List of names as written Various modes of spelling Authorities for spelling Situation Description remarks
TRAQUAIR CHURCH AND MANSE Traquair Church and Manse The invariable name 018 [Situation] about 8¾ Miles from Peebles, on the west side of the road leading from Inverleithen to Yarrow.
The present Church was built in 1788. It is a plain structure substantially built with a Belfry at the S. end, and capable of accommodating half the population of the Parish; but those inhabiting the detached portion of the Parish worship at Peebles which is more convenient in point of distance - all the seats are free. - There is an external flight of steps leading up to a gallery at the North end. This gallery as well as the body of the Church is comfortably but plainly seated. There is no other public place of Worship in the Parish & those of the Parishioners who dissent from the Established Church find their way to their respective places of Worship at the Village of Inverleithen. - The Manse (with a suite of offices; a well cultivated Garden, & a glebe of about 12 acres of arable land attached to it) was built in 1793-4 & extended in 1814. - (Statistical Acct. [Account] 1845). It is a comfortable house of two stories, & as well as the offices is slated. - The number of communicants in June 1855 was 96. - [Revd. [Reverend] James Campbell Minister. -

Continued entries/extra info

[Page] 27
Traquair Parish

Sheet 18-5

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.


  Location information for this page.