dumfries-1920/04-226

Transcription

KIRKPATRICK-] HISTORICAL MONUMENTS (SCOTLAND) COMMISSION. [-JUXTA.

right is the now disused newel stair. The
windows on the ground floor are looped for
musketry. The ground floor to the south of
the partition is used as a byre, with an
entrance slapped through the south wall.
The building has been recently re-pointed
and is in a fairly satisfactory state of pre-
servation.
Lochhouse was a residence of the John-
stones of Corehead (New Stat. Acct., iv. pp.
127, 133). " James Jonstoune of Lochehous "
is noticed in 1609 (Buccleuch MSS., p. 31).
It was the property of James Johnstone of
Corehead in the middle of the 17th century
(Reg. Mag. Sig., s.d.).
xvi. S.E. 15 May 1912.

DEFENSIVE CONSTRUCTIONS.

389. Fort, Holehouse Linn. - This fort rests
on the edge of a precipitous bank which, with
a height of from 60 to 80 feet, forms the
south side of the woody dell down which there
flows the Bushel Beck Burn, forming the
boundary between the parishes of Kirk-
patrick-Juxta and Moffat. Its elevation is
some 650 feet above sea-level. The region
in which it is situated is one of billowy ridges
and hillocks, dropping gradually to the valley
of the Annan, the fort itself occupying a
small level plateau, separated on the west and
south-west from rapidly mounting heights by
a natural hollow and protected on the east
by a steepish declivity.
The enceinte is an irregular semi-circle, sur-
rounded, except along the edge of the ravine,
by a massive grass-grown but stony mound.
The elevation of this mound is increased on
the inside by the excavation of the ground in
rear of it, giving it a height of some 4 feet,
while on the exterior it appears to have been
raised some 4 to 5 feet, attaining to a height
of some 6 or 7 feet above the bottom of
the natural hollow. On the west, towards the
edge of the glen where the foreground has been
higher the rampart has been covered by a
trench with an artificial mound forming the
counterscarp. The interior has a chord of
164 feet and a bisectional diameter of 135 feet.
About two-thirds around the periphery from
the west end, and facing the south-east, there
is a well-defined entrance some 6 to 7
feet wide, carried up from the trench-like
hollow in front and passing by a covered way
into the interior, flanked on the west by a
slight inward return of the rampart on that
side. It opens on to the lowest part of the
interior, a somewhat circular area about
40 feet in diameter with higher ground
around it. Against the edge of the bank, at
the back of the enceinte, are the remains of a
rude circular enclosure, measuring interiorly
some 16 feet by 15 feet and surrounded by a
wall some 2 feet in thickness, which has been
formed of rather small stones and is probably
secondary. Just beyond the rampart, towards
the south-west, there appears to be a spring.
ix. S.W. 13 September 1912.

390. Fort, Campknowe, Gardenholm. - On
the east side of the road from Moffat to Edin-
burgh, and 150 yards or thereby to the north
of the glen that runs down to the farm of
Gardenholm, are the remains of a fort sub-
oval in form, with its longest axis east and west
and measuring interiorly 154 feet by 147 feet.
It occupies a spur known as Camp Knowe,
projecting from the west wall of the Annan
valley, and lies at an altitude of 700 feet over
sea-level and 300 feet above the bottom of
the dale. The road has obliterated whatever
defences may have formerly existed towards
the higher ground on the west, and around
the rest of the periphery a low stony mound
is only just recognisable.
The interior has not been levelled, but rises
towards the east, overlooking the valley to a
height of 5 or 6 feet above the floor-level to
the west, where there has been considerable
hollowing by excavation. On the north-west
a hollow in rear of the rampart suggests the
site of a hut, and there are one or two similarly
suggestive hollows on the sides of the higher
ground. The entrance appears to have been
from the north.
xvi. N.W. 13 September 1912.

391. Fort, Gardenholm. - On the right bank
of the Annan, about 1/3 mile below Gardenholm,
are the remains of a small fort. Its site is a
slight promontory formed on the river bank
by the bed of a stream flowing into the Annan
on the north and by a trench-like hollow
opening across the face of the bank on the
south. The elevation above the river is some
12 to 15 feet and above the burn a few

[Page] 134

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, mikeh

  Location information for this page.

We're working hard to make our services better for you. While we're doing some essential maintenance, this website – or parts of it – might be intermittently unavailable at times between Monday 18 – Monday 25 November. Thank you for your patience.