourtie] Remains of Stone Circle Remains of Stone Circle Revd Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bisset Manse Mr G. Alexander Pitgaveny Mr Innes Lumsden Hillhead 046 This Circle Consists in its present state of four very large stones three of them standing and one fallen, they vary in size from 6 to 14 feet in height and about 3 feet in thickness. No one the Parish remembers having seen it in any other Condition than at present, excepting that it was at one time rudely paved.
OS1/1/10/36 KIRKTOWN OF BOURTIE Kirktown Kirktown Kirktown Revd Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bisset Mr J. Mearns SchoolMaster Mr Milne Kirktown farm. 046 This Name applies to the Church Manse School, School Masters house two Cottars houses and a large farm Which form a small hamlet Known as the Kirktown.
OS1/1/10/36 [Page] 36 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/37 CHURCH [Kirktown of Bourtie] Church Church Church Revd Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bisset Minister Mr G. Alexander Pitgaveny Mr Milne Kirktown 046 A small, extremely plain building erected A.D. 1806, it is situated near to the centre of the Parish and can accommodate 200 persons. It is surrounded by a well kept burial ground, leaning against the east wall are two rudely carved figures representing a Knight in Armour, and his Dame. They are said to have occupied a place in the old Church but when it was erected cannot be ascertained the present one is built on the site of it .
OS1/1/10/37 [Page] 37 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/38 MANSE [Kirktown of Bourtie] Manse Manse Manse Revd Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bisset Minister Mr J. Mearns Schoolmaster Mr Milne Farmer Kirktown 046 A large substantial dwellinghouse with garden and ornamental ground attached, the residence of the Revd Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bisset Minister of the Parish, it is pleasantly situated on a rising ground a short distance north of the Church.
OS1/1/10/38 SCHOOL [Kirktown of Bourtie] School School School Revd Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bisset Mr J. Mearns School Master 046 A neat plain building erected by the heritors of the Parish A.D. 1863. There is a dwellinghouse for the School Master attached; the attendance at School will average about 60.
OS1/1/10/38 [Page] 38 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/39 LAWEL HILL Lawel Hill Lawel Hill Lawel Hill John MacKenzie Esqr. of Glack Mr A. Cassie Lawelside Mr Robert Robertson Windyedge 046 A conspicuous wooded hill situated about half a mile south from the Church of Bourtie.
OS1/1/10/39 LAWELSIDE Lawelside Lawelside Lawelside Valuation Roll Mr A. Cassie Occupier Mr Booth Habbershaw 046 A farmsteading consisting of dwellinghouse garden & offices Situated on the South side of Lawel Hill. The property of John MacKenzie Esq. Glack.
OS1/1/10/39 [Page] 39 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/40 LONGFOLDS Longfolds Longfolds Longfolds Valuation Roll P Duguid Esq Auchlunies Mr Alexander Cassie Lawelside 046 A farmsteading consisting of dwelling house garden & offices the property of P. Duguid Esq.
OS1/1/10/40 SUNNYBRAE Sunnybrae Sunnybrae Sunnybrae Valuation Roll P. Duguid Esq. Mr. A Cassie Lawelside 046 A farmsteading consisting of dwellinghouse garden & offices. The property of P. Duguid Esq.
OS1/1/10/40 LAWELHILL Windyedge Windyedge Windyedge Lawelhill Lawelhill Revd. Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bisset Manse Mr Robert Robertson Occupier Mr A. Cassie Lawelside Valuation Roll John MacKenzie Esq. of Glack Proprietor 046 A small Croft consisting of dwellinghouse & garden a short distance North of Lawelside farm, Windyedge is the most popular name in the neighbourhood.
OS1/1/10/40 [Page] 40 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/41 SHADOWSIDE Shadowside Shadowside Shadowside Valuation Roll Mr J. Rae Occupier Mr A. Jackson. Hillbrae 046 A farmsteading consisting of dwelling house with garden and commodious offices attached, the property of Peter Duguid Esq. of Auchlunies.
OS1/1/10/41 OLD BOURTIE Old Bourtie Old Bourtie Old Bourtie P. Duguid Esq. Proprietor Mr John Anderson Occupier Mr A. Jackson. Hillbrae 046 A small farmsteading consisting of dwelling house garden & offices attached, the property of P. Duguid Eqr.
OS1/1/10/41 HILLBRAE Hillbrae Hillbrae Hillbrae Valuation Roll Mr A. Jackson Occupier Mr John Anderson Old Bourtie 046 A farmsteading consisting of firstrate dwellinghouse, with garden and commodious offices, the property of P. Duguid Esqr.
OS1/1/10/41 HAWK LAW Hawk Law Hawk Law Hawk Law Mr A. Jackson Rev. Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bissett Mr John Anderson 046 Applies to a small Knoll on which stood about the year 1833, a low, sandy conical tumulus of Agneous formation. "The largest of these Cairns, raised on An eminence called the Hawklaw, originally covered nearly half an acre, & was surrounded with a circle of small stones set on end." Statistical Account p.622.
