List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
CROSS (Removed A.D. 1854) [Scone Palace] Cross (Removed)
Cross (Removed)
Cross (Removed)
Cross (Removed)
New Statistical Acct [Account]
Revd Dr [Reverend Doctor] Crombie
Mr William Keay
J. Condie Esqr.
086 The ancient cross of Scone now stands on the south side of the carriage drive from Old Scone to the palace, in a square bench of earth, in height about 6 feet. It formerly stood some ten yards north of its present site in the centre of the avenue, but in making that carriage way, ten years ago, the cross was removed to where it now stands, and the bench of stone steps, which surrounded it, used for building purposes.
"A little to the east of this "(an ancient gateway)"is the cross, the only vestige now of the village. It consists of an upright pillar, 13 feet high, slightly ornamented at the top, standing on a pedestal, surrounded by steps, and gradually diminishing to a small flat octagonal stage from which the pillar rises". New Statistical Acct. [Account]

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 45
Parish of Scone

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Bizzy- Moderator, IanDuncan

  Location information for this page.