dumfries-1920/04-103

Transcription

CAERLAVEROCK.] -- INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS IN DUMFRIESSHIRE. -- [CAERLAVEROCK.

an oval fort (fig. 25) surrounded by a rampart of
stone and earth, with a terrace or trench now
filled in, before it, some 18 feet broad, having
a mound on the outer edge or counterscarp.
The enceinte has its longest axis north and
south, measures some 210 feet by 180 feet,
and rises in elevation towards the north.
The rampart along the north arc at the edge
of the interior is scarcely perceptible, but
around the lower part of the periphery it

[Plan Inserted]
FIG. 25. - Fort, Ward Law Hill (No. 35).
[Written in pencil] see Antiquity 1939 plate IV 4

a height of 3 feet 6 inches or thereby on
the inner side, and a ramp some 8 feet in height
to the terrace, which lies at a general level of
6 feet above the ground outside. There is
an entrance from the west some 5 feet in
width. On the north arc, in front of the
highest point of the fort, and where the parapet
is not observable, a slight mound is carried
along the terrace some 15 feet out and 4 to 5
feet back from the edge, is brought forward to
the edge as it passes eastward, and eventually
merges in the inner mound beyond the pro-
minence to the north on the east side.
lxi. N.W. -- 24 July 1912.

36. Fort, Craig Wood, Highmains Hill. - On
Highmains Hill, and within the Craig Wood,
to the south of Craig and some 3/4 mile to west
by south of Bankend, are the remains of a
curvilinear fort. The hill rises abruptly from
the north, and slopes away from its highest
level on the south-east by an easy gradient
to the north-west. From a point adjacent
to the steep face on the north a bold rampart,
some 20 feet wide at base, curves segmentally
across the summit where the ground commences
to decline towards the west, thence disappear-
ing in the slope. To the outside the rampart
has a height of from 4 to 5 feet, and is
covered by a slight trench. On the inner side
it merges gradually into the natural slope of
the ground.
lxi. N.W. -- 24 July 1912.

37. Kelwood "Mote," Bailie Knowe. - Situ-
ated immediately to the south of the glen
of Kelwoodburn, and some 200 yards east of
Kelwoodburn cottage, are the remains of a
small circular fort. It lies on cultivated
land, and appears to have been surrounded
by a single rampart and trench. The interior,
which is on falling ground, is somewhat
basin-shaped, dipping towards the centre from
the surrounding rampart. The contour of
the rampart is now rather indefinite, but the
diameter of the enclosure appears to have
been some 150 feet.
lvi. S.W. -- 25 April 1913.

SITES.

38. Earthwork, Ward Law. - About 300
yards north by west of Wardlaw Fort (No. 35)
is the site of an earthwork. It has been
almost entirely obliterated by the plough, and
only at the north end does any trace of it
remain, and that a short ill-defined stretch
of straight rampart with a slight depression
in front of it to indicate a trench. Were it not
for a dip in the field dyke this fragment might
escape observance.
lxi. N.W. -- 25 April 1913.

39. "Earthwork," Blackshaw. - The O.S.
map marks an earthwork on the south side of a
farm road and about 1/4 mile east of Blackshaw.

-- 25

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

valrsl- Moderator

  Location information for this page.

We're working hard to make our services better for you. While we're doing some essential maintenance, this website – or parts of it – might be intermittently unavailable at times between Monday 18 – Monday 25 November. Thank you for your patience.