List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
GAOL [Stornoway] Gaol
James Brown
John Urquhart
John MacKay
Donald Murray
027 On the Eastern side of the town 2 chains South of the Church

A substantial stone building, nearly the largest edifice and apparently the best piece of architecture in the town, it is on a very commanding position which from some distance especially towards the harbour has good effect, the erection of it was commenced in 1844 and finished in 1846. It is divided into two parts, the Prison and the Court house. The Prison was complete at the expense of the County and the other part at th expense of Mr Matheson. the whole is estimated to have cost £1800. It is capable to contain 60 prisoners.

Continued entries/extra info

Parish of Stornoway

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

David Powell

  Location information for this page.