Continued entries/extra info

[page] 38

"The House of Skirling appears by the vestiges of the walls to have been large. It was
surrounded by a morass or bog except a small space on the South-west side and that
was defended by turrets. The entry to the house was by a bridge of stone over this bog." -- Pennicuik's History of Tweeddale page 263

"The Castle (the vestiges of which half a century ago showed its Considerable extent, stood
in a bog or morass which was crossed by a bridge of Stone. It was demolished
by gunpowder by the Regent Murray on the twelfth of June 1568 because its
Lord Sir James Cockburne had espoused the fortunes of Queen Mary for
whom at that time he held the castle of Edinburgh." -- Origines Parochiales page 185

Transcriber's notes

See also pages 37 and 39

  Transcribers who have contributed to this page.

Moira L- Moderator, JOANMUIR

  Location information for this page.

  There are no linked mapsheets.