Scheduled Website Maintenance 14/07/20 00:00 – 04:00GMT – There will be periods of time during this window when this website will be unavailable.

OS1/29/24/50

List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
TOWER (Site of) [Lilliesleaf] (Site of )
Tower
New Statistical Account
Fullerton's Gazetteer
Revd. [Reverend] Mr. Gourlay Minister
014.09 The largest "Tower" of "Fort" in the parish was at the eastern extremity of the Village. It was situated on the highest part of the ridge upon which the Village stands, and from its being two stories high, must have commanded a very extensive View. Its defence would also be assisted by the large Pool and Morass on the South, by the river Ale, and the steep ascent on the North - of this largest Tower, the only remains about 26 years ago (51 years) consisted of a part of one side, which was of great thickness & strength, & of stones, which shewed that its form had rather been an oblong than a perfect square. it might easily have contained 100 men within its walls.

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 50
Parish of Lilliesleaf
[Signed] W. Beatty
[Signed] A. Barnaby
Major R.E. [Royal Engineers]
30 Nov [November] 1859

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Trondragirl- Moderator, eddlerose

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.