dumfries-1920/04-116

Transcription

CLOSEBURN.] -- INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS IN DUMFRIESSHIRE. --[CUMMERTREES.

circular cairn, from which the larger stones
have been removed.
xxiii. S.W. (unnoted). -- 20 June 1912.

83. Cairn, Auchencairn Height. - The cairn
on the top of Auchencairn Hill is a mere site;
the interment has probably been removed
long ago.
xxxii. S.W. -- 12 June 1912.

84. Tumulus, M'Mount, Knockenshang. -
The "tumulus" noted on the O.S. map on
the summit of the hill across the valley to the
west-south-west from the Gufhill Rig is now
a low, stony mound, with a diameter of some
8 feet, and with a few large stones lying on
the surface.
xxxii. N.W. -- 2 May 1913.

Sites are also indicated on the O.S. maps as
under:-
85. Dalgarnock Church and St Ninian's Well,
about 700 yards north-west of Kirklands
cottage. -- xxxi. N.E.
86. Chapel, Nether Mains. - xxxi. S.E.
87. St Patrick's Chapel, Kirkpatrick. - xxxi.
S.E.
88. Royach Cairn. - xxxii. S.W.

CUMMERTREES.
CASTELLATED AND DOMESTIC STRUCTURES.

89. Repentance Tower. - This tower (fig 4
of Introduction) stands on rock within an
old graveyard on the summit of a small hill
(350 feet), which is about half a mile to the
south of Hoddom Castle, and commands an
extensive view on all sides.
It dates from about the middle of the 16th
century, but has evidently been repaired in
later times. The walls are built of a local
pinkish sandstone set in courses with dressed
margins and jambs. On plan (fig. 32) the tower
is oblong, measuring externally 24 by 21 feet.
It is three-storeyed and terminates at a height
of 30 feet above ground level in a parapet walk,
within which rises a roof covered with over-
lapping flagstones and surmounted at the apex
by a central chimney.
The entrance is at the east end of the north

wall, at the level of the first floor, 3 feet above
the ground. On the door lintel is the word
REPENTENCE, executed in raised Gothic
lettering and flanked on the dexter by a
carving of a bird and on the sinister by a
scroll.
The ground floor has evidently been entered
through the first floor but is at present in-
accessible; from outside can be seen two

[Plan Inserted]
FIG. 32. - Repentance Tower (No. 89).

built-up gunloops on each wall. The windows
are small, with rounded jambs, save where
these have been reconstructed with rect-
angular rybats. At first-floor level a large
window checked for outer shutters has been
inserted in the south wall, probably in the
18th century, and in its turn is now built
up.
The lower member of the continuous corbel
course is original, the upper member and the
projecting gargoyles are later, if not modern.
The parapet has been reconstructed in the
early 18th century and has ashlar quoins
with channelled joints. The chimney is
similarly jointed, as is the doorway opening
from a staircase to the parapet walk, and
the south-west angle of the tower has been
repaired at ground level with channelled
quoins. the entrance is reached from the
exterior by five modern steps and has been
closed by two doors.
The interior of the first floor is lighted by
several narrow windows or loopholes and by
the later window in the south wal. within
the south-east angle is a recess, its stone sill
raised about 2 feet above the floor level. The

-- 37

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

valrsl- Moderator

  Location information for this page.

We're working hard to make our services better for you. While we're doing some essential maintenance, this website – or parts of it – might be intermittently unavailable at times between Monday 18 – Monday 25 November. Thank you for your patience.