OS1/1/10/41 [Page] 41 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/42 SCULPTURED STONE [church, Kirktown of Bourtie] Sculptured Stone Sculptured Stone Sculptured Stone Rev. Dr. [Reverend Doctor] Bisset Mr Milne Kirktown Mr J. Lumsden Hillhead 046 In the south wall of the church near the roof on the east side, there is built a curiously carved stone, it is about 30 inches long by about 12 broad. It was discovered in its present position about 10 years ago by a man who was employed in the grave yard lettering tombstones.
OS1/1/10/42 [Page] 42 Parish of Bourtie [Sketch] About 2 Feet. About 1ft. 2 inches
OS1/1/10/43 BARRIEDALE MOSS Barriedale Moss Barriedale Moss Burriedale Moss Mr James Spence Milltown Mr John McGregor Blockhouse Mr Peter Alexander Pitgaveny 046 Is the name of a large Peat Moss at the South boundary of the parish and adjoining the parishes of Udney Keithhall etc.
OS1/1/10/43 STONE CIST FOUND HERE A.D. 1820 [Barriedale Moss] Stone Cist found here Stone Cist found here Mr John Middloeton Shelden Mr John McGregor Blockhouse 046 About the year 1820 a Stone Cist was discovered situated within a Druidical Circle. The Cist measured between 3 & 4 feet in length by about 20 inches in Width, & about 1½ feet in depth. It was lying East & West & Contained Ashes & Unctuous matter.
OS1/1/10/43 [Page] 43 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/44 [Page] 44 Parish of Bourtie Blank page
OS1/1/10/45 PITGAVENY WOOD Pitgaveny Wood Pitgaveny Wood Pitgaveny Wood Mr Robert Smith Backhill Mr A. Taylor Cromliebrae Mr John Middleton Shelden 046 Indicates the name of a plantation situated upon the Summit of a hill, Isolated from Lawelhill Wood or plantation, and one field north of it. The property of John McKenzie Esqr.
OS1/1/10/45 WOODSIDE OF PITGAVENY Woodside or Woodside of Pitgaveny Woodside or Woodside of Pitgaveny Woodside or Woodside of Pitgaveny Valuation Roll Mr P. Alexander Pitgaveny Mr A. Taylor Cromliebrae 046 Indicates the name of a farm Consisting of a dwelling house with out houses and garden, situated abt. [about] 1/20 of a Mile or 4 Chains N.E. [North East] of Pitgaveny Wood, the property of John McKenzie Esqr.
OS1/1/10/45 MAINS OF THORNTON Mains of Thornton Mains of Thornton Mains of Thornton Valuation Roll Mr P. Alexander Pitgaveny Mr A. Taylor Cromliebrae 046 Indicates the name of a farm consisting of a plainly built Country house of three stories, with first class office houses detached, also with an ancient garden in front of the dwelling house and is supposed to have been originally the seat of a small landed proprietor. Now the property of John McKenzie Esqr.
OS1/1/10/45 [Page] 45 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/46 BACKHILL Backhill Backhill Backhill Valuation Roll Mr Robert Smith Occupier Mr John Middleton Shelden 046 Indicates the name of a farm consisting of a dwelling house with out houses and garden detached, all good and of modern erection, situated about a ¼ of a Mile N.E. [North East] of Pitgaveny Wood. The property of John McKenzie Esqr. and of the Thornton Estate
OS1/1/10/46 COT-TOWN Cottown Cottown Cottown Valuation Roll Mr Robert Smith Backhill Mr Alexander Taylor Cromliebrae 046 Is the name of a Small Croft consisting of a dwelling house with out houses and the district Smithy, but it is expected that new houses will shortly be erected on the same foundation, by the proprietor John McKenzie Esqr.
OS1/1/10/46 CROMLIEBRAE Cromliebrae Cromliebrae Cromliebrae Valuation Roll Mr Alexander Taylor Occupier Mr Robert Smith Backhill 046 Is the name of a Croft or small farm consisting of a dwelling, outhouse and gardens etc. The property of John McKenzie Esqr. and situated a little E. [East] of Pitgaveny Wood.
OS1/1/10/46 [Page] 46 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/47 SHELDEN Shelden Shelden Shelden Valuation Roll Mr John Middleton Occupier Mr Alexander Wright Hillhead 046 Is the name of a farm consisting of dwelling house and out houses which are at present in the progress of building situated a little under ¼ of a Mile N.N.E. [North North East] of the Mains of Thornton. The property of John McKenzie Esqr.
