relief as follows :- In the centre, occupying
almost the entire depth by 1 foot in breadth,
is a shield bearing arms: A lion rampant
within a bordure flory counter-flory, the Royal
Arms of Scotland: on the dexter side a holly
leaf, and beyond it a saltire: on the sinister
side, at the extreme end, in Gothic form, the
letters A.B., separated by a scroll or reversed
S. The top of the shield, hidden by the iron
gutter at the edge of the cottage roof, is partly
damaged on the sinister side.
This stone is said to have been found in 1783,
underground, in the remains of an ancient
building at Westside, on the Black Esk, in the
parish of Eskdalemuir, and in that year it was
transferred to Berryscaur and used as a lintel.
The saltire and holly leaf are respectively the
arms and badge of the Lords Maxwell; the
letters A.B. are probably the initials of a
member of the Beatty family, one of whom,
in 1532, was King's sergeant and officer in
Eskdale. On the map of 1590 the tower of
Ally Battie is marked at a place correspond-
ing with Westside, and the O.S. map marks
a spot as "Sergeant Know," within 2 miles
of it.
xxxiv. S.W. 12 August 1912.

309. Gravestone, Corrie Churchyard. - At
the north-east angle of Corrie Churchyard,
outside a railed enclosure, which forms the
burial-place of the Grahams of Dunnabie, is an
upright slab commemorating PETER GRAHAM
21ST 1753 AGED 12 YEARS. On the front
is a figure of a man dressed in a long skirted
coat with deep cuffs, holding in his right hand
a crown and in his left a sceptre. On his
left a skeleton stands on a skull grasping a
spear in his left hand. Above the man's
head is an hour-glass, and at the apex of the
stone an angel with outspread wings.
xxxiv. S.E. 26 July 1912.

310. Cross-slab, Corrie Old Churchyard. -
On a mound in the centre of the churchyard,
evidently covering the ruins of the old
church, lies a squared block of sandstone,
measuring 6 feet 5 1/2 inches in length, 9 inches
in thickness, 1 foot 11 inches in breadth at
the head, diminishing to 1 foot 6 inches at
the foot, whereon is carved a foliated cross
in the form of a cross-potent with a lozenge-
shaped boss in the centre, having a long
shaft set on a calvary mound. A broad-
bladed symmetrically pointed sword is incised
on one side of the shaft, the handle of which
is entirely worn away. The cross is carved
in relief, but is much weathered. The edge
of the stone has a border of projecting dog-
toothed bosses, 6 inches apart, rising from
a 4-inch chamfer, the interspaces on the
chamfer decorated with a leaf-and-bead
xliii. S.E. 6 August 1912.


The O.S. maps indicate sites as under :-
311. Corrie Church, Corriehills. xliii. S.E.
312. Chapel, near Carterton. xxxiv. S.E.
313. "Mosskesso," about 500 yards north-east of Closs. xxxiv. N.E. (Cf. No. 287.)
314. "Covernanters' Graves," Caldwell Burn. xxxiv. N.W.



315. Lochwood Tower. - This tower occupies
a naturally strong site some 6 miles south of
Moffat, which is defended to the north by
broken and wooded ground and by the Loch-
wood Moss - once an almost impenetrable
morass - in other directions. The tower is
placed at the southern end of the site, with
a range of outbuildings extending 160 feet
northwards, where it abuts on the southern
defence of a circular mote-hill - Lochwood
Mount (No. 316). The buildings are in a
ruinous state, the main building being com-
paratively complete to the level of the first
floor, while the south-eastern angle stands
some 20 feet higher; the outbuildings are
mere shells.
On plan (fig. 84) the tower is L-shaped, and
was entered at the first-floor level. There
appears to have been no external opening to
the basement, an unusual feature. The larger
wing, with its main axis running east and
west, measures 43 feet 5 inches by 34 feet
exteriorly, with walls 6 to 9 feet thick.
Internally, the basement, entered from a

[Page] 114

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

CorrieBuidhe- Moderator, mikeh

  Location information for this page.