Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

dumfries-1920/04-111

Transcription

CLOSEBURN.] -- HISTORICAL MONUMENTS (SCOTLAND) COMMISSION. -- [CLOSEBURN.

upper floors have been altered and adapted
for convenience of occupation, and an attic
has been formed within the uppermost vault.
The crenellated parapets of the main building
and of the cap-house are evidently of recent
date. The castle is still inhabited, and is in
excellent repair.
A charter by Alexander II., of the period
1231-1232, confirms a grant of the lands of
Closeburn to Ivo de Kilpatrick. It is copied
into the Glenriddell MSS. ¹ In 1296 William
de Kilpatryk of the valley of Annan is a
prisoner at Windsor; ² and in 1299 Ivo, son
of Stephen de "Killeosborne," died a hostage
at Carlisle. ³

¹ Cf. C. Kirkpatrick Sharpe's Correspondence,
vol. i. p. 552; Grose's Antiquities of Scotland,
i.p. 150; ² Calendar of Documents relating
to Scotland, iv. p. 358; ³ ibid., ii. No. 1179.
xxxi. S.E. -- 6 June 1912.

60. Low Auldgirth. - Adjacent to the farm of
Low Auldgirth are the ruins of a small keep,
consisting of portions of two contiguous walls
some 3 feet 6 inches in thickness. The base-
ment has been vaulted with a simple barrrel-
vault.
xl. N.E. (unnoted). -- 1 May 1913.

DEFENSIVE CONSTRUCTIONS.

61. Fort, Townfoot. - On the western slope
of the moorland, about 1/2 mile to the south-
east of Townfoot farm, is a fort. It is
elliptical in form, lying north-north-wesy and
south-south-east, and shows a broad stony
rampart rising to a height of some 5 feet
above an encircling trench, now scarcely
apparent except at the ends. The rampart
has been considerably despoiled for stones
along the west side, and there are several
gaps in it. The principal entrance, however,
has evidently been at the north end of the
west side, opening on a slight hollow in the
interior. A stony bank faces the gap and
passes southward, flanking if for some 40 feet,
thereafter passing across the interior towards
the rampart on the east side. On the south
side of the entrance a low stony mound runs
outward as a traverse for a distance of some
30 ffet across the front of it. The length of
the interior is some 230 feet and the breadth

at the centre 175 feet: the rempart at base
0has a breadth of 20 feet where prominent at
the south-east angle, and the trench a width
of 25 feet from cres to crest. The width of
the entrance at ground level is about 7 feet.
The interior is very uneven and stony, showing
in one or two places evident remains of divi-
sional banks or walls, and rushes growing in
several spots suggest the presence of water.
The elevation of the site above sea-level is
800 feet. a section of the "Deil's Dyke"
runs parallel with the west face o the fort,
some 60 feet distant (see No. 80).
xxii. S.E. -- 7 June 1912.

62. Fort, Trigony Wood. - At the end of a
ridge which rises steeply from the northward,
overlooking Trigony House, are the remains of
an oval earthwork. It is situated within a
thick fir wood, so that its outline is now
difficult to follow, while measurements are
almost unobtainable. According to the O.S.
map, the dimensions are approximately 240
by 200 feet. the defence consists of a single
trench, where best preserved some 13 feet in
breadth and now nowhere of greater depth
than 2 feet, with a slight mound above the
scarp, and probably the same above the
counterscarp. along the east side the trench
is barely traceable, and on the north-west
there appears to be a gap of some 60 feet,
where it has disappeared entirely.
xxxi. N.E. -- 12 June 1912.

63. Fort, Crichope Linn. - In the field on the
north and near the head of Crochope Linn, are
the remains of a fort. With its base resting
on the precipitous bank of the Linn about
80 feet in height, it extends to the north-east
with two straight sides some 136 feet apart,
formed of a trench and inner rampart, now
imperfect on the north-west side, which are
connected by a segmental curve towards the
north-east. The lan appears to be an irre-
gular ellipse, with its major axis from north-
east to south-west. along this axis it measures
to the stony dyke which cuts across it at the
side of the Linn 212 feet, and where widest it
extends some 40 feet farther to the edge of the
bank. The surrounding trench has had a
width of about 28 feet from crest to crest,
and, on either side of the entrance, where it is

-- 32

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

valrsl- Moderator

  Location information for this page.