OS1/1/10/47 HILLHEAD Hillhead Hillhead Hillhead Valuation Roll Mr Alexander Wright Occupier Mr John Middleton Shelden 046 Is the name of a small farm consisting of a dwelling house with out houses and gardens. Situated a little West of Shelden farm. The property of John McKenzie Esqr.
OS1/1/10/47 STONE CISTS AND HUMAN REMAINS FOUND HERE A.D. 1820 [Hillhead] Stone Cists and human bones found here Stone Cists and human bones found here Stone Cists and human bones found here Mr Alexander Wright Hillhead Mr John Middleton Shelden Mr George Wilson Mosseye 046 These relics consisted of two Stone Cists each measuring abt. [about] 4 feet in length and abt. [about] 20 inches in depth and the same in breadth at the ends (thus [sketch]) with human bones, found in each. The date on which they were discovered I could not exactly ascertain but Mr Wright who witnessed them thinks it is about 45 or 50 years ago. They were discovered whilst digging for gravel for improving the old Road which passes by the spot, a portion is still visible of one of the Coffin Slabs among the rubbish or refuse, on the same side of the road and abt. [about] 3 Chains below where they were discovered.
OS1/1/10/47 [Page] 47 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/48 STONE CIRCLE (Remains of) [Shelden] Stone Circle (remains of) Stone Circle (remains of) Stone Circle (remains of) Mr John Middleton Occupier Mr Alexander Wright Hillhead Mr George Wilson Mosseye 046 Consisting of 7 Stones, 4 of which are still standing, the other ones are partially projecting two or three of the largest of these measures abt. [about] 7 feet above the surface and from 2 to 3 feet in thickness and from 3 to 4 feet in breadth and seems to bear a similar proportion under the surface, and some of which seems to be seated at least 5 feet below the surface. These huge blocks are of a superior granite, and it is held questionable where these were taken from. It is said however that no such quality of granite is to be found in the parish or within many miles of the spot, no inscription or mark is visible on any of them. It is said that much longer blocks were cut up and carried away for building purposes - In the same place was a Cairn or an enormous quantity of boulders heaped together but the greatest portion of which was carried away for wall building and drainage purposes, and in one portion of which a stone Coffin containing ashes was discovered. The above is also known by the name Temple (Druidical) in the neighbourhood.
OS1/1/10/48 HUMAN REMAINS FOUND HERE A.D. 1820 [Shelden] (Human Bones found here) (Human Bones found here) (Human Bones found here) Mr John Temple Shelden Mr Alexander Wright Hillhead Mr A. Taylor Cromliebrae 046 discovered by Mr John Temple whilst digging and improving the land. Situated about 10 yards E. [East] of Stone Circle on Shelden farm found as other relic with those human remains.
OS1/1/10/48 [Page] 48 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/49 PITGAVENY Pitgaveny Pitgaveny Pitgaveny Valuation Roll Mr Peter Alexander Occupier Mr Alexander Wright Hillhead 046 Indicates the name of a largish farm Consisting of a tolerable good dwelling house with garden and a Commodious range of out offices detached, situated a little over ¼ of a Mile E. [East] of Lawelhill Wood. The property of John McKenzie Esqr.
OS1/1/10/49 URN FOUND HERE A.D. 1837 [Pitgaveny] Urn found here Urn found here Urn found here Mr Peter Alexander farmer of Girvan Mr A. Taylor Cromliebrae Mr Alexander Wright Hillhead 046 by Mr Alexander the farmer whilst digging for gravel. The Urn seems to have stood a few feet under the surface, covered with a thin flag upon the mouth or Top and was made of pottery clay and seems to have contained charcoal or ashes but the Urn was accidentally broken to bits before it was discovered by the party.
OS1/1/10/49 STONE CIST FOUND HERE A.D. 1837 [Pitgaveny] Stone Cist found here Stone Cist found here Stone Cist found here Mr Alexander Pitgaveny Mr A. Taylor Cromliebrae Mr Alexander Wright Hillhead 046 discovered in 1837 by Mr Peter Alexander, whilst tiling and improving the land. The Cist measuring about 30 inches long and 20 inches broad with as many in depth and some 2 feet under surface, situated immediately North of a stone wall and upwards of ½ a Chain E. [East] of Pitgaveny Stock yard.
OS1/1/10/49 [Page] 49 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/50 BLOCKHOUSE Blockhouse Blockhouse Blockhouse Valuation Roll Mr John McGregor Occupier Mr James Spence Milltown 046 Indicates the name of a farm consisting of a dwelling house with garden and out houses detached, situated about ½ of a Mile N. [North] of where Keithall or Keith Hall Parish leaves the parish boundary also ¼ of a Mile north of Milltown. The property of Henry Leith Lumsden Morrison Esqr. but at present in the hands of his trustees.
