Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

Map Of West Lothian

RHP---12424-00001-
You may copy, display, store and make derivative works for personal use or use solely within an educational institution by staff and students, under these conditions: the ScotlandsPlaces website is attributed, there is no commercial use or sale, and no public distribution (for example, by hand, email, or web). Full licence details.

Details

Organisation: The National Records of Scotland (NRS)

Site ID: RHP12424

Date: Early 18th century

Description: 'A Map of West Lothian: Survey'd by Mr. J. Adair.' By John Adair, surveyor. Richard Cooper, publisher.
Scale in miles. 510 x 670 mm. Engraving.
Map of West Lothian, dedicated to John, Earl of Stair. Features include shore detail, ships, compass rose, rivers, bridges, moor, trees; detail of estates [including Hopetoun House], ecclesiastical buildings, and placenames. Relief shown pictorially. Vignette of ships and mythological figures. This map was engraved by Richard Cooper in Edinburgh in the early 18th century. It is copied from a survey by John Adair (c.1660 - 1718). Attached - bookseller's valuation, early 20th cent.

Archival history: Records of Linlithgow Burgh (B48)

Coordinates: 302222, 670677