Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/29/25/6

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
LINTON (Parish) Linton (Parish) continued "Stone Cannon Balls " have been discovered by Mr Borwick the Tenant- A church or Chapel belonging to the Established Church appears to have been formerly at Hoselaw; the remains of this Chapel and of a Small burying-ground attached to it were visible till lately, when, by the operations of the plough, they were wholly effaced- the site of this Chapel is inserted on 10.12.
The ancient Fortalice or Tower of Linton, of which there are not now any vestiges, and which was formerly the residence of the Somervilles, stood on an eminence now Covered with Trees, near the Church, which overlooks it, about 49 years ago (1810) a large Iron door was dug out of the Cavity, which still remains to Mark the site of the Dungeon-

Continued entries/extra info

Parish of Linton
[Page] 6

[Signed] W. Beatty

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Chr1smac -Moderator, elxosn

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.