OS1/1/10/50 MILLTOWN Milltown Milltown Milltown Mr James Spence Occupier Mr John McGregor Blockhouse Mr Peter Alexander Pitgaveny 046 Is the name of a farm the premises being newly built consisting of a neat dwelling house with good offices and garden detached, situated in the S.E. [South East] angle of the parish and a little north of where the Parish of Keith Hall joins the parish boundary. The property of John McKenzie Esqr.
OS1/1/10/50 [Page] 50 Parish of Bourtie BRONY BURN [Crossed out]
OS1/1/10/51 LITTLE HILLBRAE Little Hillbrae Little Hillbrae Little Hillbrae Valuation Roll Mr A. Jackson Occupier Mr G. Frazer East Hillbrae 055 A farmsteading consisting of dwelling house garden & offices property of P. Duguid Esqr Auchlunies.
OS1/1/10/51 EAST HILLBRAE East Hillbrae East Hillbrae East Hillbrae Mr G. Frazer Occupier Mr A. Jackson Hillbrae & Little Hillbrae Mr A. Cassie Lawelside 055 A small farmsteading consisting of dwelling house garden, barn etc., a short distance North east from Little Hillbrae.
OS1/1/10/51 HABBERSHAW Habbershaw Habbershaw Habbershaw P. Duguid Esqr Auchlunies Mr Booth Occupier Mr A Cassie Lawelside 055 A small farmsteading consisting of dwellinghouse garden & offices the property of Peter Duguid Esqr. Auchlunies.
OS1/1/10/51 [Page] 51 Parish of Bourtie
OS1/1/10/52 OS1/1/10 PAGES 52 to 59 ARE BLANK
OS1/1/10/60 [Page] 60 Parish of Bourtie [Signed] E.H Courtney Captn. R.E. [Captain Royal Engineers] 30th June 1867
OS1/1/10/61 OS/1/1/10 [Page] 61 NAME BOOK of the PARISH OF BOURTIE Co. [County] ABERDEEN [Stamped] ORDNANCE SURVEY M.S. OFFICE SOUTHAMPTON 11 APRIL 95 [1895]
OS1/1/10/62 [Page] 62 Index Bourtie Parish Aberdeenshire Names -- Pages Airyhillock -- 23 Bourtie -- 1 Brupter -- 9 Bourtie House -- 10 Bronze Celt, Trinkets etc. found hereabout -- 11 Blankets -- 21 Barra Castle -- 21 Backhill -- 28 Blair -- 31 Brony Bridge -- 31 Brony Burn -- 31 Blair Croft -- 33 Barriedale Moss -- 43 Backhill -- 46 Blockhouse -- 50 Camp -- 24 Crockart Hill -- 29 Church -- 37 Cot-town -- 46 Cromliebrae -- 46 East Hillbrae -- 51 Fordalehouse -- 15 Flint Arrowheads found hereabout -- 23 Fordalehouse Wood -- 27 Flint Arrowheads found here -- 28 Flint arrowhead found hereabout -- 28 Great North of Scotland Railway (Oldmeldrum Branch) -- 9 Greenford -- 29 Howff Croft -- 17 Howff of Blair -- 18 Hill of Blair -- 32 Hillhead -- 35 Hillbrae -- 41 Hawk Law -- 41 Hillhead -- 47 Human remains found here -- 48 Habbershaw -- 51 King-goodie -- 33 Kinktown -- 36 Lochend -- 7 Lochter Burn -- 9 Longside -- 30 Lawel Hill -- 39 Lawelside -- 39 Longfolds -- 40 Lawelhill -- 40 Little Hillbrae -- 51 Lethenty Station -- 9 Muirtown -- 7 Mill of Bourtie -- 7 Mill of Collyhill -- 10 Meadow Burn -- 13 Mosseye -- 27 Mill of King-goodie -- 33 Manse -- 38 Mains of Thornlon -- 45 Milltown -- 50 Newtown -- 17 Netherhill of Blair -- 17 North Mains -- 22 Nether King-goodie -- 32 Old Bourtie -- 41 Paddochha' -- 32 Pitgaveny Wood -- 45 Pitgaveny -- 49 Roundhaugh -- 10 Redhouse -- 21 Rifle Range -- 23 Site of Battle -- 11 Stone Cist found here -- 18 Smithy Croft -- 35 Site of Tumulus -- 35 Stone Circle (Remains of) -- 36 School -- 38 Sunnybrae -- 40 Shadowside -- 41 Sculptured stone -- 42 Stone Cist found here -- 43 Sheldon -- 47 Stone Cist and Human Remains found here -- 47 Stone Circle (Remains of) -- 48 Stone Cist found here -- 49
OS1/1/10/63 [Page] 63 Index Continued Names -- Pages The Bruce Field -- 22 Urn found here -- 49 Wallace's Putting Stone -- 19 Woodside -- 29 Woodside of Pitgaveny -- 45